PVR 8000T and integrated TV setup?

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Plastic Paddy, Apr 21, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anybody have experience of setting up the Humax PVR 8000T with a integrated digital TV?
    i've just been told by JVC customer relations that i can't get any VCR to find or record any digital channels with my new TV!!
    :censored:

So the VCR is going back whence it came and i'm looking to a HDD solution. i've trawled this and other forums and get the impression that others either think or know it can be done, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Can you keep it simple though as i'm a bit of a clown.:clown:

2. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,428
    You might find this review helpfull, if you look at the NB at the bottom of the page it seems to suggest that the PVR8000 will work fine with an integrated digital television. http://www.idtv.co.uk/_reviews/HumaxPVR8000T.htm
    I don't have an integrated tv myself so I can't give any assurance from first hand experience. I do however have the Humax PVR8000 and would highly recommend it, a superb piece of equipment:thumbsup:

3. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the feedback Tetlee.
    Thats a useful site link i hadn't spotted before.

4. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Emailed Humax yesterday and got this response:

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your email.

It is possible to use the PVR-8000T with your IDTV; this will give you two digital tuners so that you can record a digital channel (using the PVR-8000T) and then view a different digital channel (using the IDTV).

If you require any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Think i'll buy one.:clown:

5. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Of course you can I have a Pace Twin and an IDTV.

Some people have a Pace Twin and a Humax PVR8000T

There is no problem with multiple DTTV things

6. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks thats good to know, but it begs the question, what would you be doing with all those tuners??

Please remember that i'm a clown.:clown:

7. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    There should be no problem, after all it's just another external box connected to a RGB scart input. I don't have an IDTV but I have a PVR8000T and an old Pace ON Digital box plugged into two of the RGB scarts. The great thing about this combo or an IDTV/PVR8000T combo is that you can watch programmes while recording.

P.S the PVR8000T is a great piece of kit (and only £149 now) :clap:

8. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,428
    Or £144.99 inc. postage from QED http://www.qed-uk.com/q?i=&vp=10&s=humax, has gone up 99p since I bought mine :laugh: . But I was lucky with QED, I ordered on a sunday and recieved my Humax the following tuesday :clap: however if you order from them it's best to check stock availability first as I've heard of people having long waits due to QED awaiting stock. The good news is they are currently in stock and ready to ship :smashin:

9. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, ordered from QED today and they offered me a delivery slot for tomorrow! Remains to be seen.

Thanks everyone for your helpful advice.

10. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delivered this morning at 9am! Bloody hell! Lucky they had them in stock.:D

It comes with a scart lead but no RF cable so i had a bit of fun getting a signal until i twigged and looped through with a spare cable. Doesn't show diagram for this in manual either???

Got it all (?) working now and have recorded one channel while watching another on TV so great!

Bit bright in this room to give definitive opinion on picture quality, the football didn't look quite right, but hard to tell. Snooker looked better.

Do i upgrade the Scart?

Manual not good, but i've not had to call customer support yet. Not bad for 53 yr old clown. So far very happy, so thanks again y'all. :clown:

11. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,428
    Great to hear it was delivered fast and you're pleased with it, I think it's one of the best value pieces of kit I've ever bought. BTW did you remove the protective film from the mirror front yet? hard to notice it and gives the appearance of slight scrathes :laugh:
    I would get a better scart lead, at very least a gold plated one which aren't expensive, I don't think those silver ones are very good atall for digital and you should see an improvement in picture. Richer Sounds usually have some good value scarts and they tend to be happy to spend time to advise which one will suit you(and your pocket) best :smashin:
    Welcome to the Humax owners club!:clap: :clap: :clap:

12. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate. i was going to put up with the scratches.:blush:

Been looking through some back threads and i see a quote from your good self which peaked my interest;

Oh, and it looks damn sexy sitting ontop my philips dvdr75, surely they were designed to go together

i would love to place the 8000 on top of my DVD player, but i thought it would fry the HD? Am i wrong? :clown:

Note:
    Getting error messages Channel scrambled or unavailable Hope i can clear that up. Maybe the Scart ?

See there's new software (1.00.26) on their main site but nothing here yet. Didn't bother to register, so can't give full SP.:clown:

13. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,428
    Well that's the setup that I've had for the past couple months anyway, no problems atall. I certainly wouldn't put anything ontop of the Humax as I think those vents are for good reason;) . My Philips DVD recorder doesn't have any vents on the top so I wasn't concerned, especially with the fact that the Humax has some nice classy feet which raise it up a good quarter of an inch :smoke: .
    Those scrambled channels I think you'll find are the Topup TV channels (you have to pay extra for those, £8.00 a month, oh and they aren't that good and not available to Humax owners YET at least due to no card slot)
    My current software is PGTTF 1.00.09 so it sounds as though there must be an update available, that's something I haven't looked into yet, have to check it out:smashin:

14. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    I wouldn't put anything on top of the PVR8000T, it generates lots of heat. My first PVR8000T died after a few days with a thermal fault on the main board, but this was probably down to faulty new components rather than plain overheating.

15. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Waiting for analogue switch off!

Yes I'm fully converted I can watch News 24 on either TV:hiya:

16. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,428
    I agree Ikki, but we were talking about the putting the Humax ontop of a dvd player, not the other way around. Although the top of the Humax does get pretty hot (hence the vents of course) I've felt the bottom a few times ;) ;) ;) and it seems to stay quite cool, so IMO it should be fine as there isn't a direct contact between the equipment anyway. Of course Plastic Paddy will have to decide whether he wants to take the chance or not but personaly I don't see much risk.
    BTW, I just tested for a software update, it says that there isn't one at present, perhaps it's in the pipeline :thumbsup:

17. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i want to put the 8000 on top of the DVD but i was concerned about any magnetic radiation (?) from said DVD player. i think i'd favour a couple of rubber mouse mats between the devices, even if it just minimises vibration.

As for heat, i see that the 8000 is supposed to generate quite a bit, i may consider the Antec Notebook Cooler for £22. Runs off USB, so i'd need a hub, computers 30 feet away.

As for the error messages i'm getting, it happened a couple of times when i tried to switch channels to BBC1 or 2 and is cured when i flick back or forward a channel. It's frozen a couple of times too, which i don't want to happen when it's left to record. Getting signal strength of 80% and no problem now or ever with signal to my TV.

Still early days. But if i cure the teething problems and i can get rid of those scratches on the front, i'll be a happy little soldier.:clown:

P.S.
    Reference to new software on their global site.
    http://www.humaxdigital.com/
    Software dated March 22nd 2004. i'll pop back there now and see if i can't winkle some more info.

18. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. Think i made mistake.:oops:

New software for PVR 8000 and NOT PVR 8000T. :clown:

19. Ikki

Ikki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +97
    The 8000T has it's eccentricities, there is a very long thread at radioandtelly forums which will cover them.

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.pl?board=freeviewbox;action=display;num=1077194110

I find that the 8000T, which is based on a Linux OS, gets itself in a bit of a mix after a while and exhibits a few tell tale signs that it is going to have a minor seizure. At this point all that needs to be done it to turn it off at the mains switch on the back for 30 secs. This forces it to cleanly reload the OS, which does'nt happen when it is in stand by.

I have put sorbothane pads (from old insoles) under the 8000T's feet to isolate the vibrations from the HDD (only because it was buzzing).

Next step - fit a bigger HDD:smashin:

p.s. DVD players do not radiate any greater a magnetic field than any other piece of electrical equipment.

20. Plastic Paddy

Plastic Paddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Ikki.

i managed to trawl through that thread from start to finish and i think i've got the niggles sorted for now. The 8000 is a bit 'Heath Robinson' but i love it all the more for that.:)

If i turn it on from standby, i can watch or record for about 4 or 5 minutes and then it drops the signal. Another 2 minutes elapses and the signal comes back and stays back. So i either have to leave it switched on (No biggie) or allow about 5 minutes buffer before trusting it to record. i'm not the only one that has this added 'feature', what do you suppose it is? i'm guessing it's something thermal with the hardware. Anybody got any ideas?

As i would never trust the EPG to record sporting events anyway due to race restarts, or extra time being played, i can manually program buffers to compensate.

Must fly...got the baseball to watch before taking the dog out.

:clown: