Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pvr 101

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by pmj, Nov 9, 2003.

Tags:
  1. pmj

pmj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there,

I'm looking at buying a pvr but would appreciate a little advice from you AV gurus before I purchace. The boxes I'm looking at all include an integrated dvd player, they include:

Daewoo DHD4000D
    JVC XV-DDV1
    Samsung DVD-H40
    Thomson DTH7000U
    Thomson DTH7500

My question has 2 parts:

1) Which of these would you recommend and for what reasons (or would you suggest something else?)?

2) I currently have NTL cable - how would these systems work with it and how can I watch 1 channel and record another?

I appreciate these are fairly basic questions but if you could shed any light on the above it would really help!!

2. psflynn

psflynn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Just bought dth7000u. I am relatively pleased with it. Recording in standard mode gives 20hrs which is just about sufficient - but picture quality is fine.

You can watch a terrestrial channel and record a cable channel - but not watch cable and record a different cable channel - you would need a dual tuner cable box - ~(doesnt exist for ntl?)

I havent yet managed to control the cable STB from the DTH7000 recorder yet - but i believe it is possible.

DTH7500 is just a 80Gb version of the dth7000 i think.

Also bought it from unbeatable at a bargain price of 338+postage