Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PV5000. Aspect keeps changing. Why?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Bonzodogdick, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pani 42 PV5000 Viera

Why does the aspect keep changing when watching a sky movies film, between full screen & 16:9? Its on Panasonic Auto, but I dont know why it just suddenly keeps changing :confused:

And another thing. Even when Im watching something on 16:9, the film title (or credits) sometimes overlap the screen.

Is it me being thick and not grasping the concept of anamorphic viewing or is the TV throwing a wobbler?

2. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea,but your name has me chuckling.

3. TommyB

TommyB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ive got the same tv and it happens to me too.. mostly on movies.. or some adverts.. got used to it really.. whenever it happens i just change to a 16:9.. no real difference between the two

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    The only thing I can think of , is that the TV is detecting picture information on the black bars of the widescreen image, and then changing the aspect so that it can be seen.

This is probably down to the plasma overscanning the image. Unfortunatly there does not seem to be anyway of adjusting overscan on the PV500 at the moment. :)

5. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've noticed it too. Usually on channels that use a strange aspect ratio. For example, a lot of programs on Discovery Channel have an aspect ratio that is not 16:9 and not 4:3. It's more like 15:9 or 14:9 (smaller bars at the top and bottom). So the TV keeps switching between Just (with bars) and Zoom1 (with cropping). Unfortunately, the PV500 has no 14:9 to fullscreen zoom mode. So I mostly use fixed 16:9 mode.

I've sometimes seen the TV switch to Zoom3 mode when watching movies, cutting off a lot of the picture. When viewing movies, try fixed modes like 16:9, Just or Zoom1.

- Jerry

6. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the re-assurance that me TV aint bust :thumbsup:

On the subject of aspect (and please forgive my ignorance)

1. If the 16:9 mode is selected, does this always mean I will see the best of the film?

2. Will it always have black bars at the top & bottom in 16:9? (because sometimes I have selected 16:90, and the full screen is shown??

3. When the black bars are present, is that best?

:confused:

7. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    1. Unforunately not. Choose:
    - 16:9 if the source (usually DVD) is in 'anamorphic' format. A very nice (but lengthy) explanation can be found at http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/anamorphic/.
    - Zoom1 if the source is non-anamorphic ('letterboxed', mostly on TV, but sometimes on DVD as well).
    - Wide if a widescreen signal is detected. Well, you can't choose that yourself, the TV will automatically switch to Wide if it detects a widescreen signal.
    - Just, 14:9 or 4:3 for normal 4:3 TV broadcasts or DVDs.

2. No. It depends on the original aspect ratio of the film. If it is 1.85:1, then it is almost full screen (16:9 is close to 1.85:1). A lot of movies are 2.35:1, so even in 16:9 you will get black bars. Still, it is best to view these films with the bars. Do not try to zoom, because that will either distort the image or cut off parts of the picture...

3. ... except for letterboxed sources. If the picture looks squashed, try Zoom1.

- Jerry

8. Bonzodogdick

Bonzodogdick
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :thumbsup:

Thanks for clarifying that for me Jerry. Top man.

Bonz