Pv500

cliveuk

Established Member
Reaction score
my 37inch PV500 arrived today and i think its great but i got a question.. can you program the AV inputs into channel numbers... i.e in analouge channel 1 would select av 1 rather than going through the tv/av red/green/yellow or blue to select an input?

thanks

No you can't do that, It's a terrible way of accessing the AV channels isn't it,It's the worst thing about my PV500 IMO.

yeah it is a bit silly.. but like you so far thats the only thing i dont like the PV500 so i can forgive it :)

ok found another thing that really annoys me.. i just been channel surfing and on channel 5 the aspect keeps changing to wide and it comes up with "wide" on the screen almost nonstop is there anyway to stop this?

You must be using panasonic auto on the aspect ratio settings, I find this very erratic,On your CH5 it can't decide what aspect to set so it jumps all over the place.I personally leave mine on 16:9 for all sources, some channels are 4:3 but you soon get used to the slightly stretched image and it's far better than jumping aspect ratio's all the time.

if i select 16:9 it still jumps to wide??

Welcome to ownership trials and tribulations of the PV500 world. I have now had my 42PV500 for three weeks and have found the following PROs and CONs.

PROs
- picture quality can be very good on my Panasonic e85 great
- sound is great
- Like the ability to record directly to the SD card

CONs
- The remote control PIP buttons under the flap is a totally bizarre idea
- The way that you have to switch between input feeds is even sillier
- I hate the frequent and automatic switching of the aspect ratio
- I cannot get used the buzz on low volume settings, even though Panasonic state that all plasma's do this
-

Baggaa said:
- I hate the frequent and automatic switching of the aspect ratio

Well just set the channel to a aspect ratio of your choice... (except auto of course)

I love the auto setting... works very well with letterboxed 16:9 shows...

if i select 16:9 and then go back to channel 5 straight away it jumps back to wide and the it stays on the screen almost all the time

I had the aspect ratio thing as well until I changed it to 16:9, dont get any changing at all, not even on CH5.

No buzz on mine - only a gentle hum (slightly louder on the right side) that is impossible to hear unless you have your head just over the screen...

Moncs.. if i watch channel 5 it keeps coming up wide on the screen sometimes it stays on, if i press the aspect button it will change to 16:9 but few seconds later changes back to displaying wide again. am i changing the aspect in the right way it seems auto is over riding any setting i put in.

ohh and no buzz at all on mine so far

Baggaa said:
- I cannot get used the buzz on low volume settings, even though Panasonic state that all plasma's do this
-

It shouldnt buzz get an engineer out to it.

Why does every PV500 thread have to end up mentioning buzzing, it's really getting on my t**ts.

This thread is about an aspect ratio problem so why start talking about buzzing noises.

Buzzzzzzzzzz :rotfl: :rotfl:
Sorry couldnt help it.

Choose a channel that is displaying a 4:3 image. Then select 16:9 mode. once this has been done you should no longer have the auto aspect switching problem. If you do, then a service call out might be a good idear.

Doing this how ever will stretch the 4.3 pictures all the time. Any widescreen image though should look as it is supposed to be. I watch every thing in 16:9 mode unless I have a DVD that is not anamorphic. In that case I need to use the zoom mode :)

Dave.

Interesting humm..
Many thanks to all those that replied and suggested that I just switch to 16:9. I had already tried this and found that on many channels it keeps switching back to wide. Has anyone found an actual way for it to stay on 16:9 if I set it there?
I have also found that on Ch.5 lately it has started to display WIDE in the top left part of the screen. If I switch it to 16:9 it merely reverts to wide and keeps displaying it. This only seems to happen on Ch.5.
Just to keep you all updated on the buzzing front, it is still there and audible when the TV is on a low volume setting. I can hear the buzz from the sofa which is about 10/feet away. The buzz changes frequency when the brightness increases.
Might have to call in the engineer soon if this continues....

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom