1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500-Thoughts after 3 weeks

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zixer, Aug 30, 2005.

1. zixer

zixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For a start, thank God I found this forum, been a lot of help.

Easily set up (Cab) by myself and girlfriend, although trying to find the holes that the 2 spikes on the stand mate to the screen was a bit scary
    :eek:
    Watched it for a day or 2 before finding this place and realising how to get it on basic settings. (Why is it on Dynamic out the box?)
    I must say I have never noticed any line across the screen, at all.
    There is a *very* slight buzz when sound is mute (fans?), can hardly hear it.
    I did have a shimmer especially on blues, I bought an expensive scart cable from my Sky box to the telly, it has completely sorted it.
    Absolutely love the PQ on Sky/DVD. :)

Bad bits:
    I watched MotoGP (Eurosport) this weekend for maybe 3 hours, guess what I had up the top left of the screen?
    Yup, a slight shadow of the Eurosport logo... :rolleyes:
    It has faded now to almost nothing now, but I am concened.
    What will it be like when I get the xbox360?, when you can maybe have a brighter banner/logo etc for longer?

Lovely telly, but it should be able to handle the inputs that normal consumers will use it for, surely?
    If the burn in is not permanent after time, fair enough, but when does it become permanent? For a 2.5k telly [Swearing - edited Ekko Star, please read the forum rules]

2. Skeets_de

Skeets_de

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I received mine today. Fantastic picture :thumbsup: , but changing inputs is a real PITA, gads :thumbsdow . My 4 year old Phillips CRT did it a lot better.

3. zixer

zixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might buy one of them 8 for 1 jobs from Aldi's on Thursday... :D

4. zixer

zixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As an Addendum (SP) the shadow has now completely dissapeared. No sign of it at all now. :thumbsup:

5. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    You may get some slight image retention for the first 200 odd hours, but not screen burn.

What are your settings?

I did my mates and to stop the whites being crushed on his we had it at about 35% for contrast, and his black level was around 40%, maybe a little more. That was in cinema mode of course.

I am not saying these settings will be the same for yours, all I am saying is don't be afraid to move away from that magic centre spot that everyone seems to cling to. If you are getting image retention I bet your white level is set to high.

6. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah dont be concerned about any image retention Zixer.....read this very informative link to ease your troubled mind http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/p.../273087528Pioneer DTV White Paper - FINAL.pdf
    and just keep your settings down as recommended for the first say 150hrs (remember to check all input settings as each has its own. The pq in my opinion improves with age to. PS forget Dynamic exsists for good if u dont mind living without as apprently it lessens the life of the set...Its to overdone anyway

7. zixer

zixer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

8. RayB

RayB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

9. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    Yeah on the couple I have had a play with both sets were set at around 35% contrast, and brightness was at about 40%, and all picture tweaks were off.
    I know Gordon did Mals set though and he said he had contrast at around 70% or up high anyway!

10. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    Here are my settings:

Attached Files:

11. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    MAL, I have an additional item in my menu which is PNR (currently set to off) Just wondering why yours does not show this ?

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,583
    PNR is only available on certain inputs.

13. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks very weird to me. The contrast is very high while the sharpness is almost gone?

Assuming you run at least DVD I think the factory default is the least you should set the sharpness to. For HD I´ve set it to about 3/4 which realy adds sharpness without raising the noise level.

But your setting just seems to low, even for DVD... :confused:

14. mik

mik

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I also have the sharpness on around the same mark following the dve setup though my contrast isnt as high but I am tempted to give those settings atry

15. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IMHO once the set is ran in u can afford to push the settings a bit higher....after all its your tvs so why not enjoy the picture u like :)

16. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +626
    The only thing that looks weird is the contrast, sharpness looks spot on, at 50% it is adding noise.

But every set is different, so you can't really compare.