1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500, the colour just drained out of my face..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by orange66, Aug 1, 2005.

1. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well, after going through a 100 hour warm up period with low settings, only using cinema mode, contrast below 50%, I let the family use the set. My daughter had cbeebies on for 4 hours, one day, about 2 the next, and 2 the next 2 days. I turn on the grand prix today, and guess what, I have a cbeebies logo in the sky.

I read the nice little cop out clause on page 56 of the manual. But this hardly constitutes misuse of the set. Will phone them tomorrow for advice. Most tv channels these days use logos. (the grand prix was 3 hours solid with a white F1 logo bottom left) They seem to be saying yes it is a tv, but dont use it as one. Trading standards will be my next port of call after that.. :thumbsdow

2. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You have my sympathies on this one :confused:. It would seem that the PV500 is susceptible to screenburn, as I observed exactly the same phenomenon on a 42PV500 in Comet on Saturday, with the QVC logo and bar burnt into the screen - http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=230988 .
    This isn't the sort of reliability you'd expect from a set of this price level.

3. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    It's highly likely that the 'burnt' in logo will disappear after a short while.

John

4. Alan A

Alan A
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont think the price of the set has anything to do with it. It does seem to be a problem for all plasmas, regardless of their price.
    The problem is the sattellite channels that insist on permanently having a static logo or DOG on thier screens, with the childrens channels the worst.

5. Stampax

Stampax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +52
    I thought screen burn was considered to be a thing of the past????? thi is seriously worrying, no way i want tp spedn 2 grand on something if thats gonna happen.
    Does this mean computer games shouldnt be played on a plasma either? Are there any makes of plasmas that are better for coping with screen burn?

6. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Panasonics are generally regarded as pretty much bomb proof as regards screen burn.

Bear in mind that permanent screen burn is not the same as image retention. I notice image retention on my Hitachi 5300 but it always goes after a while of watching a different channel. I've used mine with a PC, XBOX and PS2 and have had no problems with permanent screen burn.

John

7. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Without wanting to sound patronising, letting your kids watch 4 hours of telly a day sounds like you'll end up with more problems than just screenburn...

8. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    ;) how did you want to sound Sulis?

9. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not another do gooder :mad:

Why not stick to the facts instead of trying to create a "kangaroo" court on childcare.

It really boils my p--s when i see that kind of reply,is it just me or are there some strange people in the world?

Trisha is the place if you want to have a petty spat :D

Shame about the tv though, ive a feeling it will fade in time.

10. hs77

hs77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    From the way you describe it it sounds like either ghosting or RF modulation rather than screen burn, and the fact that Comet use Rf( aswell as unscreened ariel leads ) to supply a picture instore suggests it was the setup not the plasma thats at fault there

11. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    I have left my PW6 and HD6 on all night with a logo on the screen and never had a problem.
    I think yyou will find it gone within a couple of days, don't panic.

And you should find that once calibrated all the picture settings will be under 50% anyway, if it is the same as other Panasonic screens.

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Mine has been doen by Gordon and mine aren't all under 50%...

13. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    If you have got a DVE disc try going through a few of the test patterns, Black and white screens, the white screens may 'burn out' the logo after a few tries.

14. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Really, that is interesting.
    Did he adjust the greyscale, gamma and saturation globally in the service menu before making per input calibrations?

15. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    Contrast at 100% on Dynamic and contrast at 100% on Normal isn't the same....Contrast at 50% on Dynamic and Contrast at 50% on Cinema mode are not the same.....You need to know what mode is being used....I imagine I left the contrast nearer 80% ish on Mal's set....No sign of white crush or stange greyscale effects which would suggest panel being overdriven.

I'd jsut watch some other material and see if it goes away....probably image retention...

G

16. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Jeez, some folk are touchy. It was just an observation. Don't tell me the same thought didn't occur to anyone else... :)

17. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How long does it take for image retention to go away, as the 42PV500 in Comet on Saturday must have been running the HD demo for at least 4 hours, but the QVC logo and bar were still clearly visible on the screen while the demo was running.

Also "hs77" mentioned Comet using an RF signal with unscreened leads, how could this cause image retention?

TIA

18. hs77

hs77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    It can't, but possibly it was just another TV signal that the plasma was picking up rather than burn in, its pretty common in stores where all the televisions are being fed by an amplified ariel signal and would obviously show up more on a big screen TV.

19. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But the HD demo was being fed to about 6 TVs, three plasma and three LCD, and only the 42PV500 had the QVC logo on the screen. Also none of the other TVs on display were showing the QVC channel.

20. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sulis,
    its not a case of being touchy, i would imagine your comments are not wanted , needed or have any bearing whatsoever on the screenburn.

It may well have crossed people's minds , but are too polite to mention it, surely it's none of your business so why bring it up?

Quite frankly "most" kids will watch at least 4 hours of tv a day, as will most adults so whats the big deal?

21. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Frankly, I get a bit ****** off with people who get insulted on other people's behalf. I'm sorry and rather amazed if I offended anyone, but I don't think it's a completely inappropriate issue with respect to screenburn, and I didn't realise that making wider observations was now taboo.

22. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +460
    general chat is the place to go and you can discuss it to your hearts content

23. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Exactly!

what the fudge has it got to do with the kids watching tv,it could be QVC or whatever!

Kids run in from school and dive straight on the tv, mine do and i did.

Am i alone in this,i think not.

BTW if its ok for you to make an observation then i will do the same, if the comment had of been directed at me i would demand an apology, we'll let orange 66 decide eh?

24. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the feedback guys. I spoke to Panasonic today and they suggested resting the set for several days with nothing but non logo input. If that fails, they want to send an engineer out with a multi hundred pound price tag to sort it out. Reading your posts has stopped my hair going grey anyway. Let's hope for the best.

I will say to any potential owners of this set; the warnings about avoiding screen burn are literally in the back of the manual in small print. Turn the screen off the bright settings the MOMENT you turn it on, avoid ALL channels with logos, and for freeview that means just the main 5 can be viewed, and follow advice on here about settings. I thought that after 100 hours I would be safe, but it doesn't appear so. Be careful. I hope it is just image retention as people have stated. And keep your current tv for logo channels.

As for the side debate on children. Well the first comment was mildy insulting. I let my children watch tv when they have free time, but I engage them over what they have watched and we talk about it. Some of it is very educational. My eldest is 2 years above her class in maths, the next one has a report with nothing but 'A's in it, and my youngest, just turned 4 years old, who was watching cbeebies can read and write.

EDIT:

A good source for breaking your screen in is the BBC dvd "The Lost World". It has no menu and is full 16.9 aspect ratio. I would say on balance, that these tv's are not ready for mass market. If this had been my parents they would have left the set on the mode it came out the box in, and would not have got to that small print in the manual. Pretty shoddy of Panasonic in my opinion.

25. hs77

hs77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5

Out of interest was this a internet purchase or a normal shop? I would have thought your dealer would have been first port of call, he/she might be able to get it swapped for a new'un as screen burn this soon after purchase must be considered a fault.

26. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Screen burn can happen easier within the first couple of hundred hours. It is documented what to do to avoid it, so it could not be classed as a fault.

27. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    OK - I apologise. Mea culpa. As the parent of a 4-year old and a 2-year old I know their appetite for the stuff. Attempting to engage mine on the educational concepts in Power Rangers Dino Thunder has not proved wildly successful...

As far as screen burn is concerned, I find that if you leave the aspect display on Panasonic Auto, then the picture often jumps between 16:9 and some other combinations - although a tad irritating, it does at least move the wretched logos around.

28. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It might be irrlevant - but shouldn't broadcasters be forced/told to change their logos so that they revolve every x minutes or even better mover from right to left and vice versa. Surely it can't be that difficult.

29. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +614
    Or just makes then semi translucant ***!

Is there not a wobbling feature on the PV500?

30. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    any legal people on this forum think it would be possible to take SKY to small claims about damage to there plasma`s? lol,i mean it is there insistance on logo`s that are wrecking plasma screens etc here.

i seen image retention on a pv500 myself when i went to demo one and it wasnt comet or currys but an AV dealer i have used for the passt 5 years,i have a pw7 myself and i fell asleep with it switched on displaying "end of recorded programme" for about 3 and a half hours and not one jot of image retention was on my display.i had only had it 3 days i think at this stage and it was well under the 200 hour mark.

SULIS,you come up with a comment about peoples kids what did you expect ? and then when you make a reply like

"Jeez, some folk are touchy. It was just an observation. Don't tell me the same thought didn't occur to anyone else"

and some one actually trys to explain from a different view point you go on the defensive lol.