1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 scart v component pic looks same

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Tuxedo, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Tuxedo

Tuxedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all :thumbsup: & thx for masses of useful info on setting up new 37"PV500 w(ith Panny SCHT1500 DVD (Home cinema) system).

I've connected the above with a QED Qunex P-CV1 component cable expecting to get a vastly improved picture over the freebie scart lead I once got with a Sony Freeview box (although it happens to have a whopping cm thick cable so I thinks it must be pretty good!). Only thing is pic seems indistinguishable between them - they're both very good. Is there a less subjective way of comparing pic performance without spending too much e.g. a test disc/pattern I can download etc.

Also, confirming some of the posts re progressive scan, I find the pic is better (less grainy) with Progressive Scan turned off. ;)

Also a tip for you during the running period which some people suggest. I'm zooming the screen to zoom 1 to avoid those annoying logos etc for fear of screen burn. Better safe than sorry - for a few weeks anyway!

Happy vewing y'all.

2. Kaminsky

Kaminsky
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a £40 quid IXOS component cable and now run my DVD player in progressive mode to my 37". Picture is miles better but I did initially forget to take off Dynamic mode - the picture was well grainy with it turned on.

3. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I'm not a believer in spending lots of money on video cables, yes there is big difference in seperate screened and unscreened cable due to cross-talk, but at the lengths many of us use our cables i.e. 2 to 3 metres at those lengths will make no difference in picture quality on a cable costing £10 to one cost £200! i work in the video industry and i know what i'm talking about. For a good component connection for example use good old RG59 coax cable, farnell do pre-made phono to phono RG59 cables, and only £3.50 for a 5M length, £3.80 for 10M! , x3 = £10.50... bargain... as for difference in scart and component cable, the thick scart you have is probably fully screened so you won't notice any difference in picture quality, only difference would be the difference in progressive and interlaced video, and the way the panny handles it.

4. Tuxedo

Tuxedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi & thanks y'all for your replies.

Both of your comments just underline the need for a less subjective way of evaluating pic performance. I wonder if the beeb still transmit that test screen thingy so I could record it on my DVD/HDD at maximum quality and then compare performance through scart or component.

Also, re interlaced or progressive. I have picked up from others that plasmas automatically de-interlace any way so its apparently best to switch pregressive scan off on the relatively cheaper bit of kit (DVD player) and trust this to wacking sophistication of telly to do for itself. Not sure if the science adds up, but I did find progressive off was a bit less grainy.

ciao.

5. leedebs

leedebs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Exactly the opposite on my set up (Panny PW7+Yamaha DVSL100) when I select progressive on/off I get a better picture when on. Thing is when I have progressive on (nice orange light on the dvd player displays progressive) and select the (i) info button on the Panny the display shows the following on screen:
    AV4C
    Wide
    Component
    Progressive input

When I select no progressive it displays the following:
    AV4C
    Wide
    Component

AND The display becomes fuzzy! :(

Would have thought that the Panny would be better at progressive than a cheapy dvd player?
    Is this because I am going through the dreaded media box I wonder?
    Must say I have tried all permutations of cables/leads and different inputs, Scart AV1/AV4 and the picture through component on AV4C with progressive scan activated on the Yammy dvd player is absolutely head and shoulders above ALL the others :smashin: .............apart from a little flicker I have just noticed on the Incredibles :thumbsdow ...........Oh bother! Why do I look and analyse things so closely? :mad:

6. Tuxedo

Tuxedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Leedebs... whats avc4 by the way.

I have component from DVD into component input in telly THEN

Scart from AV1 on DVD to AV4 on telly )for the sound) so what's AV4C. I've heard other people mention it too.

Ciao.

7. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +374
    AV4 component

On your 37PV500 you have AV4/S so you would have to cycle through the yellow button sub menu, PC/Comp/HDMI.

The grain you are experiencing is down to the superiority of the signal and clarity of the picture via component. It is most probable it's actually too good and picking out the grain from the source DVD material.

8. Tuxedo

Tuxedo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ekko Star,

Just to clarify - the picture through component (progressive switched off) seems v.good but only slightly better than scart. The grainy pic was with progressive turned on so I have decided to leave it off.

Essentially, my best set up seems to be compnent with progressive switched off.

Cheers. Tux