1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 reflections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by zeuthen, Jun 12, 2005.

1. zeuthen

zeuthen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm seriously considering the Panasonic 42pv500, but having seen it in various shops I'm a bit worried about the panel being to glossy for comfortable viewing.

Any comments on this from pv500 owners with real world living room viewing expirience?

Brgds,

Uffe Zeuthen

2. Stokesey

Stokesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All depends on where it's positioned I guess, mine is wall mounted and I don't have a problem unless one of the lamps opposite is on or the main light but I'm sure this would be the same with pretty much all Plasmas. This is the 1st time I've wall mounted so can't really comment if it's any better/worst than others..

3. zeuthen

zeuthen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, what about daylight viewing?

I assume this would mostly affect dark scenes like night scenes. Any observations on this?

4. simg

simg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive ordered my plasma and Im going to put it on the fireplace, is it comfortable viewing? as im not sure it will be okay, do u get good picture quality viewing it from that angle?

5. Stokesey

Stokesey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Daylight viewing is okay, I get a bit of reflection from the window but if the TV was cabinet mounted in the corner of the room I'm confident there would be little or no reflection.

As for your 2nd point yes more noticeable on dark scenes, just dim the lights and hey presto problem sorted, I reckon they are much better viewed in subtle or no lighting anyway..

6. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Cant say it bothers me or I have really noticed any problems.

7. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I get some reflections from the window (since the TV is nearer a window). I guess I can always close the curtains if the reflection is too much.

8. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i take it ya mean glossy as in reflective off lihgt?

all panels do that so your choice really should not be dictated by that sort of thing

9. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's as reflective as a normal crt tv in my opinion, so if it's really bright in your room and you like to watch movies during daylight...it's not so great

10. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i have just had a demo of PV500 in my lounge ..is situated in a corner , window is approx 20 ft in front . reflection is just as bad as crt great pity as pic is very good in low light..will now look for LCD..am told is better in this situation..anyone with experience please ?

11. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It can be bad on dark scenes, but it is not as bad as I had feared. See these two attachments: One with a bright scene and one with a dark scene from Shrek. I've turned the TV a little, so it is facing a window (worst case scenario). These pictures were taken on a bright sunny day and there is a lot of light coming through the windows. In reality, the reflection in the glass of the A/V-rack looks worse than the panel's. Daytime TV-viewing is doable, but I'm going to get something to cover the windows.

In bright conditions, LCD too will lose detail in dark areas. But the reflection is less than on plasmas and the light 'scatters' more. So it does not distract as much as plasma.

Attached Files:

12. sodgob

sodgob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks jvwaard for your comments , i see from your pics , you have your video recorder Etc. behind glass, does your remote work ok through the glass.?

13. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The remotes work without problems through the (clear) glass, even if I am not pointing them directly at the rack.

14. Artie Fufkin

Artie Fufkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Jvwaard, I am glad that you are happy with you screen, but those reflections are what is putting me off buying a plasma.

For goodness sake, I was thinking of spending a couple of thousand pounds to get a wall-mounted screen with excellent picture quality and it will be ruined by reflections from my windows. Might as well buy a T***.

And the thought of having to pull curtains / blinds down to watch a decent picture is absurd. I'm now looking seriously at DLP,some of which have non-reflective screens like my CRTRP.

15. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    It was a concern for me as well. It was a choice between the PA50/PV500 plasma and Philips 9986/9830 LCD. LCD performing better at daylight, plasma at nighttime. I preferred the overall PQ of the PV500 and was willing to put up with the reflection issue. Which is only an issue during sunny days anyways (not usually the time to watch TV, except for F1). From 5pm onwards there is no direct sunlight and no problem anymore.

At work I have to pull down the blinds quite often, to keep the sunlight out of my LCD screen. And cinemas are almost completely blacked out to get the best picture. So it is not as absurd as it may seem imho. Since I'm living on the 1st floor (or is it called 2nd? I mean one floor up from ground level) and the window is facing south and there is nothing to block the sun, I need curtains/blinds anyway. Without them, my living room turns into a sauna.

- Jerry

16. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Day time it is bad but I only tend to use it to watch movies late at night with the lights dimmed. The glass IS very reflective.