1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 - Quality with Sky?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jamezm, Aug 18, 2005.

1. jamezm

jamezm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    :) Hi guys,

Extremely knowledgeable forum here! Before you start, I know there are thousands of threads already about the PV500 but my query is specific...

I have an existing 28" Panasonic CRT which has an extremely sharp and clear picture (high quality RGB Scart cable from digibox). I am worried about losing some of this quality when making the jump to the PV500 plasma. Some people have voiced disappointment with the PQ of any HD plasma if connecting via an RGB Scart - can anyone confirm or deny this? Panasonic themselves said this was inevitable if connecting an analogue source to an HD display...

What do people do to get the best picture quality from Sky to their Plasma? I could try:
    Digibox > RGB Scart > DVD Recorder/Player (Panasonic) > Component Cable > Plasma...

If it would help. Thoughts anyone?

Pricewise I have been seeing the 37" PV500 for around £1980, fingers-crossed for price drop later this month.

Cheers in advance.

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Plasmas put out what you feed em and are a little unforgiving with low quality sources. Sky will probably look a little worse on the plasma(not by much) because of the low bit rate transmissions.
    To improve the picture you could try an RGB to VGA convertor and rig it up that way through the VGA socket. Apparently that does give a better picture.

3. pwood

pwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I have 42" PV500 and had similar concerns. Mines wired up through the Es10 DVD recorder as this was the only way to watch and record using RGB ( sky box only outputs RGB on TV scart) The PQ on good bitrate channels is superb. For Example the new c4 series Lost was far better than I ever hoped. Suprisingly the 500 deals with the low bitrate stuff very well also. I have tried looking at Sky via ES10's component outputs but the RGB feed is just as good imho with the advantage of leaving eES10 in standby. I've a quality freeview aerial installed and find the Freeview to be VG as well, again far better than expected.

I'd say PQ wise you will not be dissapointed just remember that any broadcast Picture noise is always gonna stand out more on a 42" set.

4. loxster

loxster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi all,this is my first post on this forum, ive been reading about the "price cut" which is supposedly going to happen at the end of the month,ive just placed my order for my 37pv500 online with currys for a total price of 1639 gbp.(del included).ive specified del date for 26th of this month,so ill keep you informed of the progress.
    i went on pricerunner>tv>plasma>pv500 dixons and currys are 350 gbp cheaper than the nearest retailers which shocked me big time. just thought some of you may find this helpfull.

5. Korum

Korum

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +679
    I had the same concerns as you when I ordered my 42'' PV500,I use the same scart lead as I did with my 32'' Tosh strata CRT and I honestly am amazed how good Sky looks, I'd say it's equal if not better than my Tosh.I don't know whether this is because the image is bigger and bolder or that the geometry is far better on the PV500 but I'm watching lots more sky than I used to.

Loxster, what 37PV500 is that price, ped or cab ?.I think that's an ecellent price either way and even with a price drop it probably wouldn't drop below that.I got my 42PV500CAB from Curry's online 6 weeks ago for £2220 delivered and I couldn't care less if the price drops because I got a very good price at the time.I'd take delivery of your plasma knowing you have got a very good deal after all this price drop is pure speculation in the UK market.

6. Worm

Worm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    But do you get a three year warranty. I paidd £300 more at panasonic shop but got the long warranty.

7. gur

gur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    pq on sky is far better than any other plasma I've seen to be honest. in fact on the channels which produced a fair amount of picture noise on my previous 36" crt, sky sports for instance with the graphics, the picture on the 42pv500 is very clean.On the better quality channels the picture is really superb, football on sky sports again is surprisingly good, better than my previous crt.

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    I used to own a 32" 100hz panasonic before my pv500 and can honestly say i prefer my plasma, colours are more vivid and like whats been already said the series lost looks fantastic, with a good source you cant go wrong. :)

9. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Personally I find the PQ is better with the SKY box connected directly to AV1 on the PV500.