1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 or PHD8

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by iangilroy, Oct 1, 2005.

1. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I'm currently trying to decide which way to go so any help would be appreciated. I have a 42PE30 at the moment.

In terms of stuff that I need to plug into the new screen, I have:

1. Component (RCA) from Denon 2805 - switches DVD player and Gamecube
    2. RGB SCART - from switcher with various consoles attached
    3. Another RGB SCART - from Sky digibox
    4. VGA - from laptop (occasionally)

My initial thought was that with a PHD8 I'd need a component (RCA), SCART and HDMI boards. The HDMI board isn't needed today but I'll need one before long. Using the VGA port with a JS box is an interesting idea but am I right in thinking that I'd lose widescreen switching? If so, that's a pain in the arse. Is the SCART board on 8th gen Pannys that much worse than JS -> VGA?

In many ways I'm tempted to go for the PV500 as it's pretty much a straight swap, will take 5 minutes to set up and it just does a lot more than the PHD8. By that I mean it has lots of inputs, analogue TV (I use channel 4 teletext every day for pages not available anywhere else), freeview (hardly ever use this though), SD slot, recording timers etc etc.

On the other hand, I prefer the look of the PHD8. The stories about image retention, the line problem and so on on the PV500 have concerned me a bit. I've also read - and this is something that I'd really appreciate comments on - that the PHD8 might display a better picture. I'm not sure if that's just based on it having more tweaking options or whether there really is a material difference in the panels used for each model.

The price of each is about the same. So...are there any convincing arguments around things like faults or performance that I should be taking into account?