1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 or can I do better

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by rscott4563, Sep 11, 2005.

1. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry for posting yet another one of those which plasma should I get threads, but as I'm in a bit of a hurry I hope you'll forgive me.... :smashin:

I've been asked to sort a plasma (42") out for a friend and I've been told that it has to come in at lesss than £2200 all in, it has to be a fully working tele, i.e speakers and stand. It will be used with Sky so tuner is not a necessity. Future compatibility with HD (50Hz 720p & 1080i via HDMI) is a must.

I've not been keeping up with the latest developments especially not at the lower end, so help would be really appreciated.

I've had a little look and found the Panasonic 42PV500 with stand and speakers for £2209.

Is this the one to go for or is there better??

Thanks in advanced.

Ryan ;)

2. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    i think its the best, others may have a different opinion.

3. alarmeng

alarmeng
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im in the same boat here mate, i have the cash but unsure which to get.

Next door has just got a Panny TH42PE50 from Power house, got a stand and a dvd player with it all for £1980.00.I nearly went and got one but then i saw the PV500 and now a bit stumped.

I follow whats going on in here 1st before i lay out my dosh.

Gaz

4. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    I think the best 2 options will be either the panny pv500 or the brand new pioneer 436xde. probably looking at £2500 tho.

5. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree...if you don't want high def look at the 42PE50

6. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Im getting my Pv500 from JL with 5 year warranty including stand for £2249 seems like a good price to me.

7. AndoverRed

AndoverRed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Ryan,

If you are looking for a high def compatible TV, then the PV500 is a good choice at this time, especially if you can pick one up for £2,200 (including stand and speakers).

The NEW Pioneer 436XDE is getting good press and will most likely beat the PV500 in the PQ stakes. However, a 436XDE with stand and speakers is likely to cost circa £2,800 initially.

Another option to consider are the Panasonic panels - PWD8 and PHD8. The panels have no speakers, stand, or tuner by default. The PWD8 is HD compatible with a HDMI terminal board (but will downscale) and has an integral VGA port that supports component. These plasma panels are circa £1,800 and £2,400 respectively, including stand and speakers. The cost will vary depending on the stand and terminal boards selected. The popular belief is that the panels produce a better quality picture than the PV500.

If the budget is £2,200 max and HD compliance is required, then it's a choice of the Panasonic PV500, Panasonic PWD8, and the Hitachi 7200 (bit of a dark horse).

I would go for a PWD8 and scaler to maximise PQ. Check out the AV-Sales offer in the AV Hardware Special Offers forum.

Regards

Mark

8. edggie

edggie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have herd allot of good things about the pv 500 but have yet to see it with HD Feed. Has any one got any views on the LG rz42py10x (ESt£1850) in comparison as i have seen it with HD feed and thought it was Excellent! LG plasmas any good then??? :confused:

9. tscotsman

tscotsman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Have to say I was in JL today getting an update on the stock situation for my Pv500. They had a HD feed running from a JAP Hardrive and it was stunning on the 37" pv500. He also let me see Freeview for the first time and it was very good with very little artifacts unless you were really close. He also stuck on a DVD, Monsters Inc and it was very good.

All I can say is after what Ive seen today Im very much a happy bunny and cant wait for my 42Pv500 to arrive!!!

10. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HD is likely to look great on any HD screen, and Pixar stuff makes any plasma look at its best. The real test is how it does 'normal' progs, and I'm happy to say that my 37PV500 does just great on SKY+ (about 90% of our viewing).

11. Hotshot147

Hotshot147

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Same here Sulis my picture quality via Sky is very good, just as good if not better than my old panny crt.The vast array of vibrant colours is amazing.

Cheers.

Chris...

12. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    I also agree I am happy with my PV500, it would be interesting to see the PV500 and 436 next to each other but I think you will pay a premium for the Pioneer. The picture on the PV500 is superb, he colours are fantastic and it is a very realistic picture. I still look at the picture and think 'wow' after 400 hours of use. I can't wait for my xbox 360 to start playing games in hi-def.

13. mattboyslim

mattboyslim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ive got to join in on this as well. I am absolutely over the moon with my pv500 and have noticed absoulutely NONE of the problems mentioned in previous threads. I have had mine for about a month now and held back making any comment but have to say the picture quality on freeview and sky + which I use most of the time is simply stunning. DVD picture is great, im a very happy bunny!!!

14. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I went for the PWD8 - stunning picture, I'm very happy with it. the 42" cost less than £1400 including wall-mount, additional component board and lead so it's a cheaper option than the pv500 if you're not fussed about speakers and tuner.

15. andye2004

andye2004

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Where did you get it all for that price?

16. SteveG

SteveG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Spectrum UK. Free AV lead with purchase and try haggling with the accessories prices ;)

17. rpb

rpb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just seen a 42PV500 in Dixons and I must say the display looked a bit ropey - quite pixilated.

1 This could have been an analogue signal. I will check next time

2 It could be that I am used to a biggish CRT and any big plasma is going to look a bit fuzzy in comparison

3 I did not like the thick edges and all the silver.

I may start to look at a panasonic panel or the new pioneer.