1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 or 42PD7200? sorry if been asked already.

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by FishDUDE, Jun 20, 2005.

1. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Hey,

I'm wanting to get a 42" Plasma and the PV500 looked like a winner but I've seen a few reviews of the 42PD7200, now I just don't know.

Help!

Please!

Thanks, sorry again if this has already been asked in prev thread.

Ta.

2. foz

foz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    well all the buzz seems to be around the pv500 and that would be my personal choice,well it was as i bought 1 last week.i did see an hitahi running high def content in town and was very good so wont go far wrong with either but the panasonic is widly regarded as a superiour picture and is true progresive scan.

3. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A lot of store is being made in this forum about the PV500 being progressive scan against the ALIS panel of the Hitachi being interlaced. It's also continually pointed out that far from being a 1024x1024 panel, the Hitachi is really only 1024x512. Is this ALIS panel bashing merely to try and reinforce the superiority of Panasonic plasmas (not that any reinforcing is necessary), or are these design features of the Hitachi panels really such a terrible drawback?

I've spent some time viewing both models in various shops, and to me the Hitachi looks fine from a variety of input sources. The Panny obviously has the edge on black levels, but unless you're viewing them side-by-side, they both look fine to me. I really like the aesthetics of the Hitachi, compared to the very heavy bezel and large overall size of the PV500s, but every time I see postings about the 42PD7200 it's always they are ok BUT for this, that or the other. Does it really matter what technology is behind the panel, as long as at the end of the day it gives a cracking picture?

4. azz

azz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I was in the same boat and when i saw the PV 500 in the flesh i was very disapointed with the unit itself ie aesthetics because this was the one i was intending to go for. But it is a TV 10% of the time and expensive furniture the rest!

Hitachi-3 digital connections, looks better and cool stand and now free dvd player by redemption (portable) see www.homecinemachoice.com. And all for hundreds of pounds less.

I think not having a intergrated freeview tuner is a bonus as future freeview tuners are getting better and cheaper.

On the down side dark scenes on freeview loose some of there detail but i didnt think the panni was much better. Also alis pannels are supposedly more likely to suffer screen burn but the hitachi does have some anti burn in features so only time will tell.

John lewis have both so check them out and decide? A recent magazine review put the panni top of the pile with pioneer and then the hitachi but dont believe reviews?

Azz

5. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, No, NO!

The ALIS panel is 1024 by 1024. It is not 1024 by 512. That is misinformation.
    It is interlaced horizontaly but that does NOT = 1024 by 512. It's just a different type of display technology.

Don't listen to those who tell you not to touch ALIS as though it is somehow hugely inferior - it isn't. It's just a different way of doing things.

Try to get a look at the 42PD7200 running a few different sources and judge the picture with your eyes. The contrast is not quite up to the same level as th Panasonic although it is still good.
    I've seen it properly set up and it gets a very good picture indeed.
    The Panasonic also gets a very good picture but some owners are complaining about an auto-contrast adjusting feature which apparently can't be switched off. Again you should try to test it with a variety of sources to see what your eyes tell you.

If you search online you can get the Hitachi for £1830 ish (including it's motorised stand) if that's important.
    The Panasonic seems to range between £2200 - £2400 ish depending on which stands etc you want.

6. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that the Hitachi is a 1024x1024 screen :), but some on here try to denigrate it by saying it's effectively only 1024x512. I don't really care what technology it uses, as long as the picture looks good, and it does on the 42PD7200.

I agree, most of the time the TV is simply a (very) large piece of furniture, and the Hitachi wins hands down in this respect :thumbsup:.

I'm still very tempted by the Hitatchi despite the PV500s having the edge picture wise.

Decisions, decisions :rolleyes:.

7. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    The only way to tell is go and look mate.
    What suits everyone else might not suit you.
    The Pannies have better blacks, no-one would argue any different.
    But the 7200 still has good blacks.
    All I can say is, now that I've got my 7200 set up the way I like it, I'm very happy with it. The default settings are garbage.
    The 7200 has the auto contrast change thingy too, which really annoyed me (and I'm sure it'll annoy you) it makes the picture flicker, big time.
    But you can turn it off on the Hitachi :smashin:
    I would say screen burn is not a problem at all on the 7200 as long as you follow normal precautions.
    Oh, and the motorised stand, although a bit of a gadget, is actually quite useful :thumbsup:

If you do go and look, I'd suggest writing down some of the settings that have been recommended on these threads, which might put the screen in the right ball park, so you can get a better idea.

8. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    LDLC: sorry fella, that wasn't aimed at you I just find it strange that people spout nonsense such as the 1024 by 512 lie. I can't understand what they stand to gain from it unless they actually work for a rival company or something?!?!?

I'm still torn between
    PV500
    PD7200
    and Pioneer (although I think they have new models due?!?!)

I have had a surprise contender thrown at me though -
    Someone has offered my an ex-demo (although appears to be in mint condition) LG RZ42PY10X for around £1100.
    Now I know LG haven't had the best reputation lately (the PX11 had a quite ropey picture in my opinion) but I recently saw one of these demoing HiDef material in a shop and the picture was pretty good actually. I did see some lower quality material briefly and it seemed ok too. I just read a review in a magazine where it got 4 out of 5 and generally good comments for picture and sound.
    So now I have a moral dilemma - get the cheapy and save money towards a bigger screen in a few years time or a better sound system.
    Or get something a bit more state of the art.
    Decisions, decisions.

9. BaronSpamedi

BaronSpamedi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I think my order of preference is currently:

1) 42PD7200 or LG RZ42PY10X (ex demo, mint cond, £1100 - very tempting)

2) PV500 only providing someone finds a way of disabling the Auto-Contrast changing feature (which currently doesn't seem possible)

3)Pioneer 435XDE

10. LCDC

LCDC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    S'alright, no offence taken :). I also can't understand why some people have to knock differing technologies, if they prefer a certain make, fine, but don't reinforce that decision by carping on about other manufacturers as well :thumbsdow.

I'm torn between the following:

1. PV500 - fantastic picture and sound, but very thick bezel.

2. 42PD7200 - nice picture and very sleek styling.

3. TH42PWD7 - very thin bezel (in fact the 42" is smaller than a TH37PV500!), but only SD, an absolute bargain though, but needs quite a lot of add-ons to make it into a TV which brings the cost up.

I wish there were easier ways of spending £2000 :rolleyes:.

11. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Alis is simply a way of cutting costs. It uses the same drivers for 2 pixels, lighting them alternately. Hence 1024/512 drivers, 1024/1024 pixels. I hate the wretched things, but it's not the specifics of how it works, but how it looks, Hitachi customer service and the 'inaccessibility' of the screen processing that gets me down. If you are a PC user, or a potential scaler user, my advice is don't go there, it's very much what you see is what you get. This makes the big H a viable choice as a telly, a fairly crap choice as the display part of a high end home cinema. But then likewise most of the TV plasmas, including the others under discussion.
    BTW the PWD7 as a TV will nowadays be in the region of £1300. Bargain? Not half! It may have HD issues, (needs a scaler, though we gather now Sky are saying the 1st gen boxes will output component hi def) but then how many of us are really going to have HDTV in the next 3-5 years? It's taken that long for sky+ to take off.

12. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

13. Dan L

Dan L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    *whisper* it's "Panasonic"

LOL

14. FishDUDE

FishDUDE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Cheers, I think i'll just have to go and look at them both, the only thing that bothers me is the pq, not really bothered what the thing looks like as long as its not yellow or somin'

Thanks for the help.

FISHdude