1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 - New problems?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by e_python, Aug 8, 2005.

1. e_python

e_python

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I set up my PV500 over the weekend. :clap:

I have a 42" and have hooked it up with Sky digibox using a £80 scart lead. I purchased the TV from JL a couple of weeks ago. Dynamic mode is off, contrast etc is below 50% and I have tried Panasonic Auto Aspect and 16:9.

I have noticed following major issues :eek:

1) Shadow text. The search and scan banner and digital teletetext have a a major shadow around all the text, which makes the text unclear and looks very very bad. :mad:

2) "Pixelation" I am not sure if this is the right terminology but sometimes the pictue apppears badly pixelated just like a medium to low quality jpg. And then it changes back gradually to a more improved picture usually when the scene changes. :mad:

Having spent all that money I am starting I am greatly disappointed. :mad:

I am not sure if both of the above are faults or "features" of a plasma. :confused:

What can/should I do, please?

2. mickyd67

mickyd67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    C,

With regards to the text, I noticed that some text was little fuzzy - but nothing to write home about. I changed a setting on the picture menu, think it was the NR setting. I will check when I get home and let you know. That change sharpened the text greatly, and now it's more or less perfect. It's evident when you use the Sky menus and scan banner.

I wouldn't say any of the text I have suffers from shadowing - teletext on DVB is sharp for me (and much quicker than Sky)

In terms of picture quality. Some channels on Sky, like the music channels don't broadcast in the highest quality (as far as I am aware) even on my old Sony 33" CRT on the music channels you could see the pixels when the image changed. It's more to do with the broadcast as opposed to the plasma (I think).

Best to check this out on Sky's main channels - i.e. Sports or Movies. They shouldn't have such issues - but if you sit really close to the screen I'm sure you may still see that.

To be honest I am more than pleased with mine, the picture is phenomenal. I tried it out with a couple of DVD's just to see what it would be like and it was stunning. I tried Finding Nemo and Star Wars just to see what it would be like. That was only through my Playstation, with the cable you get with that - not even an expensive one. I did, like you, get a £70 Ixos scart for Sky+

As I say, I will have a look at what settings I have and let you know. I'm sure others on here may also have an opinion.

Hope you get it sorted. If you don't I'd go into the high street and look at their display models to see if you still see the same issues - if you don't then I'd get onto who you bought it from (quickly).

3. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Pyton......I have the same tv as you which ive now had for nearly a month and I noticed the same problem with pixelation as you from my telewest digital box which I assumed (probably correctly lol) that the source was a fair bit compressed and not helping the situation as dvd always gave wonderful pictures especially with well made discs....Ive also noticed that as the tv has bedded in a bit...ive now ran it over 100 hours the picture seems to have got better and better with all sources. I also think the pv500 has the ability to show anything bad for what it really is and not gloss over it like lesser equipment might....give it a chance to settle it cos it really is a lovely set IMHO...(btw ive not really used teletext but I will check it later)

4. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    e_python - I've not seen pixellation or shadowing as you describe it on my PV500. Are you in Cinema mode? And do you have all the NR and other 'effects' off? And, as mickyd67 said, which channel do you get this on? Can you check how good your SKY signal is?

Lastly, you are going direct from the SKY box to AV1?

5. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,596
    Is the pixellation there on DVD, if not, it is the signal. I have notice a bit of pixellation on DVB sometimes, but other times it is much better. Try news 24, that is usually pretty good quality.