Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

PV500 Installation Into Bare Room

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by Sundip, Jun 25, 2005.

1. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Your posts for installing the PV500 over fireplaces have been very helpful so I thought I'd log mine as I go so when I run into trouble someone can hold my hand...

This is my sitting room, it's quite small and is on the top floor with accessable loft space directly above. The chimney breast is 1600mm wide and the ceiling height is 2200mm. My plan is to install a modern inset gas fire into the fireplace and mount the screen as low as is safe above that. The entire chimney breast will be battoned out by at least 50mm with cabling led out through the ceiling and over to the cupboard in the corner shown in picture 2.

Heat: I would like to find out if it is practical to bring the new chimney breast out further and mount the screen almost flush with the wall in order to minimise convected heat from the fire which won't be used that much but I'd like to keep it possible. I would make several holes into the loft within the partition and put a couple of ventilation louvres at skirting board level each side of the fireplace to allow airflow for cooling the electronics. Any comments on that plan?

Cabling: The size of the room means that I will go for a small set of speakers, one each side of the fireplace on shelves or wall mounted and two at the rear of the room with cables led through the loft and threaded down conduit chased into the walls. Is there a plug system that would allow me to make the speaker wires in the wall permanent and simply plug the speakers in so that upgrades would be simpler? Cables for the front pair will come out of the side of the new studwork. If the flush mount plan is practical, I will try to mount the centre speaker into the wall between the fire and the screen or at worst, over the screen. Hopefully I can make it blend into the wall as much as possible.

All the rest of the stuff...will go into the cupboard and be fed from a surge suppressed block with cables running up through the loft and down to the panel. Is it OK to run the panel mains feed along the same route as the AV cables? I would like a single remote to run this lot if possible - I saw someone had used a Dell PDA in another thread, how does that work and what's the best way to bend the IR messages around the corner into the cupboard?

Sorry guys, that's a lot of questions for post number 1 but hopefully they will be of interest to other brave souls going down this path!

Attached Files:

2. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Access for maintenance and to the plugs seems like an emerging problem - can anyone suggest an wall mount that allows the panel to pull forward from the wall so you can get at the bacK?

3. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I originally posted the pictures of the bare room when I started this project in the summer but progress was slow and since no-one answered my previous questions I had to play by ear a bit...

This was the sitting room in my house. It's on the top floor with decent loftspace above for speaker cables and to allow the Panny to breathe. I mounted a remote temperature sensor in the cavity to monitor the air coming out of the set and after about 4 hours it settles down at about 27C which I think is not very different to sets on demo in stores that I have checked. The chimney breast was studded out and brought forward far enough (about 20cms, if I recall) to allow the lip of the screen to sit just proud of the surrounding trim, all of which can be removed to allow access to the plugs and cables.

All the cables run in the cavity out to the left where the equipment rack stands. I would have preferred to site the equipment away in the cupoard in the right hand corner but the cable cost and inability to see the front panel information put me off. The fireplace is gas and had to be modified to fit into the increased depth needed to house the screen.

It all seems to work pretty well. I ended up with an Onkyo receiver since Denon were in the middle of a model change and I couldn't find what I wanted - I think the Denon might have produced a brighter result but I'll never know now! There is still some cable tidying to do and a multi function remote to program (the Onkyo one is truly awful!) but I'm pleased with the result and it's OK to use just as a sitting room as well.

Roll on some HD material - I never got round to downloading a trial movie from the net but my DVD player is connected via HDMI so if anyone knows any demo CD's that exist I'd be pleased to hear about them.

Attached Files:

4. Scoop940

Scoop940

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
  5. Jon Boy

Jon Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Mate that looks superb , i love the colours and the way its all set up shows some real thought has been put into it! Top marks and well done on a very nice install :smashin:

Jon

6. shahedz

shahedz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,707
    finished article looks superb, really like the choice of colour, well done :thumbsup:

7. OBee1

OBee1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    :smashin: good choice of colours mate well done looks the business

8. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your kind remarks - I'm still hoping to get a lead on something HD to play on my new toy. Isn't there anything out there?

9. diesel

diesel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think EBay has a few DVDs that contain hi def material. They are about £7.50 each from memory.
    HTH
    Andy Brown

10. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - I'll take a look on eBay.

Supernovo, I couldn't see how to post pictures on the PM system so here's my answer (and your question, so as not to confuse anyone elso who reads this!) You asked:

I am in the starting phase of starting something very very similar to yours and just wondered, you appear to have a trim around your screen ? - where did you get this as it matches and completes the look fantastically, especially with the fireplace. For the record ive ordered a TH37PV500 so i may need a differant one to yourself ? - Also any further advice / or mistakes you learnt from would be greatly appreciated.

Figuring out how to get a really smart finish was one of the most interesting parts but my solution was pretty simple. I constructed the studwork so that the front surface of the plasterboard would fit behind the lip on the sides of the set and flush top and bottom. We built a wooden frame around the screen, far enough away so that you can get your hands in to de-mount it (it's three quarters finished in pictures no 1 & 2 above) and ended the main plasterboard panels halfway into each baton where they were screwed in place. The filling and painting of the main assembly was then completed and the set hung and cables routed. The gap between the screen and painted area was then filled with unfinished plasterboard screwed into place (picture 1 below) and then the join was covered by the trim itself. This is a piece of white mounting board from a picture framer. I had him cut the outer edges at an angle as he would normally do for the inner edges of a picture mount and then once everything was up on the wall I cut the hole for the screen. The trim is one piece and I had to make a single cut in the bottom right hand corner to mount it. Note that the bottom of the trim was narrower to take into account the silver panel under the screen. It's held in place with double sided carpet tape which sticks it to the unfinished plasterboard. If I need to get at the back of the TV for maintenance, the only damage should be to the back of the trim and the hidden plasterboard which can then simply be unscrewed. The trim is roller painted the same colour as the main walls in the room.
    While at the framer, I got him to make me an oval mount from the same board which I used for the speaker cover (picture 2 below). The flash makes it look rather crude but it situ you can hardly see it in the wall between the screen and fireplace. The cloth is course cross stitch material from a craft shop dyed with the same diluted emulsion paint used for the wall.
    Hope this helps.

Attached Files:

11. Taz69

Taz69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Hi m8, excellent result, its what I have been trying to get my head round, how to get the PV500 sat in the wall, flush etc, did you use 4" x 2" for the frame or deeper size, also my lounge is on the ground floor, so I havent got the facilty to leave a gap at the top for heat escape, anyone know if this will be a problem ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Taz

12. MR PROPS

MR PROPS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Great looking set up you have really done a pro job!.

As far as HD stuff goes, as far as I can tell even if you have an HDMI output on your DVD, it won't play HD DVD, I have the SAMSUNG 950 with HDMI output and that definately will not play HD DVD, your only option is to get someone or yourself to download 1080i or 720p material onto a disc, and play it on a XBox 360 that will pump out HD, this is what I am going to try this weekend, if anyone knows if this will work maybe they will let us know.

Other than that just waiting 'till the end of next month for the Sky bloke to come round and get me hooked up.

Good luck

13. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you just play the HD material directly from a computer? There do seem to be things online but all the ones I found seem to need a P2P network like Bit Torrent which I'm not keen to get involved with for security (and legal?) reasons.
    Please post any results you get.

14. Sundip

Sundip

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I answered your question by PM

15. Nasher79

Nasher79
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sundip - Looks great mate, well done.

Just a quick question. Im currently fixing up my room and have bought the same AV stand as yourself (Gale Vectra unless im mistaken). How did you find the cable management system? Or should I say find a way around the cable management?

Cheers