PV500 in Dixon's looked terrible

Q

qwiksilver

I was on the verge of buying a TH-42PWD8, until I went into Dixon’s today.

They had a Panasonic PV500 next to a LGRZ37LZ31 and a Samsung PS425HX and the PV500 looked terrible (all running the same HD feed.) Isn’t the PV500 mean to be far superior?

The PV500 was so dark in comparison, you couldn't see the detail because of this.

N.B. I asked the Dixon’s assistant for the remote and checked that the basic settings were good and all looked fine.

Any ideas?

I Have a pv500 37" and i must admit analogue isnt very good but the internal digital tv is very very good and sky is not too bad, i a just about to get a HDP scaler and run my dvd via sdi so it will be interesting to see how much the scaler imrpver the picture quality

Dixons and currys there image quality is crap, the should show all the tv's at their best rather and a crap analogue loop feed

cheers

richard

qwiksilver said:
I was on the verge of buying a TH-42PWD8, until I went into Dixon’s today.

They had a Panasonic PV500 next to a LGRZ37LZ31 and a Samsung PS425HX and the PV500 looked terrible (all running the same HD feed.) Isn’t the PV500 mean to be far superior?

The PV500 was so dark in comparison, you couldn't see the detail because of this.

N.B. I asked the Dixon’s assistant for the remote and checked that the basic settings were good and all looked fine.

Any ideas?

I think what may be happening is that dixons and currys havent any pv500s in stock but have got loads of lg and samsungs,Work it out. :)

gonzo said:
I think what may be happening is that dixons and currys havent any pv500s in stock but have got loads of lg and samsungs,Work it out. :)
:) Very possible..

fatrich said:
Dixons and currys there image quality is crap, the should show all the tv's at their best rather and a crap analogue loop feed
Actually I asked what input they were running and he said a £1,000 dedicated system with a hard drive Hi Def output with every TV running Composite.

qwiksilver said:
:) Very possible..

Actually I asked what input they were running and he said a £1,000 dedicated system with a hard drive Hi Def output with every TV running Composite.

Theres your answer, you can not run high def through composite.
Composite on most if not all plasmas will look crap.

he'll have meant component.

But then we are talking about dixons!
it probably is composite ;-)

it's scary isn't it....some poor people out there actually think these guys know what they are talking about and rely on them for guidance!

mep said:
it's scary isn't it....some poor people out there actually think these guys know what they are talking about and rely on them for guidance!
Trust me I’m not one of them… I’m an IT freelancer and we distrust and dislike Dixon’s/PC world employees as much as the AV industry.

When in there today I overheard the assistant convincing a customer that he had made the right choice paying £2,000 for the 37” LG and using the Panasonic 42” PV500 as an inferior alternative comparison. But comes back to the problem, the LG DID look far brighter and more detailed.

F.Y.I. This is Dixon’s in Camberley, Surrey.

I don't think you'll find a properly set up display in Dixons or similar places. It takes a while to get the picture settings right and they certainly won't do it for every screen in the shop, if any.

My local currys have DVD players connected via composite scarts and set up for 4:3 TVs in their plasma demo section. How they ever sell anything is beyond me.

qwiksilver said:
Trust me I’m not one of them… I’m an IT freelancer and we distrust and dislike Dixon’s/PC world employees as much as the AV industry.

When in there today I overheard the assistant convincing a customer that he had made the right choice paying £2,000 for the 37” LG and using the Panasonic 42” PV500 as an inferior alternative comparison. But comes back to the problem, the LG DID look far brighter and more detailed.

F.Y.I. This is Dixon’s in Camberley, Surrey.

I wasn't accusing you matey...but this is a classic example how they shift the stock they are targetted to sell at any given time

Thanks for the comments everyone.

So to conclude would everyone agree that the Panasonics are better or at very least as good as than the LG and Samsung models?

I would say that the Panasonic is better than the LG or the Samsung. That's based on many sets I've seen and played with in many stores. I don't own the Panny, so nobody can accuse me of Panny bias!

Better. Not a doubt in my mind.
And I've seen these other 2 sets in comparison to my Panny, I even used to own one.

hi the pannys much better than the lg, and even the sales assistants look terrible in dixons.

I ended up buying the Hitachi 42PD7200 over the panny. Between the two I would say that the Panny is slightly better for TV but only slightly, very happy with the Hitachi now it's in the home. For DVD, which is the majority of my viewing, I couldn't see many differences. Hitachi's colours a bit better, Panasonic blacks a bit better, not really very much in it either way.

I went for the Hitachi because it was a good few hundred quid cheaper and it was also available, big delays on the Panny I believe. Very happy with the display and not regretting it in any way.

Thanks bishman! Exactly the same thought as I had. I really don't think the PQ difference between the two is more than their price difference!

I like the look of the Hitachiand did consider it, but the fact that Im getting my TV with £400 off and 5 year warranty with JL is a big big plus. Given some of the reviews of the Pioneer 436XDE, it seems that the 42PV500 is the Ultimate Plasma of choice for the average guy on the street, im excluding the Panel People of this world, I know you can get a better picture but seems like a bit too much hassle for even the likes of me.

Im quite sure the Hitachi/Samsung/Pioneer are all great TV's but just my personal opinion but the Panny is still the one to beat and I for one will be glad Ive bought as far as Im concerned the best plasma on the market period (p.s. this isnt meant to offend, believe me Ive swayed a few times towards the 436 as you all know, even now theres still a little doubt which is better, but its dearer and only 1 year warranty and thats enough to sway me i think.

no i meant personal reviews which actually i take with more interest than magazines and trust them more aswell

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom