1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500....I'm cracking, please help

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mr Eddy, Jun 26, 2005.

1. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Find myself getting closer and closer to using the plastic. Please remind me why I should not buy. I even thought it was attractive on the cabinet the other day.

2. Chavvychase

Chavvychase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The bezel is just too thick. Its more expensive than the Hitachi 7200 or the new Samsung 5H. Also, this forum appears to be Panasonic oriented, so there could be a herd instinct at work here. Also, there a new plasmas from Pioneer coming out later in the year. Also, prices are dropping, so the longer you keep your plastic in your wallet, the better the plasma you are likely to end up with.

3. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    You got me on that one ;)

4. SonOfSony

SonOfSony

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Says it all if the bezel size is the only specific complaint on the unit! There will always be something better coming out - its the nature of the industry, it never stays still. Buy now, you only live once!

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    The only things that stops me from rushing down the PV500 road are the cosmetics, and the fact that there really will be something better, from Panasonic, and it's due in the Autumn. Better for my uses that is, not necessarily for yours.

6. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    I agree, I would have probably gone for the panel version, cleaner lines, bit more flexible etc.
    But the PV500 is wife friendly, got excellent connectivity and the picture is breathtaking IMO.

It is my first plasma, I am very happy with it.
    Now just got to finish decorating so I can get it back on the wall :(

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    to justiy waiting you can always claim your waiting for a 1280x720 panny, or even a 1920x1080!!! that should keep you busy for a year or two.

8. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    This is not working. So where is it in stock and going cheap?

9. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    You got me again :)

10. simg

simg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wife loves mine too and shes totally forgotten that I blew 2 grand on it. Im just keeping the reciepts for my mark grant cabling out the way ;) :rotfl: :rotfl: Just do it I was initially concerned but u definetely wont regret it! :clap:

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524

12. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol, as I mentioned elsewhere my other half hates the stand big time and it has to go. I love the picture though. As far as buying it goes, well these things were never designed to be awesome with current broadcasts, we should be honest. They dont go as black as a good crt, and they are weak with off air graphics, producing pixely edges a lot. On DVD however it is a big wow. Bear in mind that credit cards are only ok providing you can pay them off over a short period. Yeah I know we all know this, but credit card companies are nasty people to owe money to. Save up if you can, even if its just half the amount, you will sleep better at night.

13. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    How are you getting your 'current broadcasts'? Is it through the internal tuner (I haven't tried that yet)? Through SKY+ using a dedicated cable to AV1 the picture is superb - routing it through a DVD-Recorder made it worse, though.

14. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi there, in answer to your question, through the internal freeview decoder. I live in Colchester which is notorious for weak freeview, especially the 'ITV' side of it. A good ariel and a CRT gets round it, but by the time the Panny has magnified the incoming pic, it of course magnifies all the weakness of it too. I am not a big sport fan and tend to buy my movies on disc, so I cannot justify the outlay of sky every month.

15. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well. Here's a reason.

I am also seriously considering this model, however on a look around this weekend I may have changed my mind.

In Currys at White City in Manchester the PV500 was crap. To be fair all the plazmas looked bad but the PV500 looked one of the worse. When I asked why the pic was so bad the explanation was that their distribution box gave variable results. So would I pick the Panny on this evidence. No!
    Now I suspect this explanation is probably correct, but how can you tell?.

Next door in Comet there was a much reduced choice with the Pioneer, Pan PV500 and an LG and a Phillips all playing a Hitavhi test CD. And they all looked about as bad/good as each other. Especially bad was the jerky movement on slow landscape pans. Are all Plazmas this bad as this typeof thing.So would I pick the Panny on this evidence. No!

Next door again at Powerhouse they didn't have the PV500, but they did have the PE50? playing Monster's Inc via a dedicated DVD player. And it looked absolutely stunning. Best I have ever seen any Plazma.

Now I know that most of these results were due to system set up, but really how can anyone ever tell how good a Plazma will be before purchase with these for of results. Additionally with the PE50 looking so good, is there any point paying extra for the PV500 given HD won't really be mainstream for a couple of years yet

16. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    HD is going to be mainstream sooner than that if you are into video games, with the Xbox 360 in November and the PS3 following in 2006. Also, HDDVD/BLU_RAY will be available soon enough.

Fine if you're only talking about TV viewing, but there's plenty of other hi-def sources soon to be available. I know I'll be making sure that I have a hi-def screen for use with the xbox 360 come November.

17. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    You need to test them all with a decent DVD player, running through comonent, with DVD's of your choice. After being set up with DVE.

But this is near impossible to acheive.

Is the PV500 worth it over the PE50?

Depends on:

1. Your budget
    2. What connections do you want (VGA etc)
    3. Can you wait until HD settles down.

When I was looking round, I first saw a PE50 playnig a DVD in Powerhouse, they seem to have a half-decent set up - but still pprobably miles away from what it is capable of.
    You need to go in to a Panasonic shop to see a half decent set up of the PV500.

Viewing ANY plasma is a bright shop, not set up, probably still on Dynamic, using crappy leads is always going to put you of.

You need a specialsist shop for a decent demo.

Is there something better round the corner - probably.
    How long can you wait?

I took the plunge with my PV500 - extremely happy with it.

Have I got much to campare it to? - I have had a demo of the Fujistu 50" 40 series going through an expensive scaler at Av-Sales - and I still reckon the PV500 is a fantastic picture.

A lot of people reckon these forums are panny biased - there was a pio 435 next to the Fujistu running EXACTLY the same feed, from the Lumagen scaler and it looked very flat comapred to the Fujistu.

You get a lot of honest opinions from these forums - something you will get nowhere else.

18. orange66

orange66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just to muddy the waters even further, I speak from experience in saying dvd through a high quality scart is much better than cheap to medium priced component. Cables make a heck of a difference to the picture quality, buy the best there is.

19. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Just to update you, I woke up feeling good and knew that buying a pasma for 2k was silly. As the day progressed I slipped back into must have mode. Then made a fundamental error. Popped out at lunchtime to Currys and saw a PV500 set up.

Still resisted any ordering but know I must have. I have to say I must blame some of you. I needed anti PV500 statements on this thread and have ended up with reasoned comments and pro 500 buyers. Thanks go to Greeny, this is the sort of plasmas are crap talk I needed.

20. simg

simg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Get yourself to your nearest panny shop, I was working up in chester and during my break got them to give me a full demonstration,( had already ordered it from JL p-matched to TD though) dont know where you live greeny but all u need is a store which gives demos and ask them to set a plasma up anyway u like, even take along your fave dvd to play. Im not Panny biased if it was crap I would tell everyone on here and have sent it back by now by order of the wife! :rolleyes: If my wife can like it I defy anyone else to not! :D At the end of the day its upto the individual but hanging on this forum can only help and keep u informed. Good luck! :D

21. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Look man, pull yourself together and show some strength of character. I'm in the same situation myself, want a plasma and being tempted. However, there is absolutely no need to buy a hi-def screen at the moment. At least wait untill you have some hi-def sources that you can use regularly. Me, I'm waiting untill November when the Xbox 360 is coming out, then I will have a need for a hi-def source and have no more excuses for waiting. Also by that time, I dare say that there will be a better option than the PV500. A panel only version? A new Pioneer? The new Samsungs? Who knows for sure.

I know you could wait forever for the next model, but unless you have a need for hi-def now, don't do it man. Do you hear me? If you do it, you'll only be sitting there in 5 -6 months wishing you had waited as the current screens are then better and the PV500 is £1,000 cheaper.

Hope this helps.

22. rooster-x

rooster-x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    Mr. Eddy this might sober you up, last year about this time the 42THPW6 was about £2k, now you can pick them up for £1200 or thereabouts. If you can wait until January 2006 (like me) then the PV500 should be £500 - 700 cheaper. Just resist the dark side until then. :thumbsup:

Rooster-X

23. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Have you seen the pv500 running in high definition how much better a picture can you get and if they do sell for £1000 less in 6 months time ill eat my plasma :D

24. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Some ppl's only complaint is the aesthetics of the pv500 but it looks blistering good on or off when u buy the stand.In certain rooms due to the size of it i could imagine it dominates to much but with a decent size room it looks sweet.Most panels although good for wall hanging look bland and its the one think i hated about my pw7.

25. Mr Eddy

Mr Eddy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Bishman, you are my new guru even though the consumer PV500 will not drop much. It may even rise for a period.

Remarkably Panasonic are charging a top price and are selling out of the units. It seems they can't ship them fast enough. If they dropped the 'free' DMRES10 smaller retailers may have to up the price slightly, since they can't flog the player.......so do I sound convincing on the price may go up argument or is this a sad last gasp?

26. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,524
    Have you seen the prices of the PE30 still...in Dixons, special offer £2300 (no DVD)
    By the time you come to decide to buy one, you may have to wait a while anyway.

If I had a PW6/7 I may have waited a while before diving in, but reading these forums for 6 months, I thought I held on quite well!!!

27. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    You must stop now and purge yourself of these unclean thoughts! If the price rises, you can just console yourself that Panasonic had to increase prices to cover the cost of replacing all the faulty units with a funny line down the middle of them. :D