PV500 - HDMI fizzling on black?

AndyH

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,

On my out of the box, untweaked (apart from dynamic -> cinema), not run in 37" PV500 I've noticed one thing I wasn't expecting.

I've hooked up my Pioneer 868 DVD via HDMI (£50 QED cable) and solid blacks "fizzle" when I look up close to the screen. You can see it either on black bars of 2.35:1, or when the player is stopped. It looks like totally random noise made up of really dark greens and blacks.

You don't notice after stepping backwards a couple of feet, and there is not really the same fizzling on normal images.

I was just curious if this is to be expected?

Thanks!

Have you tried notching the brightness until the fizzling stops, if you can only see it close up when it is dark then the brightness is too high, use a THX disc to get it somewhere near or a DVE disc.

Cool - Video Essentials is this afternoon's job after I've got all the cabling tidy :)

In shutting it down just now, I noticed no fizzling on the "no DVB signal" screen or whatever it puts up when there is no aerial input.

I'm sure it isn't anything wrong, DVDs are looking superb with no calibration! But of course, if it is something weird with the HDMI input I just need to know about it (we're never happy.. are we?)

That is the best way to adjust brightness for blacks, turn it up to you see the pixels 'fizzling' colours then back it down a notch until it stops, then you have the blackest blacks (no signal to the pixels).
I don't know about HDMI, I have only used component for DVD.

Yep - thanks guys, I whizzed through DVE (need to read up on contrast on Plasmas.. I know when it is too bright, but I can't get blooming or bending or any such thing to help confirm).

Anyway - no more fizzling :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom