PV500 + GC/XBOX+ Component

FlyingBig

Standard Member
Reaction score
Anyone managed to get their xbox running fine using component (microsoft hi-def kit) without the faint vertical bars/lines running the down the screen? So far Scart works perfect but i have tried nearly every combo with the hi-def kit and no luck. I am going to try to connect the xbox via vga to see if that helps. In the mean time any help would be appreciated.

I did have mine through component through the hi-def kit but didn't notice anything.
I may just slide the box off and have a look.

I've noticed that there are now two different type of cables for component - both official. I used tronixs to get mine from the USA - I have not noticed any bars yet.

i used to get them on my old hitachi with component but no on the pv500.not the high def kit though just component leads i got but picture quility as extreamly good-much better then scart and s video

foz said:
i used to get them on my old hitachi with component but no on the pv500.not the high def kit though just component leads i got but picture quility as extreamly good-much better then scart and s video

I find that really strange, so if you are correct then either my xbox is faulty or my pv500 is. I have tried the hi def kit and a vga adapter and both output strange vertical lines. Gamecube through component is on the button though as i enabled progressive scan. Could it be that my xbox needs an update of bios or is faulty in someway even though it outputted via component to my Projector fine. Anyone any idea what is the variable in this situation? Is it possible that Foz's pv500 is setup slighty different to mine in terms of the timing, refresh or frequency?

I take back what I said - I can clearly see vertical bars running down the screen during GTA: San Andreas on Xbox (PAL mode). They are mainly visible on black.

Another problem with the PV500 or Xbox?

the x box i m using now definatly does not have that issue but is only about 4 months old.the x box on my hitachi was a year or so older so mabey is a bios thing.got to be an x box issue because otherwise dvds and stuff in component would do it to plus i had it on a different tv as i said,although io find it strange you dont get the same effects on the projector.only thing i can think that may be different is i have my component going through my amp for swithing purposes but is olny a denon 1905 and doesnt upconvert the image or anything-outputs exactly whats input.

foz said:
the x box i m using now definatly does not have that issue but is only about 4 months old.the x box on my hitachi was a year or so older so mabey is a bios thing.got to be an x box issue because otherwise dvds and stuff in component would do it to plus i had it on a different tv as i said,although io find it strange you dont get the same effects on the projector.only thing i can think that may be different is i have my component going through my amp for swithing purposes but is olny a denon 1905 and doesnt upconvert the image or anything-outputs exactly whats input.

I'll try my mates, he bought an xbox about 2 weeks ago. If it fixes it then it was all down to xbox all along and people had need not blame their latest HD plasmas. If it doesn't then we can safely put the blame squarely on the shoulders of the manufacturers. I am sure its not a tv thing as when i force progressive scan through my ntsc GC it is flawless. Also worth of note is the fact i get these vertical lines through my vga adapter for teh xbox si if its not the xbox then it could be a timing thing.

FlyingBig said:
I am sure its not a tv thing as when i force progressive scan through my ntsc GC it is flawless.

nice to hear that
so maybe It's a PAL thing
a PAL or especially a modified PAL console can often give problems, not only with a plasma
that's why I only own ntsc stuff

why don't you try an ntsc xbox with your Panny?

BigGanja said:
nice to hear that
so maybe It's a PAL thing
a modified PAL console can often give problems, not only with a plasma
that's why I only own ntsc stuff

why don't you try an ntsc xbox with your Panny?

Wish i could get my hands on one without actually buying one just too test it. It doesn't explain why some people are finding the probllem disappears with a later PAL xbox. Throws in a curve ball, i hate curve balls :mad:

FlyingBig said:
Wish i could get my hands on one without actually buying one just too test it. It doesn't explain why some people are finding the probllem disappears with a later PAL xbox. Throws in a curve ball, i hate curve balls :mad:

that's possible. since last PCB revision (v1.6b) fixed some issues that old boards had

do me a favour:
watch the back of your xbox and tell me MFG date and serial number please

edit:
btw, is your box modded? and with what chip?

BigGanja said:
that's possible. since last PCB revision (v1.6b) fixed some issues that old boards had

do me a favour:
watch the back of your xbox and tell me MFG date and serial number please

edit:
btw, is your box modded? and with what chip?

2003-11-07 / 1105617 34505

It is modded with xecuter 2.6 or 2.3 (not sure which) with the X2 v 4981 BIOS (apparently as the guy that modded it retrieved that from the top of his scone.

you have a v1.4 produced in China

this is generally one of the best versions IF usa/jap
It has been reported that PAL consoles "sometimes" resulted in a defective DO point (one of the point to solder to the Xecuter)

xecuter is the best modchip and the mod It's extremely easy to perform (I did it by myself) as you can see here:

http://www.teamxecuter.com/x3/tutorials/x3pin1015.htm

only thing you could do is to open it and double check if everything ok (voltages, sodering point and such)

that's everything I can tell you now atm, sorry
if this can help, this is the best site where to ask for xbox stuff

http://www.xbox-scene.com

Ok so the vertical line thing is down to my old xbox, my mates xbox worked a charm and his MFG date is 14-4-2005. I used the same cables and i even checked the MS dashboard and no lines were present so it isn't chip related. Looks like i have to order myself a new xbox. Problem solved :thumbsup:

exelent-i knew it wernt the panny-there too good for that sort of crap

Their is the possibility the problem might be related to the type of TV enconder on the Xbox. Their are 3 types - Conexant, Focus and XCalibur.

Mine has a focus chip, X2 modchip and the latest X2 Live 5035 BIOS.

I'm going to do some further testing later.

I have the new official MS hi def kit the one with the phono plugs on the end, not the one with a box that you plug your own leads into, running on a v1.2 xbox using a xecuter 3 and latest bios, I did have issues with an early bios not supporting HD properly, my X3 is set to NTSC, on a UK supplied xbox, maybe you should try the video switching file, I am sure there is a prog out there to switch video modes.

This is really annoying now. I shall see what it's like when I get my amp, but so far this is really disappointing - I am not going to buy a new Xbox to fix the issue.

I have the 5101 BIOS (MS) and the X2 Latest.

Typical M$ buggy crap! :mad:

I've now got my amp, and the vertical lines are still present. I've gone back to RGB now for the Xbox.

As I now have my PC and amp connected properly, the days are numbered for the xbox to be used a media centre anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom