1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 Fault/Problem Thread

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by greyhorse, Jun 21, 2005.

1. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    First of all if you aint got a PV500 then dont post here..............................

Spoken with Panasonic engineer regarding the contrast change, although I cant see it on my screen now, no matter what I watch.

Panny have also emailed me.....

I would also stress that there is not an inherent defect with this model
    and there is therefore no reason why the problem that you are experiencing
    cannot be remedied by a qualified engineer.

I would recommend that you refer back to your retailer, who will be able to
    organise an inspection. Otherwise I can arange for a Panasonic field engineer to inspect your screen within the next 4 working business days.

Only problem is cant see the contrast change anymore, I have put the set into cinema mode, contrast and brightness set 25% and put colour managment ON. Hey presto its not doing it.
    Also when I tun the set on I get several flashes from the red LED maybee 4-5 is this normal ???

2. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have not noticed contrast changes, except directly after changing channels. Settings are 50% brightness and contrast. For DVD (through RGB scart), colour management and noise reduction are off. For TV, both are on. I always use normal mode, as I found out that cinema mode introduces more noise and solarisation.

The only fault I could find so far is that the set does not automatically jumps to widescreen mode when teletext subtitles are on. I have to manually select zoom1 mode. Oh, and my set has two dead blue subpixels, but these can only been seen from less than 3 feet away when a blue screen is on.

- Jerry

-edit-
    @greyhorse: I have the 37"

3. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    do you have 42" or 37"

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +204

The flashing LED is normal and nothing to worry about. It is the same for the mark one Viera (pe30s) and the newer pv500s :)

5. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Interesting Greyhorse, when i phoned Panasonic they wouldn't send someone out to inspect my screen but then thats why its not a good idea to talk to a woman on the other end of the phone even if they do work for Panasonic. I also have not received a reply to my email :mad:

6. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    There were times when the underlying gamma levels were set too high.

I went through the menus set to NORMAL and took both contrast and brightness down to zero. The picture all off a sudden took a step down rather than smooth graduations of intensity.

Then I re-adjusted contrast back up to about 35%, Brightness at about 25% with colour at about 30%. Looks just about right to my eyes on this set.

Colour Normal, and management OFF, PNR OFF, MPEG OFF.

The AUTO gamma function has not noticably kicked in since.

I suggest taking both contrast and brightness down to zero and then set them where you want. It seems like it settles the Auto function.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Enough with the sexist comments, I'm sure there are plenty of women who read and contribute to this forum who don't appreciate your attitude. :nono:

8. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have already done most of what you have carried out, my set will not display the contrast change, I dont know if this is the set "get some hours on it" It really has gone ???

So I dont konw if its worth having it replace by John Lewis or getting Panny to pay a visit. If I cant see it they wont !!!!

Mal hows your set.

9. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    I think the way you switch it off is by getting out of the AUTO mode.

However, I found even after switching to NORMAL, the underlying Gamma was far too high. In actual fact I think it remained at the last level the AUTO feature had set it at.

This may explain why people still feel it is doing something as the memory must retain the last setting ?

Switch it to NORMAL take all brightness and contrast settings down to zero and the set will normalise so to speak. Then increase to desired levels. It's been pretty static since then.

Whilst it's not gospel for all sets due to component tolerances my settings on Contrast are about 32% Brightness 22% Colour 28%. I shall recalibrate with DVE tomorrow but to my eyes this looks as good as it's going to get. All digi-pokery switched to off.

10. MokerJoker

MokerJoker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Well, I have to take back my earlier remarks: I've noticed the 'black bars contrast changes' too when I was watching Blade (on a 37" PV500). This was right after I switched to component cables, so I switched back to SCART. Makes not difference though. It happens when there is a change in the brightness on screen, e.g. when the camera pans from a bright window to a dark area. In the case of Blade, the brightness was lowered and then increased before lowering again. That is why I noticed it; I wasn't particularly looking for it.

- Jerry

11. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    In it's box :(

12. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting approach.

Did you see the effect prior to this procedure? And if yes, did it occur again?

I´ll try this on my 37PV500. Do you think it makes a difference if you choose "Cinema" instead of Normal? I like Cinema better...

13. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    Even the 'Universal' test?

14. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

200 hrs+ run on the screen, no sign of contrast change even on the uni logo.

15. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    I have seen four different PV500's up and running during the past week and i couldn't see any contrast change or a feint horizontal line across the centre of the screen on any of them. The conclusion i have come to is that screens that have those types of problems are faulty and not the norm. Geoff.

16. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well at least with the changing contrast, I think you´re conclusion comes a little bit too early. It IS there on all sets, it´s a known feature. So this leaves you with two options:

a) You don´t notice it at all. (and never will) - you´re lucky!
    b) You didn´t notice it (yet).

I also didn´t see it the first couple of times. But now I can clearly see it...

Without a doubt, this is NOT a fault, it´s a documented feature. Only question is if you can turn it off. (for those of us who feel irritated by this function)

17. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That's not a logical deduction: it may be more noticeable on some sets rather than others (rather like this blooming line thing). This would explain Greyhorse's (and my) experience.

The issue is if the auto contrast process affects your viewing. I have seen it just once in 50 hours of viewing, and even that may have been the studio camera. I'm not blind. I am looking for it. I don't see it. So it's not an issue for me - and I'd suggest that it's your set that has the issue, and not my eyes.

18. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry but that doesn´t work either. I`ve followed your instructions but I saw the same effect as before.

BTW, "Colour Management" seems to be unrelated to the automatic contrast thingy... in fact, I think it´s a very nice feature. Comparing a still picture with CM on and off, you´ll see that it makes the colours look more vibrant.

Back to topic: I guess the last chance to get this resolved is via the service menu.

19. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Yes kOrn, it only settled it for me but did not completely erradicate it. It is most noticable when you change channels, you can see the set try to adjust the contrast and then settle down.

Nothing at first glance in the service menu that looks like it will address this matter. I agree this is not a fault but a feature.... which may be unwanted by some.

20. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, as we´ve learned, a return of the set does NOT help. So I´m very confident that it´s a feature, like in the Panny PDF mentioned which greyhorse found.

As with people who insist that their set doesn´t have this "feature": my brother didn´t notice the contrast changes either. So it seems like some people just don´t see it. (which is good for them) ;)

I guess I´ll phone my dealer and try to get someboy at Panasonic who actually knows how the PV500 works. The standard "return your set"-procedure would not help, as we´ve seen with some ppl who returned theirs and the feature is still there with the new set.

Anyone knows anyone who works at Panasonic? Or any good contact to get real in-depth information about the PV500?

21. Ekko Star

Ekko Star

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +396
    Yes it's a feature as I'm on my 2nd set and it also has it. It's documented as one as well. Good for those that don't see it but it's there and others do and will see it.

Panny won't know or put you through to anyone who will, it's far too new. If it's under 28 days old send it back is what they will say :cool:

22. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah. My strategy here is to convince my dealer that an exchange won´t help. Maybe they have some contacts that can do a little research if this feature can be turned off. (and how)

23. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    I have got it set up on the conservatory floor, I want to get some hours on it, it is currenty at 120.
    I am going to check for the horizontal line, if someone can tell me the best way to do this.

24. Freddo14

Freddo14
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was just thinking about the auto-contrast problem (my pv500 set arrives on monday) in the manual a sensor is mentioned which is meant to automaticly adjust contrast in response to lighting levels in the room.

could it be that when something bright comes onto the screen, the sensor thinks the room is lighter, and so adjusts the contrast? since the room IS lighter thanks to the screen lighting it up?

if so could this problem be remedied by masking the sensor with say, black electrical tape so it always thinks its totally dark?

just speculating but it seems logical to me.

25. k0rn

k0rn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please read the other threads regarding this. It´s not the sensor, this does only apply to "Auto"-mode. We´re talking here about "Normal" or "CInema".. not Auto.

That would be a little bit too obvious, don´t ya think? :rotfl:

26. shand754

shand754

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    I have had a Panny 37" PV500 for about a month now, very pleased with it but I have a connection problem I could use some advice on.

I currently have a DVD recorder (with Q link) hooked up to the plasma by S-Video and a Skybox hooked up by RGB scart.

My problem is I cannot get the DVD recorder to pick up the Freeview on the plasma so I cannot record from it.

I am guessing my problem is that I need to use scart from the DVD recorder to one of the AV sockets that supports Q link on the plasma.

Can anyone confirm this and has anyone successfully recorded from the plasma freeview onto a video, DVD recorder?

Thanks in advance for any help.

27. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,584
    I have found ANOTHER possible problem with my PV500.

Every time I look really close at it, I can see what can only be described as

'a reflection of myself'

Anyone else got this, I tried it with one at Currys, Dixons and Comet and they were all the same.

Anyone else seen this :confused: I will try to get a pic.

28. Rapid 17

Rapid 17

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    LMAO. :D

29. xenole

xenole
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    That will be your evil twin from a parallel universe/dimension trapped behind the glass. Saw this in an episode of Charmed.