1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 Extended warranty ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Dunwa, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Dunwa

Dunwa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    I've been looking round at various offers for the PV500. Some companies offer paid for or extended warranties. So quick question for anyone who's bought a PV500.

Do Panasonic offer a paid for extended warranty ?

2. svijay

svijay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not really answering your question, but the whole issue of warranties is debatable. I've ordered my PV500 from JL to benefit from their free 5 yr warranty, but I would never normally pay for add-on warranties. You can often get better, cheaper policies from independent companies. In addition, you have good protection legally. When you a buy an item, it should last a "reasonable" length of time (Trade Descriptions Act). Even if Panasonic offers a 1yr warranty on a plasma screen, actually you could hold them responsible for problems beyond this period (apart from obviously accidental damage etc.). It may require much frustrating communication and you may end up in the Small Claims Court, but I cannot see how anyone could disagree
    that a plasma costing over £2000 with an advertised lifespan of 60,000 hours should last at least 5 years...hence I would feel there was a strong argument not to get a warranty, if you could handle the hassle aspect if something went wrong.

3. lasitha

lasitha

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think Panasonic quoted me about £480 for a 4-year (5 years in total) extended warranty. AV-Sales offer a 4-year extended warranty for £390. You don't need to buy the TV from them.