1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 connections

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Figment, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Have posted the question below in the cables and connections forum with no response. Hoping someone here can be of help.

Hi guys hope some of the more technically minded of you can help with my connection dilemma.
    I have a Topfield PVR 5800 which has 2 scarts one for tv and one for vcr. The tv scart can output component or RGB or standard video via menu selection. The vcr scart outputs RGB or standard video only.
    My other equipment at the moment prior to adding a receiver / amp are Panasonic DMR-ES10 DVD recorder player and my new baby the Panasonic TH37-PV500B plasma. I would like to know the best way to connect it all up to give best picture quality along with functionality. I currently have it all up and running but am sure the way I have connected it is far from ideal this being as follows, Topfield TV scart outputting component signal direct to the PV500 via a scart to 3RCA component lead plus L&R audio. A second scart from the Topfield vcr scart via a fully wired scart lead to AV1 on the PV500. This seemed a good idea at the time to enable me to still view the Topfield menus when changing connection options as you loose the picture via component as soon as you switch away from that selection in the menu. I then have the DMR-ES10 connected to AV2s on the PV500 via a L&R audio and s-video RCA to scart lead.
    This all works but gives me no connectivity between the Topfield and DVD and also no use of the Q-link functions having no scart in use from the DVD.
    I have thought about removing all connections from the Topfield to the plasma and trying the following…
    Bearing in mind the Topfield only outputs component from tv out scart (AV1).
    Connecting scart to scart Topfield AV1 to DMR-ES10 AV2 ( vcr / sat etc in ) then DMR-ES10 AVI (tv out) to PV500 AV2 plus a component to component lead set ( have ordered one via this site) from from the DMR-ES10 to the PV500 to give the option of using the supposedly superior component connection, obviously with L&R audio alongside. My questions are :- will this proposed set-up
    1. work at all ?
    2. still work for the Topfield when the DMR-ES10 is switched off via pass-through ?.
    3. (and I am assuming the answer to be yes) loose the component element of the Topfield because the AV2 Input of the DMR-ES10 wont accept or recognise it ? thereby forcing me to use RGB out from the Topfield.
    4. I currently have no coaxial aerial connection to the DMR-ES10 due to the fact the Topfield already requires 2 inputs for the twin tuners and I don’t want to dilute the signal any further with more splitters or for that matter record an analogue signal on the DVD so, will using the fully wired scart from the Topfield to DVD provide a tuneable or recordable signal to it ?.
    5. (not strictly related to the above but would like to know anyway) is progressive scan available only when viewing via component or will it work via RGB also ?.
    The reason I don’t want to just go ahead and try this option is for the fact that someone will probably know a better way and also cable switching is a pain in the rear end, having mounted the plasma with all cables fed via a stud wall cavity makes them difficult to access and requires two people to lift it off the wall. Photo of installation can be seen in my forum post at

http://www.avforums.com/forums/show...279#post1936279

I hope the above makes sense to anyone taking the trouble to read it and would really appreciate any input.
    Mick.

2. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Very disappointed there has been no help on this subject with the weekend looming I was hoping to be able to tackle the job and improve my set-up. Is it something so obvious that the people who really know find it beneath themselves to help ?. Dont mean to sound churlish but I thought thats what the forum is here for.

3. stroppygoblin

stroppygoblin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I think I can help with some of this...

The ES10 WILL require an ariel connection in order to get a tuneable signal, scart connection will provide nothing to the inbuilt tuner. Looping the ariel throught the ES10 will incur almost zero signal drop, provided you have a decent signal to start with (mine loops through DVD then Video then Sky+ before it hits the TV and the Digital tv picture is top notch :thumbsup:

Check this thread for more details as to how I have my connections

4. Jazz Monkey Jr

Jazz Monkey Jr

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,523
    I think that most people saw your post and didn't read it because it was very long IMO, and the link doesn't work.

5. Figment

Figment

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +39
    Many thanks for the info stroppy, I read the link and from what I understand my suggested set up will be ok. I will also try the loop through the DVD recorder as suggested, I never realised the signal drop would be so small.
    Mal point taken about the length of my post. I just like to ensure all info is available for people to be able to make informed opinions. It is a failing of mine to get carried away when writing. As the missus says, do you really need to write a whole A4 page to tell the milkman no milk today? !!.