pv500 blows 435xde out of the water

• Thread starter Deleted member 63580
  • Start date
gonzo said:
Hi Dino
Thats how iam going to connect sky through the dvd recorder then component,Have you tried the sky box in scart rgb on the tv for comparison.
Cheers Gonzo.
Ps whats your opinion of the recorders playback with regular dvds.

Yes its connected to tv with rgb and after a bit of playing looks like the rgb direct into the plasma gives a better picture, going to the dvdr with scart and back to the tv via comp seems to give a bit of graining.

Dino

Costas said:
the statement Panasonic produces better blacks is quite a myth!

Well i dont think thats quite the general oppinion round these parts :) but i have no comment on it

I rather wonder about better blacks myself. From what I read a typical DVD player has 10bit DACs on the RGB outputs, which is only 1000:1 contrast ratio at best. I wonder what DACs are used in a Sky digibox? Or in a freeview box?

Bearded_Malc said:
I rather wonder about better blacks myself. From what I read a typical DVD player has 10bit DACs on the RGB outputs, which is only 1000:1 contrast ratio at best. I wonder what DACs are used in a Sky digibox? Or in a freeview box?
Bearded_Malc
I have mentioned this before in other relevant threads but it is important to highlight that Sky broadcasted picture and satellite receiver are not the very best.

I am satellite enthusiast and I currently employ 3 digital satellite receivers on a motorised dish system. The three models I have from Echostar, Humax and Topfield deliver all (with small variation) better pictures that any Sky receiver including Skyplus. Simple as that. You can easily check that if you just check the BBC free channels.

On top of that and as mentioned above, many Sky channels broadcast at limited bandwith and resolution. Even for the few channels that look reasonably good on Sky you can find better broadcasts from many countries across Europe.

Sky is definitely NOT the limit. Unfortunately faced little competition, no state standards control and very little quality demands from its customers.

Finally, a few terrestrial digital receivers also offer better picture than Sky.

des_pd_ tdi said:
I can only agree after seeing the XDE and buying a Panasonic 500, delivery was supposed to be today but I changed my mind took the whole day off Thursday so I can have a good play with it.
Des

Well?

can someone who has a pv500 comment on the processing time? I've heard some plasma's aernt really suitable for gaming since they "lag" the image, I'm hoping to use a pv500 for my xbox and other consoles, whats the latency like?

When you start using Sky and Freeview services to compare PQ, you have to remember a few things. The MPEG coding on channels can be statistical multiplexed, so at any one time depending on what other services and content are being carried picture quality can go up and down by the second. You should have both panels lit simultaneously on the same source and split field vision to determine if one is really doing better than the other. If one manufacturer uses better tricks then poor MPEG might seem better on some pics compared to others

It's interesting to read that many may have comitted themselves to an HD panel, before services are available and may now be making their comparisons of new panels on existing low bit rate Sky services. If you just want Sky SD on a plasma, look no further than a cheaper lower res panel, as it's likely to look better. If you really want to compare 2 HD panels from different manufacturers then look for the review that does this first on the same HD source test material, streamed as digital video off disc and not a stat muxed transmission. When that's done, the receivers and MPEG decoder will play their part and this is where some tricks may be offered in setup menus to ameliorate artefacts - but usually they bring unwanted secondary effects.

I wouldn't be happy if the shoot out favoured manufacturer 'A' on tests using low bit rate SD services, then when HD services started, manufacturer 'B' won in a direct comparison because everybody was now saying the pictures were sharper!

Quote by dino2021 "pv500 blows 435xde out of the water "

Did it look something like this
attachment.php

Attachments

• blown out.JPG
    blown out.JPG
    39.8 KB · Views: 196
Enquiror, we have a position for someone in our graphics department at the moment, I take it from your artwork above you are a dab hand with 3DS Max? based on the art above we would offer you £120k P.A basic with the opportunity to double it. ;)

I've gone for the pv500. For anyone looking to make the same decision I got mine at buyyourav.com £2269 delivered with pedastal. Had I gone for the pio got to say they would have had that order too at £2544 dleivered.
Got to give credit to buyyourav great communication, good advice and panel delivered on day promised!!!

:rotfl: I just tried (and gave up)doing a picture of a plasma on a fire (for a other post using paint) and it was even worse!! :rotfl:

The point was "blows it out the water" is a completely surreal comment when you think about it when you're comparing plasma screens!

some of you clearly have far too much time on your hands... ;)

A whisker crude, HD but gets the point across... :eek:

id just like to say that after seeing both the pioneer and the panny up and running that its a really really close call, i cant wait to get our display panny out. but may i add that ive sold 1 yesterday 1 today so heres looking forward 2 the hat trick shame i dont get commision :eek: by the way the new pioneer released in nov will have twin hdmi ;) , goin now bye

Went over to Andrews TV in Colchester today to see 37 inch Panny 500. The Pioneer 435 was also being fed by the same HD feed.

Have to say I found it hard to tell the difference in PQ - both superb. The Pioneer looks more stylish IMO and I thought the Panny looked bulky against it (even the 37") because of the thick surround and speakers. Another plus for the Pioneer is the media box which means only one connection, important in my case because I want wall mounting.

Asked for a demo of Freeview on the Panny. Obviously not so impressive and it did seem very "digital" with very noticeable artifacts. Did not see Pioneer on Freeview I'm afraid.

Prices at Andrews seemed strange
37" £1999 basic, with pedestal £2299!!
42" £2199 basic, with pedestal £2499!!

£300 for a pedestal stand is OUTRAGEOUS!!

Anyway they had the Pioneer mounted on a double articulated wall bracket. Andrews charge £200 for this. Much better value than Pannys pedestal stand. Does anybody know who makes such a wall mount?

Other info: Pioneer are soon to introduce two free flights to America (American Airways) with every plasma sold. You only have to pay for the airport tax. I am leaning towards the Pioneer and may wait and see the spec of the new version with 2 HDMIs later in the year.

By the time I actually need 2 x HDMI inputs, I'll just buy an HDMI hub!

In the mean time, I'll enjoy the Panny (when I actually get the damn thing delivered!)

Seriously people how can anyone say that the panny pv500 poos on the pioneer xde. I saw the pioneer today showing hi-def and it was stunning.

Saw both screens showing standard dvd and the pioneer was miles better and the picture on freeview was excellent.

Also the pioneer is a classy looking plasma it poos in the panny in the looks dept. The panny looks too chunky around the edges with the thick black border.

I'm going to save the extra cash and go for the pioneer because now I've seen both with my own eyes, the pioneer is easily the best plasma around.

With regards to looks i prefer the pio over the pe50 but much prefer the pv500 over the pio.I think the slightly larger bulk gives it the "buisness look" if u know what i mean on the pedestral stand.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom