1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 aspect settings + Sky & DVB

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by ben_gb, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ben_gb

ben_gb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've just got a new Panasonic 42PV500. So far it's looking good.

However, Ive noticed an oddity with the aspect modes. The "Panasonic Auto" option doesn't seem to be available when I flick through the Aspect settings. I get all the others (Wide, 16:9, Zoom1/2/3 etc), but no Auto.

Does anyone else see the same problem?

It's missing from the AV1 (Sky) SCART input, and when DVB is selected. I can get the option to appear on AV1 by turning off the 'SCART control' option on the Sky box, however this turns off RGB mode, so the picture looks much poorer if I do this.

Is this the right way for this to work?

Regards,
    Ben

2. iangilroy

iangilroy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When it says 'Wide', that's the auto mode. It says 'Wide' when you're watching a widescreen channel and something else ('Panasonic Auto' IIRC) when it's doing a stretch and zoom to deal with non-16:9 channels. To prove it's working you could:

1. Switch into auto mode (press 'aspect' and use the red/green buttons to select auto mode - it's the one to the left of '16:9').

2. Put your Sky box back to RGB, SCART control and 16:9 mode.

3. Switch channels between something in widescreen (Sky Movies 1, BBC1 most of the time etc) and then to something not in widescreen (UK Gold, music channels, that kind of thing).

4. You should see the TV adjusting the aspect ratio.

3. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    iangilroy

I'm about to buy the 42PV500 and just been reading the manual about about 'aspect control' and have a few questions, maybe you can help.

I'm happy in the way my current WS TV (Tosh RP CRT) auto detects WS via SCART and Component cables and shows 4:3 in 4:3 mode if no Ws flag is present. I've never been keen on these 'smart/just' modes which stretch a 4:3 signal to fill the screen.

So basically I would prefer it if the Pan would behave the same as my Tosh in this respect...i.e 4:3 STAYS in 4:3 if it's a non WS signal and NO intervention from me to constantly change AR

I've noticed on a relalive's Pan WS CRT that it ALWAYS reverts back to 'Pan Auto' mode everytime (stretched 4:3) you switch it on, no matter how many times to you put it into manual 4:3. (although he unplugs it at the mains every night). Is the Pan 42PV500 the same?

Also, something else I read in the manual is bothering me..

It says "If black stripes are detected above and below the image then it will adjust accordingly" (page 35)

Yet further dow the page it contradicts this by saying 'black bars may appear if material is wider than 16:9' :confused:

Does that mean all 2.35:1 material will strectch to fit the screen? :eek: :eek:

I've a feeling that I'm going to have to be constantly changing the AR with the Pan. :(