1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 and the Cabling nightmare!

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by sven_sol, Jun 15, 2005.

1. sven_sol

sven_sol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

I've just bought the 37" Panasonic PV500 and it came with a free DMRES10 DVD Recorder too so it was time to rewire my entire system (with moving house and needing a new tv, I needed the excuse!)

Before it was easy, Composite out from my Denon AV1803 into the back of the TV, that way life was simple, everything went in, one came out.. TV didnt care and I had instant switching. CD, DVD, Sky, XBox... everything.

Now I have the component on the DMR into the Amp, and then component into the PV500. As well as my old way of switching... unfortuntaly the TV doesnt see a difference and I'm having to switch the tv channels over manually each time I want to watch decent quality DVD. The Amp doesnt seem to want to be able to spit out composite into the component output.

I've now got to decide, do I start going along the lines of using all the inputs on the screen, look at how I'm connecting everything together (switch to s-vid?), buy a new Amp that can mix component/composite into on HDMI output...?:confused:

Anyone got any suggestions as to what I can go for? What I could do?

How has everyone have theirs set up?

Thanks and Cheers,

Sven.

2. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    sven sol

I bet the Panasonic brochure says its simple :)

You have to learn not to mix your video and connectivity terminology - changing TV channels is not the same as changing Inputs on the TV!!!

01. AV Hub - your AV Receiver can switch Composite, S-Video and YUV 'Component' sources; though they are kept as three distinct video paths.

02. TV Inputs - your TV has Inputs for Composite, S-Video, YUV and HDMI signals.

03. Automation - your TV has no way of automatically knowing you want to switch between Composite, S-Video, YUV and HDMI.

04. AV Hub 'Up-Conversion' - you could introduce a device that inputs a range of Video signals and outputs a single signal via HDMI. Set the TV to HDMI and then you only ever have to select a new source on the new AV Hub.

The NEW Hub could either be a 'flagship' AV Receiver with limited video conversion capabilities or an fully programmable Video processor used in tandem with your existing AV Receiver.

05. The low cost solution - invest in a programmable remote and teach it the functions you require so that when you select a source (DVD, Digibox, VCR etc) the Source, AV Receiver and your TV all set themselves to the relevant Input/settings.

Best regards

Joe

3. sven_sol

sven_sol
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Joe!

Sorry about mixing them up, but you got the just of what I said... :thumbsup:

01. yup - all seperate, but I've only really just found this out! Damn Denon!!

02. yup!

03. The old JVC that I used to use could sense that a signal had been detected on there and switched itself to that input (thats another thing, PV500 isn't automatically turning back onto AV on power up - yes, I've change the setting on that too :confused:)

04. Flagship... mmmm.... don't think the missus would appreciate that, got to convince her some how!! What do you recon to the Pioneer AX5Ai? That do the job? Would like one with HDMI though... :D

05. Already got that.. Marantz RC5200.. partly set it up so that its like that. Switches sources and then changes the screen of the remote. Never needed any more than that.

Cheers,

Sven

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,571
    Hello Sven

Its pretty easy to mix up all these video terms - we all do it :)

Its early doors as far as AV Receivers with HDMI Input/Output and only the top end kit (2K+) has appeared with everything on your potential wish list.

The Pioneer VSX-AX5i is a nice AV Receiver - though expect to see new AX models in August or September; possibly with HDMI switching on. Not sure about video conversion from Analogue to Digital mind - it may be Composite and S-Video to YUV and HDMI being Digital In/Digital Out.

We got the 05 catalogue the other day from Pioneer but the new AX kit is not shown - there's another catalogue on the way with the top end kit; and no doubt some further 'The Works' type madness :)

Maybe a revisit to your Marantz set-up software will sort out your switching problems.

Best regards

Joe