1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PV500 and sky

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by jbriddon, Jun 15, 2005.

1. jbriddon

jbriddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have read about many people on this forum saying how good there pv500 is when watching sky , but what i want to know is there any imperfections in the picture as i have had a pv500 for 2 weeks and although i think the picture is very good i wouldn't say it was perfect. I mainly notice problems when people are smiling and see "noise" where there teeth are or the outline of people can seem slightly blocky when moving quickly. I'm just not sure if i'm expecting too much from the sky feed or if its something i should be concearned with.
    Also the picture is much sharper if i connect the sky box directly to the plasma than if i connect the sky to the dvd recorder then to the plasma? when i asked @ the shop where i bought it he said i needed to alter the rf setting in the sky box service menu as it must be giving the dvd recorder feedback ? Does this sound correct?
    I would appreciate any advise
    Thanks justin

2. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Plasma is not a perfect technology I am afraid. Even the mightiest sets have minor artefacting issues - but the best minimise them so its an enjoyable watch. Perfection you dont get at 5k so how can we get perfection at 2.5k???

3. FlyingBig

FlyingBig
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Make sure mpeg noise reduction is turned off and any other sort of processing as i prefer as clean and natural an image as possible. Can't say i have noticed your issues instead i have noticed that scenes that have a dark background can brighten up all of a sudden then darken again and it seems to correspond with what is happening in the foreground so if something bright comes in the foreground the dark background will brighten up. Very stange but then no TV is perfect but the pv500 has come closest so far.

4. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +223

Turn all the digital noise reduction options off. Make sure that sky is set to RGB and 16:9 wide mode in the digi boxes user menu. also make sure you are not using a cheap and nasty scart lead to connect to your nice new expensive plasma. A 99p scart lead from the local market will not do the picture any justice :eek:

5. cmt

cmt
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +221
    Remember that you are looking at an MPEG stream, and will have artifacts and some monor colour banding - due to the compression that sky enforce.

Some of the 'minority' channels are terrible (motors tv), while the main channels (movies / sky one etc) get the lions hare of the bandwidth available.

cmt

6. thornton

thornton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I am baffled by some of the replies. I found SKY digital (connected by RGB scart with a quality cable) a bit noisy with no noise reduction and rather better with it set to medium, on a 37PV500.

I also found it rather depended on the time of day and the programme. Seems to me more bandwidth gets allocated at some times?

7. greyhorse

greyhorse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have the PV500 and use sky. Set up as follows.

Sky to E95 dvd/hdd recorder

e95 ----- to av2 Pv500
    e95 ----- component to PV500

I can watch sky through both connections and Im getting a very clean and crisp picture, considering the quality of the sky pictures that are sent. i really notice that british stuff has a much nicer quality than cheap usa shows.

I purchased some new JVC leads and have to say the give a great picture for £30.

Having said that the freeview picture is great, one friend thought it was dvd !!!!

Have fun and enjoy :thumbsup:

8. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi
    Is it me or what because i notice picture imperfections(noise etc) even on crt why do people think its the tvs fault when all the time its the crap band width which you cant do much about.
    Cheers Gonzo.

9. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I totally agree with gonzo, why are people getting confused with the blockiness and noise especially with motion that people assume is the TV's fault when in most cases its not, I think my pv500 does a very good job considering the source quality (freeview via RGB from DVR)! don't forget that plasmas are amplifying the MPEG artifacts by the shear fact they are much bigger than a 28(26 actual) or 32(30 actual) inch CRT, have you ever watched sky or freeview on an exact equavilent size CRT :rolleyes: more than likely not.... i rest my case

10. jbriddon

jbriddon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not questioning the quality of the pv500 , i am just not sure what to expect from it - previously for the last 10 years i have had a 28" crt that wasn't even widescreen , so to change to a 42 widescrren has been a big change. If everyone says the noise i'm seeing is down to the poor sky broadcast then fine i will accept it for what it is , i just wanted to know if its the same for everyone.
    I must admit that it does vary considerably depending what chanel is on and @ what time of the day it is.

11. jinkyjim

jinkyjim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    yeah, i have a 32in Toshiba CRT and i can see blockiness and noise on it,
    i think its worse watching football on sky, so on a big 42in plasma your
    going to notice it more.

12. dilsher

dilsher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Like I said, if you want as near to plasma perfection as you can get - which to your eyes may well be prefection as artefacting is so mimimal - you will need to spend in the 5k category.

Full stop. Period.

13. mlilliman

mlilliman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I noticed the exact same thing when I had the Colour Management setting on. Switching it off seemed to give more consistent colour levels. Anyone know if I'm losing black level detail by doing this?

Also, what's the difference between "P-NR" and the "MPEG NR" settings?!! They're not explained in the documentation in any great detail at all, as far as I can tell.

Thanks!

14. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    If the source is poor quality with low banwidth and full of artefacts, then the best plasma in the world won't give you a perfect picture. In fact the better the screen, the more it might show up the artefacts. Broadcast digital TV, be it terrestial, satelite or cable is compressed and this will lose picture quality. The rate of compression varies from channel to channel and time of day, but everything is compressed. There is no way you'll get a perfect picture with what is currently transmitted.

15. tutu

tutu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Sky picture quality varies greatly. I cancelled Sky quite some time ago as I was fed up of the poor quality pictures on Sky Sports. Football would be better on a 14" it would seem!

Hopefully Sky HD will fair better.

16. TeresaTT

TeresaTT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I'll bet that Sky HD won't be completely free from artefacts either. It's still going to have to be compressed.

17. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    From the manual of the TH37/42PA30:
    I know you said that their documentation was poor ;) but I believe the M-PEG option is specifically designed to improve overly compressed digital video feeds whereas the P-NR (called D.PNR in my quote) option is meant to clean up analogue broadcasts which might have some minor "snow" effects due to poor signal reception.

S.

18. leeboy22001

leeboy22001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    P-NR is picture noise reduction and MPEG-NR is MPEG noise reduction, i would imagine the mechanism used in detecting noise is different between the two as the two types of noise are different. I personally don't use either as it only softens the picture and in most cases makes the picture look worse :eek:

19. Sulis

Sulis
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well, my 37PV500 has just arrived. Plugged it in to SKY+ using crappy old scarts, not even sure if SKY is set to RGB. Just set the PV500 to Cinema mode and knocked the contrast and brightness down a notch. Result: stonking SKY picture - really, the best I've ever seen on a plasma. Beats the carp out of the Sharp 45" LCD I saw last weekend, and out of the Pios too. Just tried a few channels - the kids are watching CeeBeebies now, and it looks great. Really not sure what difference the DVE DVD will make, but will still do that, and get it ISPd as well.

But I can assure you that at the moment there's absolutely nowt wrong with the SKY picture.

20. Skillzz

Skillzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just joined the forums, to see what people think of the PV500 (my brother is about to buy one). Looks Good, anyway I have been using a Fujitsu 4242 for years now with Sky and have found the picture quality to be very good.

I was wondering if anyone here uses an RGB converter for their PV500(from RGB SCART to PC RGB) as i have personally found this to give me the best image on my 4242 (far better and stable than any CRT too), or is it just not needed for the PV500?