PV500 and General Plasma FAQ - please read before posting

One thing I don't understand with this set is that the res is 1024 x 768. I thought you had to have it as 1280x720 for proper HD? Or am I missing something? I'm stupid here, so humour me :D

The minimum native resolution of the display or display engine is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.

It doesn't mention vertical res.

mal600908 said:
The minimum native resolution of the display or display engine is 720 physical lines in wide aspect ratio.

It doesn't mention vertical res.

so 1x720 is considered HD then? :)

More seriously, 1024 is less than 25% increase in vertical resolution compared to a standard plasma.
Hardly seems worth the effort or expense.

loz said:

More seriously, 1024 is less than 25% increase in vertical resolution compared to a standard plasma.
Hardly seems worth the effort or expense.

I'd suggest you go and see the screen in action rather than look at the technical specs. You'll very quickly see that there is a hugh difference in the PV500 favour.

loz said:

It as to be in widescreen format...
If you want true HD get the 1090x1080 LCD panel, or wait a few years for the next best thing.

The PE50 may be considered NOT HD ready altough it displays 720 lines, with overscan you may only see around 680 of them on screen.. :eek:

sjameson said:
I'd suggest you go and see the screen in action rather than look at the technical specs. You'll very quickly see that there is a hugh difference in the PV500 favour.

I have.
I don't deny there is a difference.
But the difference in resolution isn't as clear (to me) as viewing a display with a proper 1280x720 or above display such as a DLP or LCD.
I could see more artefacting and blurring as the P500 downsampled the HD source.

Where it did look nice was when upscaling a SD DVD.

loz said:
I could see more artefacting and blurring as the P500 downsampled the HD source.

what source was it and what connection was it going through?

Is this only a problem with the 50", I haven't heard about this on the 42" and 37" models.

Sorry but I am a complete novice when it comes to flat screens.
I have done a few searches but I can't find the answer to this question,
do I connect my pv500 to my dmres10 just with a fully wired scart and/or
component for the best picture play back ?
Have asked this question in 4~5 shops and have been told to use scarts in most places , but the forums seem to suggest component....so have become very confused...
I also would like to be able to record of the DVB, how can I do this ? :lease:

To record of DVB you have to use a fully wired SCART in to one of the QLINK AV SCARTS (AV2 I think).

Some people have a dedicated player through component as this gives the best pic, and a seperatwe DVD recorder through SCART for recording.

You can of course wire up both. I use component for viewing and SCART for recording. :smashin:

So component from es10 to plasma as well as fully wired scart from es10 to av2 on plasma. Then if I have sky+ a fully wired scart from RGB out sky + to AV1 plasma and presumably if I want to record sky to the recorder a scart from the VCR out of the sky box to the 2nd ES10 scart socket?

Altho I think I am right in saying VCR out on sky does not output RGB so if I wanted to record in RGB I will have to use a JS scart thingy to double up the RGB Scart 1 out of the Sky box right???

CK

ColdKilla said:
So component from es10 to plasma as well as fully wired scart from es10 to av2 on plasma. Then if I have sky+ a fully wired scart from RGB out sky + to AV1 plasma and presumably if I want to record sky to the recorder a scart from the VCR out of the sky box to the 2nd ES10 scart socket?

Altho I think I am right in saying VCR out on sky does not output RGB so if I wanted to record in RGB I will have to use a JS scart thingy to double up the RGB Scart 1 out of the Sky box right???

CK

Alternatively you could utilise the plasma as the 'control centre' Wire the video directly to the plasma on AV4 then if you want to record sky to video or tv to video or even dvd to video (macrovision prob won't let you) then you just set AV4 to be the out put and the required source to be the input (you can do this through the Plasma menu options. If you want to use the dvd recorder as the output then set it to AV2 and the required input to be tv/sky/video, etc

Hope this makes sense!

Check the end of this link it should make things a little clearer :thumbsup:

:hiya: 37PV500 on Currys at ultra low prices:-

on its own £1,619.61
pedestal £1,732.67
pedestal & ES10 £1,795.75
full stand £1,996.93

My 37PV500, pedestal and ES10 is arriving from JL this Friday and that was £1,979 after a price match - their normal RRP being £2,195 plus £149 (£2,344) for the pedestal - that's a £549 difference in favour of Currys!!

Have Curry's made a boo boo?!

:thumbsup:

(Posted in a few relevant sections)

Branko, who did you get JL to price match against? I'm trying to get JL Newcastle to price match, and I'm not having much luck...

jd

It was HiFi Confidential in Buckingham Palace Rd London. Currys and Empire Direct have much better prices now though. Kit arrived today - looks A1 - just hope I have wired it all up right!!

jdncl said:
Branko, who did you get JL to price match against? I'm trying to get JL Newcastle to price match, and I'm not having much luck...

jd

le concepts in Metro centre are pretty competative they have a website to check out their prices

OldSkoO1 said:
Awesome sticky thread! Thank you mal600908!!

No probs. :thumbsup:

John Lewis Newcastle called up the wife earlier and said they would price match after all. They didn't say who against, but the upshot is that we got £450 back on the price of a 37pv500, pedestal stand (and free dvd recorder thingy).

back of the net. shame she won't let me spend the rest of the money :)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom