PV500 and General Plasma FAQ - please read before posting

Steve_P

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Good effort Mal :thumbsup:

Just one point though, the last item re Samsung seems to be missing a link? :confused:

Let's hope it's stickied, might cut down on the glut of PV500 threads.

S.

Steve_P said:
Good effort Mal :thumbsup:

Just one point though, the last item re Samsung seems to be missing a link? :confused:

S.

Sorted

mal600908 said:
Are there any more plasmas to consider?
There is the Panasonic panels coming out Spet time, and the new Pioneer plasma's are coming out then aswell.
what about the current pioneer plasmas and the current pd7200

chedmaster said:
Are there any more plasmas to consider?
There is the Panasonic panels coming out Spet time, and the new Pioneer plasma's are coming out then aswell.

what about the current pioneer plasmas and the current pd7200

as the chedmaster dons his flamesuit :rotfl:

Hey Mal,
bet you wish you posted this earlier!!!! :D
very good info for people who are interested in the pv500 :thumbsup:

willardone said:
Hey Mal,
bet you wish you posted this earlier!!!! :D
very good info for people who are interested in the pv500 :thumbsup:

I have been meaning to do it but not had the time...

What about the amount of hours your screen has done?

Is there a setting that tells you that, or do you have to time it manually (i.e. keep a mental note)?

mickyd67 said:
What about the amount of hours your screen has done?

Is there a setting that tells you that, or do you have to time it manually (i.e. keep a mental note)?

mal600908 said:
How do I check my hours/ get in to the service menu?
see HERE

Sigh :(

My Dvd /HD JVC recorder is connected by component and when it starts playin in widescreen , if the screen is set in say 4:3 it switches to wide. Is this what you are saying is not supported or is it something else?

Hi
I have just read in "What Home Cinema" that the native resoltion of the PV500 is 4:3.
Is that true? I assume it shows true widescreen by hook or by crook?
Thanks for any answers

the pixels are not square, so they are in a ratio of 4:3, but stretched out to make a 16:9 display panel

well it would be ideal to have the full 1280 horizontal but at the moment its not really worth it for the amount of money it adds to production costs. very few 42" screens have/will have the full 1280pixels for a while, so yes it is as good as any other screen in that respect.

Please help with the proper way to configure the connection of my DVD player to the TH-42PV500. I have configured my DVD composite output mode to "Progressive" (the default being "Interlaced"). I have used a composite cable to connect the output of the DVD player to the composite input of the PV500. However, the picture of the movie is displayed full screen, i.e. there are not the traditional black stripes on top and bottom of the screen. The input mode of the TV is set to AUTO. Is this regular or I am doing something wrong?

I suspect you mean component (3 cables) not composite, but you don't get auto aspect switching via component so you will need to set the screens aspect ratio to 16:9 (not auto) for widescreen movies.

Great effort.

If this forum has one more stupid PV500 question that has been mentioned a million times!! No one seems to enforce the search function anymore.

Again fantastic effort.

Mal, could you add to the faq the fact that Panasonic in their wisdom have removed any geometry, screen size/position settings from the service menu's on the PV500.It's staggering that they have removed these settings, potential buyers should know that if they are unhappy with screen size when using certain equipment they can't do anything about it.I would have personally not bought my 42PV500 if I had known that H-amp/V-amp had been removed from the service menu.

Korum said:
Mal, could you add to the faq the fact that Panasonic in their wisdom have removed any geometry, screen size/position settings from the service menu's on the PV500.It's staggering that they have removed these settings, potential buyers should know that if they are unhappy with screen size when using certain equipment they can't do anything about it.I would have personally not bought my 42PV500 if I had known that H-amp/V-amp had been removed from the service menu.
So are you saying there is absolutely no way to adjust the size/position? :mad:

Korum said:

Have you had this confirmed by Panasonic?

There's been a rumour of a 'manufacturers menu' that adjusts geometry but even the panny technician mentioned in the thread wasn't authorised to access the menu.

All I want to do if overscan the image, It seems only a selected few have access for some bizarre reason, hopefully it'll all be revealed by someone further into the PV500's life.

Korum said:
There's been a rumour of a 'manufacturers menu' that adjusts geometry but even the panny technician mentioned in the thread wasn't authorised to access the menu.

All I want to do if overscan the image, It seems only a selected few have access for some bizarre reason, hopefully it'll all be revealed by someone further into the PV500's life.

I had Gordon round tonight to have a play with my PV500 and he couldn't adjust the overscan, which it does do quite a bit on this plasma.
I am sure something will come up how to get into another menu...we will just have to wait.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom