1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pv 500 and new Component Cables

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by DWF, May 28, 2005.

1. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got some Component Cables and plugged them into my DVD-Divx player to my panasonic pv 500 and nothing but a few green lines, might I be doing something wrong, I don’t have any other component DVD players or anything to test it out on, any ideas lads?

2. Thatsnotmynaim

Thatsnotmynaim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Are you sure it is component and not composite + audio? IE are the sockets coloured Red Green and Blue or White, Red and Yellow etc both ends?

3. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    both ends are Red Green Blue component with gold tips (deffo)

4. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    sorry about that, seems i have got it working, there was a setting on the DVD player setup menu the options were ( VIDEO OUTput - RGB, YUV or OFF and it works on YUV? another thing i did see it also gives me the option for P-Scan or Interlace? what are these and which one should i click?

thanks for the Advice

5. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    When you press the i (information) button on your TV remote does the TV display AV4C in the top left corner?

Also have you gone into the setup menu of your DiVX DVD player and set it for component output?

You may have made all the connections physically but for most DVD players (well my one anyways) you have to set what signal to output and for my PE30 Viera you have keep pressing the blue button to toggle through composite, S-Video and component input on AV4.

*EDIT* I see you have worked it out :smashin: YUV is just another name for component. P-Scan refers to progressive scan output and Interlaced is well interlaced output, try both settings out and your eyes will tell which setting is best. Your PV500 is a progressive display device so will automatically deinterlace any incoming signals. If the relevant circuits in your DVD are better than your plasma then you should see a better picture with P-Scan, if the TV performs better than the DVD then the interlace setting will give you better results.

S.

6. DWF

DWF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Screen just gets better! thanks for the Advice by the way Steve, just watched about Five mins of Enemy at the gates (you know the part where they turn back and get shot by their own army) I love this TV! Did not think component would make much difference, boy was I wrong.

7. Steve_P

Steve_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +142
    Component made a major improvement to my PS2 gaming and I was previously using a fully wired RGB SCART cable, miles better.

My DVD Recorder has always been connected via component and it's always looked stunning :D

I wouldn't have my PS2 and DVD connected any other way after having used Component. Okay maybe DVI/HDMI but I don't have that option :p

P.S. What looked better? Progressive or Interlaced? My guess is interlaced.

S.