Puzzled - which DVD rec/HD Sony or Pioneer

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by m0bov, Aug 24, 2005.

1. m0bov

m0bov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, my first post here so go easy!!

Replacing my old Sony VCR, want to replace it with a DVD/HD recorder for under £300.

MUST work with my Sony STB(V8000U), it must work with the Smartlink so the unit starts recording when I set recordings in the Sony's EPG. My current VCR does not support Smartlink so I have to set the VCR as well as picking out programs from the EPG which is a pain.

I have a MiniDV cam so I want to dump footage to HD, edit and then cut to DVD.

I have a Sony mini system that has TOSlink so I want to use Optics.

The unit is in my bedroom so it must be quite! Oh and I have a Philips DVD player so I will use that for watching films etc..

Do I go for the Sony RDR HX510 or the Pioneer 433H-S???? It will be attached to a 15" LCD via Scart (tv has a single Scart socket)

Please help!!!

James

2. m0bov

m0bov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear, just looked at a review for the Sony and theres no DV in :suicide: . Looks like its either the Pano or Pioneer!!! :cool:

3. m0bov

m0bov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seems that only the Pioneer and Toshiba RDXS34 offer Firewire, so any suggestions as to which one? I believe that the Pioneer does not support the forthcoming 6x DVD R discs so should I go with the Tosh? Still need to know if it will come on when my STB does!!! Don't want to have to set both!!!

4. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Be careful about this. virtually all recorders will start automatically from Freeview set top boxes. But...
    1. This only works from the recorder-out (VCR) on the STB
    2. For s-video output from the STB the recoder must be compatible with the version of Smartlink on the Sony STB. Not all recorders are (even some Sonys) even though they are basically smartlink compatible. Otherwise the STB defaults to composite and you can't do anything about it.
    3. If the STB is in use the auto start cannot be activated on the recorder because the STB VCR out is 'live' and triggers the recorder all the time. So the recoder can only be set to auto start when the STB is in standby.
    4. You have to use the VCR-out on the STB because the TV-out isn't activated when the STB turns on from standby under timer control. (I could be wrong on this with the Sony STB, but I don't think so).

I thought as you did about auto start and gave up after about 2 weeks - too much hassle.
    Using 2 timers isn't so bad - use the EPG on the STB and Videoplus on the recorder.
    Or get a Pioneer DVD/HDD with GuidePlus. Then its IR thing will change channels on the STB and you set the recorder timer from GuidePlus.
    Pioneer 530 with GuidePlus would be my choice (433 doesn't have it).
    As your TV has a single scart you can connect the STB TV-out to the recorder (that rules out auto start straight away) and the recorder to the TV. If you are recording analogue you can watch digital with the Pioneer Scart-thru function. This also lets you use RGB everywhere assuming your TV accepts it.

5. m0bov

m0bov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thanks for the info, just a couple of queries.

I don't use S video from the STB, only RGB but its connected to an old VCR anyway. Why should I connect the STB's TV out Scart to the DVR? Would that still give me RGB over scart? Does it mean I watch "via" the DVR all the time? I need MinDV on the DVR so that rules out the Sony, so its either a Pioneer or Tosh.

STB is a Sony VTX- D8000U, below are the specs
    Audio Out (analogue) YES (3.5mm Jack)
    RF IN YES
    RF OUT YES (Loop through)
    SCART (TV) YES (RGB, Y/C, PAL)
    SCART (Video) YES (Composit, Y/C)

I do have an RGB switch box which I use to switch to a DVD player for RGB since I can't watch it via the VCR or it will be Mono!

I am worried about the Pioneer that compataibility with faster DVD disks like 8x, any comments? However the site does state its Smartlink ready!

6. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    So you can get RGB to the DVR and the TV. If you are using an old VCR you won't be using RGB because the VCR won't accept it. If you have RGB selected on the STB, you get a composite signal along the scart simultaneously (a feature of the scart design). The VCR will be using that.
    You will get RGB from the TV-out of the STB
    Yes (but the DVR can be in standby). This enables you to get the STB output through the DVR to watch TV and from the DVR to watch recordings as your TV has only one scart
    The Pioneer manual contains a table (p 111) about DVD types and speeds
    But does the smartlink version match the rather specific need of the Sony STB? I don't know. Anyway, it's irrelevant if you use the TV-out and the Pioneer G-link for recording. Check that the Sony STB is GuidePlus compatible on http://www.europe.guideplus.com/

You may like to download the 530 manual and have a look through that. Go to http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/content/support/support/manuals.html
    click European Manual Database, then 530 in the search window and find the English version.
    You may also find the Tosh manual online.

7. m0bov

m0bov
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks very much for the info, I understand now! I may try connecting the DVR to AV2 of the DVR and see what happens, will I notice that much of a differance between RGB and S video??? Of course the Smartlink may not work proper anyway!

Thanks again :clap:

8. eddyad

eddyad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I'm sure you didn't mean that :)