Puzzled over memory cards

D

Dr Diversity

I am looking at the next camera and am getting confused over memory cards.

One camera lists SD / MMC as the right card but, looking on ebuyer these are different cards

Another camera, Sony, list Memory Stick but, again on ebuyer, they have memory stick duo cards. Are they the same.

Any comments welcomed so that I can choose my camera :)

SD and MMC cards are the same size, the SD has 2 extra pins used for card security but the memory works the same as MMC if you are not using the security feature.

SD is very cheap, worth buying a camera for the feature IMHO

Sony use their own memory format so they can keep the price high and make loads of profit, I wouldn't buy a Sony camera because of that.

I agree with pjclark with regard to Sony cards.

I wouldnt bother with MMC. They are compatible with SD, but do not go to the high sizes of SD, nor the higher speeds.

pjclark1 said:
SD and MMC cards are the same size, the SD has 2 extra pins used for card security but the memory works the same as MMC if you are not using the security feature.

SD is very cheap, worth buying a camera for the feature IMHO

Sony use their own memory format so they can keep the price high and make loads of profit, I wouldn't buy a Sony camera because of that.

there are plenty of cheap propriatary sony memory sticks available.

ots fuji/olympus XD which is expensive due to lack of propriatary cards available.

personally im a CompactFlash man, its cheap as chips and still very rapid, its also the most widely available card format and as such you're more likely to find a computer with a card reader, especially if you are on holiday and need to use an internet cafe

As for a recommendation, in the past i've bought digital storage cards such as compact flash, memory sticks, Fuji XD cards from Memory King - www.memoryking.com . I think these guys are reasonable with prices especially with branded products plus all items they sell have free delivery :thumbsup:

Memory Mad said:
As for a recommendation, in the past i've bought digital storage cards such as compact flash, memory sticks, Fuji XD cards from Memory King - www.memoryking.com . I think these guys are reasonable with prices especially with branded products plus all items they sell have free delivery :thumbsup:

You wouldn't have any connection to them would you?

BTW: Check the specified read/write times of the camera before you go buying the biggest and fastest card.
i.e. The camera my not support the speed of the card, although it would still work.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom