1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Puzzled by AE300's "picture mode"

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by KraGorn, Oct 22, 2003.

1. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I'm bemused. :)

The 300 has several "picture modes" like "normal", "dynamic", "cinema" etc. Now, clearly I can cycle through them and SEE the difference they make to the picutre .. my puzzlement is WHY?

Why would one WANT to look at an image vastly different from that the director/whoever intended?

Why did Panasonic bother with this feature? :confused:

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    Fair point,

The problem is that you end up switching between them whilst watching a film, wondering which is subjectively better.

However, before my AE300 went tits up I actually applied these PQ settings and left it on this for all viewings -

Picture = Normal
    Contrast = +6
    Brightness = -2
    Color = -6
    Tint = +4
    Sharpness = 0
    Color Temp = -2
    Gamma White = +1
    Gamma Black = +2
    Lamp: Low

A guy called Xander posted these over at the US AVS forum and he is an Aussie consumer who has had his PAL based PJ calibrated, with the above settings giving the best image in his opinion, to which I concur.

Hope this helps,

Cap:)

3. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Precisely. :rotfl:

Thanks for those settings .. I used Avia to set Contrast and Brightness but haven't tried fiddling with the colour settings etc., to be honest I found Avia somewhat daunting when it came to setting these up. I'll punch them in and see what effect they have.

Sorry to hear 'bout your 300's demise ... did you replace with something better?

4. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    the PJ is currently back with the evil schemers at Pansonic UK, who really dont seem to have a clue about good customer service.

Yet to replace it as awaiting the 'technicians' verdict.

As for AVIA, I understand that this is pertinant to NTSC calibration, not PAL, so unless everything you view is NTSC then you could be wasting your time - hence my adoption of Xanders settings.

Of course this is all relative to his set up, room, ambient light and so on, but I actually think the settings are fine in my environ given the PAL status.

5. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    :( .. I was under the impression Panny were okay to deal with, hope I never have to.

6. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +321
    I have spoken to them several times since the PJ exploded last week.

Firstly, they refused to collect it on friday stating that informing them of the malfunction on Thursday afternoon was to late. Note that City Link, Panasonics courier of choice operate a next day system!:mad:

Secondly, they refused to collect it on the Saturday morning. Could not give me a reason. I suspect that this is based on a budget as I understand that the standard City link collection rate goes up by at least 0.5 to 2 times the weekday price. Confirmed by Nexnix in the past. I mean, forget the fact that the PJ cost us a cool £2k.

So, they arranged to collect it on Monday 20/10/2003 but failed to action it and in the end it went yesterday afternoon (Tues)and was delivered to them this morning.

Called Panasonic after work today after having a nightmare day. Train was late for meeting in Exeter, train station was freezing, got back to Bristol late afternoon and walked home in the sopping rain to find out that it was still in the box in the technicians lab and yet to be looked at.

Simon, my contact at panasonic tol me he would personally expedite my problem, but in effect did not and its still unseen. I get the impression that they are not really bothered at all and simply just going through the motions.

The sad thing is that they probably consider me a 'difficult customer' as I am pressing them with my consumer rights.

They should do my job for a day,

Anyway, rant over,

7. calibos

calibos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Captain

Reminds me of the good old days with my Ae100. Remember my debacle thread? :D :D