Puzzled and confused

ferdyg

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a problem... and this is the only place that can help!!!

my system is as follows:-

Panny PW4 plasma, Tosh 220 DVD player, Telewest Digital Cable box, Marantz SR5200 amp plus speakers
Tosh connected to plasma via syncblaster scart lead to Component in,
Cable connected vis syncblaster scart to pc in..

When trying to play some DVD on Xmas day plasma screen flashed with picture for a second or less then blank screen with "NO SIGNAL"...

A number of DVD's gave this error, however when I connect via Svideo lead and changed the signal on the DVD player to svideo all the DVD's that would not play, played.

No matter what I tried to do they simply would not play via the scart lead.

Anyone any ideas why this may be happening?

All suggestions welcome.

even though you have a scart to component cable you must set your dvd on rgb out and the plasma on rgb in as it is only a rgb signal you are using.

Thanks for the feedback so far...

I have to change the settings on my DVD player to send the signal out via Svideo.

All are region 2 discs which include Minority Report.

It only happens on some discs, the rest play fine via scart with the setting on the DVD sending an RBG signal..

Do I have a faulty player?

Hi,

I am wondering why you are using a syncblaster cable to connect your Toshiba to your Panny plasma. Your Toshiba has a component video output - doesn't your Panny have component inputs? Just a thought...

Steve:(

Yes it does, but the syncblaster lead is a scart to 5 bnc lead which connects to the panny.

I think its a problem with the DVD player as it is only some DVDs which act in this way.

I cannot understand why these should be ok when set out as svideo but give a no signal response when being sent out as RGB.

and yes, I have changed my DVD from RGB to Svideo and back again..

May have to leave the svideo connected unless someone has any ideas

Hi,

Have actually used the component output on your Tosh? It might be worth a try. Just use any old phono leads for your test, but I think you'll need some phono-BNC converters to connect to the Panny's inputs.

Steve

Just an idea... but if the picture flicks on and then you get the 'no signal' message could you have a faulty cable?

I don't think so as its only on some DVD's

I have about 80 dvds and this only happens on about 4, but they are all new one from xmas!!!

I have had one or two people have this problem before and duly spoke to Keene about it. What I was told was that the SyncBlaster cable seems to have problems with some forms of Macrovision (apparently there is more than one type commonly used) that had gone unnoticed until early this year. Funnily enough, some DVD players were more susceptible than others!

The modification to fix this is a simple resistor to block the double horizontal frequency (which is what totally throws the SyncBlaster). From now on all SyncBlasters are OK on this but some of the early ones did suffer. What was happening in your case was that the discs that didn't work were ones using the macrovision the converter couldn't deal with.

However, the SyncBlaster is giving you RGBHV from the scart socket on the DVD to the plasma RGBHV sockets. But you will find no noticable change in PQ if you run a component lead to the RGB part of the RGBHV socket (YCbCr) from the DVD's component out hence not requiring the cable anyway. You could even run the DVD through the VGA syncblaster *and* the component connection at the same time and decide for yourself which one you think is best...

Thanks for the help every one.

Went out and bought some component leads and have done away with the syncblaster.

Have not had any problems with any dvd's and I can say that picture quality is also fine.

My cable box is connected via a syncblaster and that is fine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom