Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords for XBLA?

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by Tufty McTavish, May 2, 2007.

1. Tufty McTavish

Tufty McTavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    1Up.com are reporting that this Bejeweled RPG game on the DS/PSP is heading to XBLA "later this year." Cool!

Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords, already released on the PSP and Nintendo DS, is now making its way to Xbox Live Arcade "later this year"

"What ties all of D3PA's titles together are not genre or size of game or developer, but an unsurpassable element of fun," said Yoji Takenaka, executive VP and CEO. "We look forward to capitalizing on Xbox Live Arcade's wide reach and ease of use to bring gamers unique titles that fit the bill of delivering the highest enjoyment factors."

Linkage.

Edit:

Actually, this is all over the news sites it seems. There's a good write-up over at Eurogamer. Here's a snip. The full article has links to the demo and review they mention.

"Puzzle Quest, which we reviewed recently, is already out on DS and PSP, and while both are perfectly serviceable (nay, perfectly wonderful), the game deserves a home console audience too.

"But what is it?" you ask, being an Xbox 360 owner who doesn't go in for these stupid childish handhelds. "Does it have guns in it?" No it doesn't, but it does combine the tile-matching fun of Bejeweled with the statistical genius of a well-thought-out RPG.

As lots of you will already know, there's a PC demo to try out, although there's still no sign of an actual PC version for release. One thing we might be able to infer here is that the Xbox Live Arcade game will include online multiplayer - the PC demo mentions it, but neither of the DS and PSP versions offer it.
    "

2. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Have you tried it? I've played both the PC demo (available here) and the DS version for some time now. I really enjoy it but its not for those obsessed with fast moving puzzle games as you get time to plan out your moves, personally I enjoy the change in pace. I also like the fact that you can level your character and upgrade his/her stats via enchanted items. What I don't like is the limited number of avatar options for your character nor do I like the fact that the AI seems to be aware of what items are going to come down the screen so it can hit for you with some major combos.

It'll be interesting to see how much its priced on the 360 as its currently available on the DS for £20 RRP (£15 at amazon), I'd guess 1200 points?

3. Tufty McTavish

Tufty McTavish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +179
    Yes. I have the DS version. I've put many hours into Bejeweled2 on the 360, and I'm probably more likely to play it on 360 than DS. Hopefully I won't be tired of it by the time 'later this year' rolls around.

4. Pinju

Pinju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I've seen news of this (and Mad Tracks) on http://www.xboxic.com/news/2835 today, as it happens.

Puzzle Quest looks the business, as the poster above said, for a change of pace. There definitely does seem to be more than meets the eye with this title. I've not heard of it before, but it looks very interesting from the screenshots I've seen on the above site. :clap:

5. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Same here. I'm in two minds about the key selling point of this to me - the Xbox Live Multi player - its what's missing for me on the DS, but I can see some people taking it far too seriously and spending hundreds of hours levelling up the characters just to win. :rolleyes:

6. nero0410

nero0410
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,006
    any ideas of a date for Puzzel Quest yet?

tris

7. Kahled

Kahled

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    Wow!

First time heard about this and had not seen the thread before... EXCELLENT!

I love this game on the DS and have been incredibly hooked on it, a brilliant twist on the bejewled theme.

8. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    This is almost sure to be next weeks game. Had the DS game for almost a year I think but haven't even played it apart from the first 10 minutes:rolleyes:

Wasn't what I expected at the time so I put it to one side, might give it a bit of a chance now though to see if the XBLA version will be worth looking at.

Apparently it's on a high price bracket BTW, 1200 points.

9. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    I hope its not that expensive as it'll put people off. I'll almost certainly get this - haven't had time to play it on my DS much recently.

10. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Apparently it is 1200 points. That's probably because it started out as being a full price retail version.

11. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    I'm surprised no one has posted in this thread today. The game is up on market place now for those who want to download it and try it out or buy the full game.

12. Codehead

Codehead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,158
    I've downloaded it, but only had time for a quick blast of Yaris and GHII over lunch.

13. Shivers

Shivers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Excellent game, I've played it before on PSP but its a very fun puzzle game with an RPG story , spells and items etc added in for good measure. Not sure how similar it is to other puzzle games like Puzzle Fighter but the combination of spells and connecting skulls or whatever seems pretty good to me. The game is 1200 points though but imo it is worth it as it looks more like a full retail release than another xbl arcade puzzle game.

14. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    In a(somewhat selfish) way I'm kind of hoping this game won't sell well.

Although it sounds like it's worth the 1200 points asking price, if it doesn't sell it might make other developers more likely to stick with the now very consistent 800 points price for the high end games. On the other hand I suspect if it does sell well we might see quite a few of our more anticipated titles arriving with the 1200 points price.

800 points is the sweet spot for me where XBLA games are concerned and it would take something very special to make me consider paying more for a non-packaged game(especially with so many retail bargains/special offers about these days).

Don't think this is a game for me anyway, yet to try the demo but I dusted off the DS game this week and finally got around to giving it some play, not really my cup of tea.

15. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I've downloaded and played the demo and was about to buy some more points to unlock it until I saw that it was 1200 points! Lordy, that's expensive. 800 points would be ideal!

I wonder if they'll release any add-ons for it and what they'll be priced at?

Cheers
    Moosh

16. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    Probably far more worth 1200 points then Bankshot Billiards. ;) :D

17. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    When you put it like that... :rotfl:

Cheers
    Moosh

18. Moogle

Moogle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,398
    It's a pretty addictive game. I've only got the demo at the moment but I was playing it last night for about four hours. I'm probably going to get the game but I'll get the DS version as I think it's more fun playing a game like that on a portable.

19. zmoosa1

zmoosa1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    :blush:
    I quite like bankshot :blush:

20. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    My Wife and i where playing PQ untill the wee small hours, brilliant, love the DS version but this is better, looks ace.

21. Pinju

Pinju

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +105
    I played this for an hour or so last night after buying the full version. The missus was snoring away, so it's a good one to play with the sound down.

Not sure about spellcasting yet, but it looks like it's got some mileage in it. Impressed so far though! :D

22. Mr Quint

Mr Quint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,704
    LOL, i have been playing the DS version now for well over 6 months. :thumbsup:

23. danvitale

danvitale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +114
    Im loving this game. It's pulled me away from Tiger Woods 07 and thats quite something (I usually complete golf games from start to finish without the disc leaving the drive).

The best thing about this game (apart from the RPG aspects) is that the puzzle games are short and sweet.. and its not totally game over should you die.

24. Moosh

Moosh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +469
    I caved in and bought it. :eek:

It's a cracking game that's had me hooked all day! :smashin:

Cheers
    Moosh

25. FatBoysOnTour

FatBoysOnTour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    Agreed. And it works surprisingly well too. Nice idea adding battle and rpg elements to bejewelled. I think it's going to take ages to complete all the battles, I'm up to level 14 at the moment, and barely started. Quite expensive, but for the amount I've played it so far, worth it IMO :thumbsup:

26. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,819
    So how is the online multiplayer? Would be curious to hear your opinions?

27. amrypooins

amrypooins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    There is really not enough love for this game. I only downloaded it on the recommendation of people on another forum, and I am so glad I did. I am so addicted to it I havent touched Halo3 in a week!

28. willowroolz

willowroolz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Pretty much my thinking, too, although I downloaded the trial version and still thoroughly enjoyed it :thumbsup:

I had the PSP version but traded it in because of the bug that means you don't get the benefit of part members' skills. I've been intending to get the DS version since then but haven't got around to it yet :rolleyes:

29. RidleyDeckard

RidleyDeckard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +757
    I thought there was a problem with that on my PSP version, but I thought maybe I was supposed to activate something to turn their effects on. Pretty major bug if you ask me, thank god for Xbox Live and the ability to update games.

30. FatBoysOnTour

FatBoysOnTour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    I've only had a couple of multiplayer games, but they are exactly the same as the single player ones, minus the quest story bits.

What I have noticed is that you are grouped into a level band (like 0-10, 10-15, 15-20 and so on), so if you are level 11, and you get someone who is a level 15, you're at a disadvantage from the beginning. Certainly makes you think more about the strategy of denying your opponent jewels rather than just trying to get some for yourself, but it's a bit unfair sometimes.

Good game though, would recommend.