Putting Windows 7 .ISO onto DVD

sedalbis

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hey,
Sorry if this is the wrong place, but it is kind of relevant.
On Thursday I am downloading Windows 7 Professional 64-bit (£30 student offer from Microsoft) and want to burn the .ISO file onto a DVD so that I can boot from it.

However, I notice that there are two types of blank DVDs available, -R and +R.
Please could someone explain the difference, and advise me on which one would be best to use for burning the .ISO file.

Also, on my DVD recorder, the logo says "RW DVD+R DL" Does this mean that I can only use +R anyway? It doesn't meantion -R. However, there is another logo which says "DVD Multi Recorder" so I am a bit confused.

If somone could clear this up for me I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance :)

You can burn to any of those discs/formats, although the Dual Layer will be wasting space as it will fit on an ordinary single layer disc. You just need a +R or -R, it doesnt matter they both work.:)

+R or -R won't make any real difference to the disk you burn. Since you seem unsure about -R support I would go for +R.

Apparently +R is better for data and -R is better for video. So it kind of sounds like +R might be the better option, but tbh, I'm sure either will be absolutely fine, and a multi recorder should take care of all formats.
Correct me if I'm wrong. :)

Thanks for all the quick replies people :)

From your posts I have concluded that my drive is capable of burning both -R and +R DVDs, but only +R Dual Layer DVDs, and for the .ISO file I should use +R although it won't make any real difference if I were to use -R. Does this sound about right?

Cheers

Out of interest, what brand and model is your dvd recorder?

hmm i was told the only difference is that one of the discs you have to copy all data at the same time to disc (-r)whereas the other one will allow you to keep adding data at different times but you wont be able to erase or copy over what already exists on the disc.

From the top of my head DVD-R and DVD+R will work either way and they differ from the way they index on the disk.
I think -R is continuous with limited or no indexing, while +R has indexing so essentially faster seek times when jumping round the disk.
+R is meant to be more reliable but with a quality dye its an unfounded assumption, as theory and reality are never the same
It makes no difference to the end user.

+1 for imgburn for burning the ISO.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom