Putting TV outdoors

Mezzabella

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Firstly forgive my ignorance if this is ridiculous but I have a spare basic TV set with built in freeview which I would like to put in the garden now and again for the upcoming World Cup. I have been searching forums to see if there is any way of using this TV set without an aerial (stop laughing)!
Would a video sender receiver kit work for this?

I am not completely useless I have managed to to connect my iPad to the outdoor TV set and watch YouTube but cannot get sky (obviously) or a decent channel on freeview. Is there a way of watching either of these without an aerial directly plugged into the TV.
As you can see I am totally clueless.

Thanks in advance for your time please don't be too harsh
Dumb blonde

To use a video sender you would need a audio and video source. Your normal TV scart socket will most likely work OK. However why don't you simply use a coax extension lead to extend the aerial to the garden TV ?.

Thank you Graham,
I didn't really want to have to go down that route, I am thinking if i have friends round it could be a trip hazard especially after a few beers!
What do you mean "my normal scart socket will work ok?" Is there something I can connect to the scart on the outdoor TV please?

Thank you Graham,
I didn't really want to have to go down that route, I am thinking if i have friends round it could be a trip hazard especially after a few beers!
What do you mean "my normal scart socket will work ok?" Is there something I can connect to the scart on the outdoor TV please?

How are you powering this outdoor TV? I'm assuming it's a mains supply. Is this not a trip hazard as well?

To use a video sender you need a source. This could be another TV which you connect the video sender to via its scart socket. This other TV needs to be on of course. A better source would be your sky box's scart socket however as you won't need your other TV on.

Thank you Winston,
I have outdoor power supply and yes I will try the scart route

Thanks

Depending on where you live a small outdoor log periodic aerial on a pole adjacent to the outdoor TV might work well... a heavy parasol base might provide adequate support.

TV Aerials for Boats and Caravans gives some ideas and guidance.

This does depend on location and view from your garden to the transmitter of course. It would likely be cheaper and potentially better quality than a video sender.

Mind you, I'm just glad I don't live near you. I'd find it most annoying - especially as the games go on very late I believe. ;)

Thanks Rodders that link looks like a definite possibility.
I have ordered a video sender kit for now. If that doesn't work I will try the log.

PS I won't be watching all the games outside and all this does depend
on our great british weather anyway. So I am not going to hold my breath.
It would simply be a nice option to have without any hassle. I did use an indoor aerial last year and got one of my friends to hold and stand in the perfect position for a good picture. I don't think they will be as accommodating this year though.

My brother-in-law also had a football barbecue in the summer and had their second TV (flatscreen, around 30") in the gazebo. At the time their only reception was via Sky dish, so an extension coax linked the bedroom LNB feed through an upstairs window to the vent at the top of the gazebo and down to a basic Sky receiver next to the TV.
I think the distance might be a little far for a videosender, we'll see.

A videosender should be good for up to 30m through a window. Of course it will be affected by any human body in the signal path.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom