Putting This Lot Together

gerbilly

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am going to be buying a new 24 inch I Mac while giving my current Intel 17 inch I Mac to my daughter. I will be buying a new Mac Mini for my son for his bedroom.
I have a 20 mg broadband connection with virgin which will be set up on the 24 inch i mac. However I must admit I dont have a clue how to set up the other two wirelessly to connect to the internet. Can someone give me an ideal on how to do this and what I would need to buy.

doing this is really easy.

What you'll need, if not already part of what you have now for your broadband, is a router - in your case a wireless router.
Hope I'm not doing this too simple for you, sorry if I am :eek:)

Instead of plugging the cable from your broadband modem into the computer, it now goes into the wireless router. Instead of entering your user datails - username and password - on the computer, you enter these on the router. Routers have software installed on them that allows you to enter user details, Protect your wireless network and lots of other stuff.

Depending on how you wish to connect your iMAC, you'll definately want to connect it to the router via network cable for the initial setup. Sometimes wireless isn't activated by the manufacturer, insome cases an initla password for wireless is printed on the bottom of the router. But go with a cable, because if you change a wireless setting, you'll get kicked out of the system and then have to use a cable for the setup anyway. Afterwards it's your choice if to stay with a cable or also go wireless.

This means that now the router controls internet access for you. It will open the internet for the first incoming computer, and extend the access to other computers.

On the router you will activate wireless functionality and wireless encryption. When you do so the system prompts you to create a password or passphrase. Depending on the encryption option you select this will be converted into a 26 digit number as a password (called WEP), or will be left as a password (called WPA or WPA2 - I recommed WPA).

Once you are finished, you can let your computers search for wireless networks. Once they find your router (the name you will see displayed on this list of wireless networks is usually the name of the product by default - but can be renamed for your ease - this is called 'SSID'), and you select it and click on it to connect, the computers recognises that encryption is in place and asks for a password. Only when they match can the computer connect. You can usually select that the computer can always connects to this network by default, so anytime someone wants to go online, they just start the internet browser.

Let me know if you need anything else. Potentially copy me on private message cos I don't always read this part of the forum.

Cheers,

Simon

Another thing:

jammy b*gger* with the 24 inch iMAC :eek:) - I am jealous now - just kidding, good choice.

I bought the 20 inch in December last year to replace my older G450 - I use it for my music stuff (Logic Pro etc) as I'm a hobby musician.
The only regrets I have is noticing that you can't wall mount the 20 inch version, you can do this with the 24 inch though.

If anyone is interested in having a listen check out my myspace page with some demo songs

http://www.myspace.com/2elements

and definately click on my first 2 friends simon http://www.myspace.com/2esimon ( me :eek:)
and Frank ( http://www.myspace.com/2efrank ) as we have another 4 demo songs each on there.

Cheers,

Simon

I am going to be buying a new 24 inch I Mac while giving my current Intel 17 inch I Mac to my daughter. I will be buying a new Mac Mini for my son for his bedroom.
I have a 20 mg broadband connection with virgin which will be set up on the 24 inch i mac. However I must admit I dont have a clue how to set up the other two wirelessly to connect to the internet. Can someone give me an ideal on how to do this and what I would need to buy.

Hope you are going to/have popped down to the new Applestore in Buchanan street - very good atmosphere this morning and a great store !!

If you can afford it the Apple Airport Extreme wireless router would be the easiest one to set up and go wireless on all 3 mac's :)

rgds

Jon

Hope you are going to/have popped down to the new Applestore in Buchanan street - very good atmosphere this morning and a great store !!

If you can afford it the Apple Airport Extreme wireless router would be the easiest one to set up and go wireless on all 3 mac's :)

rgds

Jon

Thanks mate.

I will be going but my Nephew sells PC's and Mac's to businesses and he will be able to sell me them at the prices without VAT:smashin:

So the Airport Extreme will do this I may be tempted by this.:thumbsup:

Nice one ;-) ... give me shout if you have any probs - I'm only over in G73 ...

Jon

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom