Putting SSD into PS4

PhoenixElvisNicholson

Novice Member
Everything is prepared.
I am going to swap the PS4 internal hard drive with
a 1tb SSD that is presently in an external case
Only hangup is
Sony's site freezes on downloading system software or updates
It is almost as if the links are dead or just totally unresponsive.

Anyone else run into this problem?

Wing80surfer

Nope, I've just downloaded it on my phone & the site/download worked just as expected. I'm uploading the file to my google drive, if you send me a PM with your email addy I'll 'share' the update file with you & you can then copy to USB.

Damian83

wondering why downloading on pc and then copying on usb, when everything can be done directly on PS4...

hippo99

Distinguished Member
wondering why downloading on pc and then copying on usb, when everything can be done directly on PS4...
Because Sony requires you to have the system software on a USB stick to reinstall it after changing the hard drive

Damian83

Because Sony requires you to have the system software on a USB stick to reinstall it after changing the hard drive
i remember installing new firmware directly from internet when ive put ssd in to my ps4 pro. but maybe i dont remember well then

hippo99

Distinguished Member
i remember installing new firmware directly from internet when ive put ssd in to my ps4 pro. but maybe i dont remember well then
Nope, both PS3 & PS4 always required you to reinstall the system software via USB stick if you change the hard drive.

The new hard drive is blank & doesn’t have the system software installed that would enable you to go online in the first place, remember.
The PS3/PS4 BIOS however can load up & reinstall the software from the USB stick.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom