putting speakers on their sides

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by andicapped, Feb 1, 2009.

1. andicapped

andicapped
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    as the tilte suggests i'm asking a possibly silly question. in an effort to save headroom i want to mount my MA RS1's on their sides, is this a daft idea or does it make no differnce as long as they are pointed in the right direction?

also, any suggestions on how to mount them high up and have them tilted towards the listening position?

thnaks in advance,
    andy

2. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    Only problem is you'll have to turn your head to one side to hear the music. Other than that it's a good idea.

3. WHITE.AKITA

WHITE.AKITA
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    i have used speakers on their side before, i found they sounded best when the tweeters were to the left of the left speaker and to the right of the right speaker !

4. andicapped

andicapped
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74

:confused:

5. andicapped

andicapped
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    ok, so it shouldn't be a najor issue? the RS1's in question will be used as surround speakers in my 5.1 set-up, no music or anything like that will be played through them just surround audio

6. GW43

GW43

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    As most centre speakers seem to be one or two midrange drivers with a tweeter alongside or in between I can't see it making a huge difference to be honest!

7. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I think they'll be fine, there was recent thread using centre speakers for satellites and I don't believe anyone said that was a bad idea.

Speaking as someone who noticed last week one of his rears was actually upside down :suicide:, (don't laugh, 9.0's look pretty similar either way up, though the manufacturer name being upside should have tipped me off), and didn't notice any difference, I would be interested to hear from anyone the rational for tweeter top and woofers bottom arrangement (other than it is more aesthetically pleasing).

Chris

8. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    perhaps because the sound omited by the tweeter is a tad more directional than the bass/mid-range, therefore having the tweeter at the top of a floor standing or standmount arangement would make sense to me as the tweeter would be more in level/line with the listeners ear whilst sat down. to be honest thats purely a guess, so dont slate me for being wrong to much...:)

andy

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  9. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314

That was actually with centre speakers which are designed by the manufacturer to be used in that orientation. I use them currently in a stereo format. As ever, the proof of the pudding...

Graham

10. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Possible, and I agree that tweeters are more directional than than woofers, so this may hold some weight with floorstanders perhaps, not sure it makes a lot of difference with my 9.1 fronts on stands though.

Just watched a program on natural selection (David Attenborough - BBC HD in 5.1 :)), and am now convinced that speakers with woofers at the top probably existed st some point, but died out due to their top heavy arrangement when with confronted small children. :D

Chris

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
  11. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    Sorry, forgot not all centres are in the woofer-tweeter-woofer orientaion (the correct term escapes me for now) designed for horizontal use, which are the type I was referring to.

Chris

12. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    im pretty sure that in the aegis neo owners manual it states the ideal height for the neo 1's + stands to be the same as the neo 3 floorstanders, so im guessing its for this reason. il dig out the booklet and see what it says tomorrow :smashin:

andy

13. ChrisAV

ChrisAV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +110
    I'm not sure absolute height is relevant, it's the position of the drivers relative to one another that I was questioning. Whilst I fully accept it makes some sense to place the larger (and heavier drivers) lower (for stability), and that that tweeters are more directional than woofers (so should be about ear level), is there ant other reason, other than convention that dictates tweeter on top and woofer below? In short, would my Diamond 9.1's sould any worse upside down and why (before you ask, its about 3.30 in the morning and my neighours below probaly wouldn't appreciate me testing at this hour).

I'm not disputing it's the best way to arrange the drivers, just curious to know if there are any other factors other than those alluded to above.

And apologies to the orignal poster for dragging this away from the oriignal topic.

Chris

14. cunny678

cunny678

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    My first set of speakers over 20 years ago were mission 700's. These were the first speaker to have bass/mid at top and tweeter at bottom. Caused quite a stir at the time but wiped the floor with everything else at that price level at the time! There was a technical reason why they said this layout was better, but I cant for the life of me remember!

Mission went on to use this layout on most of their speakers for years and won some top awards so I guess it should not be a problem.

Never tried them upside down though:)

15. bohane

bohane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    my appolagies also for bringing the thread of topic, i think i may start a thread on the subject of driver configuration as it seems quite an interesting topic ;)

andy