Question Putting my sub into an alcove on its side - problem?

da_murphster

Established Member
Reaction score
Just bought a new M&K V12 to replace my current sub.

Its bigger than I thought and to tuck it away would mean putting it on its side - bit of googling says this should not be a problem in theory.

My questions are:

1 - is putting the sub into an alcove 'bad'?

2 - there are obviously no rubber feet on its side - what can I use to rest it on? Ideally I don't want to cosmetically damage the sub if I ever want to put it the right way up again. I was thinking a rubber mat or stick on rubber feet. Any links to anything I could use?

2019-05-14 10.02.15.jpg

2 - there are obviously no rubber feet on its side - what can I use to rest it on? Ideally I don't want to cosmetically damage the sub if I ever want to put it the right way up again. I was thinking a rubber mat or stick on rubber feet. Any links to anything I could use?

To test it you could just use something like a towel. Longer term I'd consider some Sorbothane hemispheres.

I can't see any reason there would be an issue with lying the sub on its side but you could ask M&K just to put your mind at ease. You'll need space behind the sub for cables and note any advice on space needed behind for cooling.

Acoustically how it will perform in that spot in your room your best bet is simply to try it.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks, the sub was used when I bought it but the rubber feet do not want to come off!

I assume these would do?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fonotek-So...13400K7VFT2&psc=1&refRID=V7AM610M513400K7VFT2

(V12 is 21kg)

Yes, or these which are very slightly cheaper:

4 x SORBOTHANE 40mm ANTI-VIBRATION HEMISPHERES/FEET. Turntables, Speakers etc. 5060394890095 | eBay

If you stick any feet to the sub itself it will likely become permanently marked. These you could put flat side down on the floor where they need to be and then put the sub on top. Or have the sub in place and then lift up one side and put two of the hemispheres under it, and then do the other side. Well, assuming it's not too tight a fit under your shelf of course. I've put floorstanding speakers on hemispheres like this before BTW, it's not as tricky as I may have made that sound!

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom