Putting it all together - advice plz!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Kronin, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all :)

Ive just started buying and planning my first home cinema setup, its only going to be based on a modest budget - but heres what I have so far, or intend to buy :

TV : Sony 28" widescreen (KV-28LS35U)
    DVD : Philips DVDR880
    Receiver : Havent got this yet, im going for a Denon AVR1802 or a Marantz SR4300
    Speakers : Just got these today, Mission M70's and a 70ASE sub

So..... bearing in mind im a newbie, im ripping my hair out trying to work out what and how to put all of this lot together. Heres how I see it, please tell me If Its going to work :confused:

1) The TV is already connected to the DVD player via a scart cable so thats ok, but im going to need a 2xphono > 2xphono interconnect to connect the receiver to the back of the TV, right ?

2) The DVD player only has coaxial digital out not optical, so I think I need a digital coaxial cable to connect that to the receiver, still sounding ok ?

3) Now onto the speakers. Im getting really confused about what type of speaker cable I should be looking at, but I'll ask about that later. The back of the missions have regular spring clips, but I dont know what type of rear connections the Denon or Marantz has ? If Im forced to use bare wire on the speaker end, might I just as well use the same on the amp end ? Is that ok ?

4) And finally the sub. It came with this y-adaptor cable (about 3" long - is this JUST an adaptor cable or did Mission expect me to hang the sub 3 inches off the back of the receiver?!) - with 2 phono plugs that go into the back of the sub, but how do I connect the actual receivers sub output to this ?

Told you I was a newbie! If I am right in all of that above, hows this for a "cabling shopping list" ?

1 x IXOS 104 interconnect (for the Receiver > TV)
    1 x IXOS 105 Digital Coaxial Interconnect (for the DVD > Receiver)
    1 x IXOS 1141 Gamma Audition Sub. Cable (Is this right for Receiver > Sub ?)
    And then some actual speaker cable, any suggestions on that ? If Im going to be a true IXOS fanatic then I suppose I'll try their speaker cable too. But bearing in mind that Im going to need about 20metres, Im after something "budgety" - Is QED original ok to start with ?

Sorry for the longwinded post, If someone could confirm that my proposed cabling setup is going to work then it would be much appreciated :)

Then I just need to find somewhere to buy it from - any suggestions on a good cabling supplier online ? (have been looking at www.hificables.co.uk)

Thanks again.

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    There's no mention of VCR or Digibox so assuming that you have neither you won't need the phono cables from the TV to the receiver.

Decent scart from DVD player will take care of the picture and a co-axial digital cable from the DVD player to the receiver will take care of the sound.

I don't know your sub but assuming that it is fairly standard you will need a cable with a single phono at either end plugging one into the sub outlet on the receiver and the other into one of the phono sockets on the subwoofer. Don't bother using the adaptor.

Just buy the best speaker cable that you can afford. Both QED and Ixos are good makes. On my system I have better cable for the front three than the two rears.

I buy my cables and interconnects from forum sponsors - hifibitz who offer competitive prices and good service. Click on the top right of the screen.

3. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply - I think Ive got it all figured out now.

I dont use a VCR or a digibox, but wouldnt I still need to connect the TV to the receiver just so that I can watch terrestrial TV through the setup ?

The sub has two sets of spring clips for speaker in and out, aswell as two phono inputs marked "low level in" - so its one of these that I just plug the sub output on the receiver into using a single phono connector ? Does it matter which phono input on the sub I plug it into ?

And finally, any recommendations on how to connect the speaker cable to the back of the receiver (the Denon or the Marantz) ? Can I just plug bare wire into the spring clips on the speakers and then do the same on the receiver, or do I need to get plugs of some sort?

Thanks once again for your help - I'll be sure to check out hifibitz.

Kronin.

4. Oli

Oli

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    The hificables prices look insane!

2meters of Airloc terminated QUDOS Silver Anniversary, £62.00

:eek:

Thats ridiculous! You can get that for £20.00 at www.hifijunkies.co.uk

5. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oli - your right, hificables do look more expensive on some of their stuff. Ive just had a look at hifijunkies and their prices look good and they seem to sell all the things im after, but have you ever ordered anything from them ? Reliable/fast delivery ?

Thanks for the link anyway m8.

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Sorry, I forgot that some people watch TV. I addition to the above, a pair of phono leads from TV output to the receiver input will do the job.

Ignore the speaker connectors on the sub as you will cable the speakers direct to the receiver. You can probably use either phono input on the sub and just connect with a single phono connector. Hifibitz sell a 3 mtr subwoofer cable for £9.99

Bare wires into the receiver and speakers will do. Banana plugs make life easier if you are continually playing with the kit but aren't really necessary

7. Kronin

Kronin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Thanks once again. I just placed an order with hifibitz, got all my IXOS cables (including the cheaper sub cable you mentioned), and even managed to pick up some brackets for my M70's - im chuffed! ;)

Fingers crossed its all in stock and they can deliver it quick.

Cheers Ian.

Kronin.