1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting Dv79 atop AVR300?

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by ntang, Oct 4, 2005.

1. ntang

ntang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I am just wondering whether I could stack my DV79 atop the AVR300 without causing heat iussues. I noticed that the AVR300 runs quite hot but for aesthetic reasons, I would love to be able to stack the 2 machines. Not sure why the always picture components sitting atop each other when nobody seems to do that in reality.

BTW, I have the AVR300 is a cabinet which is open in the front with a good 10 inches of space at the top and a couple inches by the sides. At the back, perhaps 3 inches

/Nick

2. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I wouldn't (DV27a & AVR300). The AVR runs too hot.

3. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Same here

4. LFCRules

LFCRules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Hi Nick,

I think you are going to get a unanimous decision here :) don't stack them on top of each other. As cwik has said, the AVR300 does throw up an lot of heat, as do most powerful amps. And you are more likely to damage the AVR300 not allowing it to breath ;)

All the advertising is misleading, and just done for asthetic reasons, not practical ones when using the equipment. In fact, you could do them for false advertising :rotfl:

Cheers

Andy

5. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    Due to the depth of the DV79 it may be more practical for you to stack them the other way round. The casework of the DV79 is quite sturdy and should not have any problems supporting the AVR300. Putting the DV79, or anything for that matter, on top of the AVR300 is asking for trouble and it's only a matter of time before something goes wrong.

6. ntang

ntang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crustyloafer

Right now..I have the AVR300 sitting in a cabinet that is open in the front. About 5-6 inches from the top of the AVR, another removable shelf has been installed to hold the DV79.

Even then, the DV79 gets quite hot as a result of heat emitted by the AVR300, 5 inches down and seperated by a 1/2 inch plywood shelf

Just wanted advice as to whether tha'd be ok

/Ninck

7. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you really want to stack your equipment, then I would go for putting the 300 on top of the DV79. Heat wise but also the weigth of the 300 will make your 79 more stable, less vibration etc.

8. spikeyboyo

spikeyboyo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As others have said i wouldnt stack on top of the AVR300.

I learnt my lesson the hard way on my old Denon AVR3300 - had it located in a corner with no room to the back or two sides, nothing on top of it or to the rear so thought it would be ok, then one new years eve with it banging out music from all 5 channels at full volume it just packed up - damn thing felt like a cooker.

Turns out the transformer had blown - lucky it was all done under 2 year warranty.

As a result i always try to make sure that amps have plenty of ventilation.

9. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,237
    The way you have it set up at the moment is fine, the amoutn of heat your DV79 is receiving through the shelf should be a clear indication that it is unwise to put anything directly on top of the AVR300. As I stated earlier there should not be any major issues with placing the AVR300 on top of the DV79 shuod you require the space it occupies at the moment.

10. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    The simple answer is Dont Do It.

You should feel the heat from the P1000.

At least my heating bills will be lower this winter :rotfl: :clap: