• Welcome to AVForums running Xenforo 2.2. The upgrade from 2.1 was successful and finished in just 90 minutes. We're still rebuilding the database indexes, so searches won't be reliable for a few hours, but we feel it's more important to bring the forums back online. The most notable changes in 2.2 are listed in this post. Thank you for your patience.

Putting Bookshelf Speakers on the Floor (Good/bad?)

druggedUK

Standard Member
I just got some new bookshelf speakers yesterday, and because of money and the shape of the room/furniture, the 'best' placement for them is on the floor in the two corners of a wall.

I just wondered, what benefits would I get from using a stand?

Also, although the speakers sound good in the room (and the bass 'feels' nice), they can create quite severe vibrations in nearby rooms - is this because they're on the floor? Do stands keep the 'feel' of the bass, but stop vibrations running through the walls?

also if there's any DIY solutions I can try with materials lying about the house to prevent vibrations, i'd be happy to know of them. =)

RossFlet

Novice Member
I just got some new bookshelf speakers yesterday, and because of money and the shape of the room/furniture, the 'best' placement for them is on the floor in the two corners of a wall.

I just wondered, what benefits would I get from using a stand?

Much cleaner sound for a start because you'll isolate the speakers from the "room". I'd be surprised if you weren't getting quite boomy bass particularly if you have the speakers close to the corners of the room as well. I have floor standers which are up on 2" spikes. You are not aware of them in the room below even in a timber framed house. If you're serious, stands for your speakers should be next on your list. There's generally a few around on the second hand market. I think you'll find your vibration problems disappear as well providing you don't run them too loud.

ARNOLD AKIEN

Novice Member
Hi druggedUK and welcome to the forums,

The speakers need to be in line with your ears and not with your feet...unless you have a really eccentric listening position.

You will find that the sound staging will be much better if the speakers are on stands or wall brackets at ear height and not too tight into the corners of the room.

Until you can decide whether or not to wall mount or place on custom designed stands you could experiment with improvised speaker stands perhaps using any materials that you might have around bearing in mind that the stands should be as heavy and solid as possible.

I have my bedrooms stereo speakers on adjustable wooded kitchen stools that I happened to have handy and these work so well I've never got around to buying speaker stands but you could use stacks of books or bricks or a couple of bedside tables .. anything that will place the speakers drive units roughly in line with your ears when you are in your customary seating/listening position.

I take it that you are listening to music in Stereo and so have only two speakers to worry about? You will find further advice on speaker placement here ....

Speaker Placement Guide - Surround Sound - Bowers & Wilkins | B&W Speakers

Its well worth your while to experiment with speaker placement.

Best wishes, and I do hope that you'll get lots of enjoyment from your new system.

Arnold.

Last edited:

rich m

Novice Member
I built myself some really smart shelves for my bookshelf speakers (you say your speakers are placed against the wall anyway). I picked up four wooden brackets (around £1.50 each in Ikea) and a shelf which i cut in two to make it the right size (around 20cm squared). Attached the brackets to the shelves and screwed into the wall and ended up with extremely sturdy shelves that look good and cost about a tenner in total. Also they don't take up any floor space and can't be knocked over.

D-an-W

I built myself some really smart shelves for my bookshelf speakers (you say your speakers are placed against the wall anyway). I picked up four wooden brackets (around £1.50 each in Ikea) and a shelf which i cut in two to make it the right size (around 20cm squared). Attached the brackets to the shelves and screwed into the wall and ended up with extremely sturdy shelves that look good and cost about a tenner in total. Also they don't take up any floor space and can't be knocked over.

Looking for ideas, you have any pictures?

rich m

Novice Member
FYI i allowed about 5cm extra space so the speakers are not right against the wall. Also my speakers are rear ported so i use bass bungs to ensure there is no boom against the wall.

Attachments

• stands 1.JPG
    stands 1.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 1,434
  • stands 2.JPG
    stands 2.JPG
    23.9 KB · Views: 2,985

rich m

Novice Member
I assume you just put the "cut" part towards the wall?

Yeah that's how i did it, it was only a fairly cheap shelf but happened to be the right colour and width, and the three visible edges were therefore unblemished. Got if from B&Q and they cut it with their machine so it is a very neat cut. Obviously if you planned to do something similar you could get two pieces of better quality wood cut to whatever size you wanted, dependent also on how much you wanted to spend.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I have my front speakers on the floor under the projector screen. There isn't room to have floorstanders or stands in there and still have the screen at the size it is. If you have to have them like that then it will be ok. When you're slumped on the sofa a few feet away you're closer to ear level than when standing up anyway and I never watch films standing up.
They sound fine and there is no boominess. But there is a thick carpet underneath them and I do live in a bungalow so I guess it's going to be hard to vibrate the room underneath as that would be somewhere in Australia.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom