Putting aside my Humax HDR Fox T2

HHGTTG

Prominent Member
Reaction score
What do you folks think of replacing a perfectly good Fox T2 with its recording limitations and replacing it with a Humax 5000t? I am prepared to spend my money with no problems but I read so many adverse comments about this machine that it is really a bit off putting.
I know forums like these always seems to focus on the negatives rather than the positive aspects and indeed was put off buying my current car because of car forums dedicated to that make (VW) but however I bought the latter and it's great!
The 5000t obviously offers to much more but the apparently clunky UI, slow start up and virtually invisible LED indicator light don't inspire confidence.
Any comments would be welcome.

Leaving aside the obvious advantages of the extensive catch up capability of the FVP-5000T, two HDR FOX T2's (both with the custom firmware) are a lot more capable than a FVP-5000T. Even without the custom firmware one HDR-FOX-T2 can replay anothers recordings (HD and SD). External viewing of FVP-5000T recordings is restricted to SD only.

I have two HDR-FOX-T2's and a FVP-5000T incidentally.

Leaving aside the obvious advantages of the extensive catch up capability of the FVP-5000T, two HDR FOX T2's (both with the custom firmware) are a lot more capable than a FVP-5000T. Even without the custom firmware one HDR-FOX-T2 can replay anothers recordings (HD and SD). External viewing of FVP-5000T recordings is restricted to SD only.

I have two HDR-FOX-T2's and a FVP-5000T incidentally.

Thanks for your reply. I am not the sort of person, unfortunately, who feels confident in doing firmware updates and really my TV habits (only having one TV in the house) are very minimal compared with people who write here and elsewhere whose lives seem to revolve around TV watching.
I have currently, about 14 timed programmes in my Humax for Series recording but these come and go as various series end. Nothing is kept longer than it needs to watch it and it is then deleted.
You speak of things that I don't really comprehend i.e. external viewings. These machines have so many features that I can't be bothered to use and that includes viewing photos, playing/storing music etc. etc. I treat mine purely as a time shift recording device for TV and I just felt like spending some of my money trying something new and improved though the latter doesn't seem to be the case, does it?

Well thanks, that is decisive. I wonder whether Humax, then, will address the current problems and then introduce yet another improvement on the 5000t?

Thanks for your reply. I am not the sort of person, unfortunately, who feels confident in doing firmware updates and really my TV habits (only having one TV in the house) are very minimal compared with people who write here and elsewhere whose lives seem to revolve around TV watching.
I have currently, about 14 timed programmes in my Humax for Series recording but these come and go as various series end. Nothing is kept longer than it needs to watch it and it is then deleted.
You speak of things that I don't really comprehend i.e. external viewings. These machines have so many features that I can't be bothered to use and that includes viewing photos, playing/storing music etc. etc. I treat mine purely as a time shift recording device for TV and I just felt like spending some of my money trying something new and improved though the latter doesn't seem to be the case, does it?

It's not a firmware replacement at all. The original Humax software is intact, it merely uses the built in hooks in Linux to allow the box to run commonly used Linux add ons that are mostly free. Of all the thousands and thousands of installs never seen any bricked boxes. Just the reverse in fact the CF gives you access to Linux File system disk check and repair routines that may well save your recordings for you.

Well thanks, that is decisive. I wonder whether Humax, then, will address the current problems and then introduce yet another improvement on the 5000t?

Don't get the wrong end of the stick. The FVP-4000T records reliably and has excellent pictures and the on demand services are excellent.

Suspect the box could do with more horsepower under the hood. A faster processor and or more memory is likely to be needed to improve the response to the remote, which of course is going to cost more.

There are certainly some ways to improve the usability that aren't processor related.

Simple example. When you look at a recorded series most would want the oldest episode to be highlighted rather than the newest. In the case of a lot of recordings it can take a while to locate the oldest.

The HDR-FOX-T2 makes good use of the coloured buttons for shortcuts. The FVP-5000T doesn't use them at all.

It's not a firmware replacement at all. The original Humax software is intact, it merely uses the built in hooks in Linux to allow the box to run commonly used Linux add ons that are mostly free. Of all the thousands and thousands of installs never seen any bricked boxes. Just the reverse in fact the CF gives you access to Linux File system disk check and repair routines that may well save your recordings for you.
Saving or losing recordings isn't of any real concern but losing the list of programs to record or 'Schedule' is a PITA after the many retunes one has to do.

Saving or losing recordings isn't of any real concern but losing the list of programs to record or 'Schedule' is a PITA after the many retunes one has to do.

The FVP-5000T has smart retune. The HDR-FOX-T2 with the custom firmware saves the recording schedule automatically and on demand. Restoring it is a single button press.

I have just gone from the HDR Fox T2 to the 5000t. Although the old T2 is good it is still a few years old tech and the 5000t has a better UI and catch up features. Yes the T2 has a great community of supporters but in truth it needs to record tv and play it back reliably.
They both do it but things like the three tuners , speed and catch up is better.

My opinion of course

Carl

Yes the T2 has a great community of supporters but in truth it needs to record tv and play it back reliably.
Mine does just that.:facepalm:

The 4000 and 5000Ts UIs have been reported to be buggy and slow and also reported to have a few quirks in them that are inherent in their GUI.
But don't listen to internet fora.
Ultimately, the only way to find out is to get one and see.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom