• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Putting a new motherboard and GFX card into a 1 year old build

j3ff3

Established Member
Hi,

I built an HTPC about a year ago now with a little help from round here but unfortunately the graphics card and motherboard have to be replaced under warranty. With all the tech advances i'm not sure which board is equivalent or compatible - so would appreciate some suggestions.

Do I take this opportunity to sell on my processor and upgrade?

Here is what I've got:

Kingston 4GB (2x2GB) DDR2 800MHz/PC2-6400 HyperX Memory Non-ECC CL5

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Socket 775 G0 Stepping L2 8MB Cache

Antec Sonata III case with 500W

and what I have to replace:

Inno3D 8800GT (G92) 512MB 256bit GDDR3 Dual DVI HDTVOut PCI-E Graphics card (160 pounds available for replacement)

Gigabyte GA-N650SLI-DS4L nForce 650i SLI Socket 775 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard (60 quid for replacement)

Basically if these two products are a year old should I get replacements worth the same value or save money and get replacements of the same quality/age? Or should I step it up and upgrade?

Cheers,

Nick

Grimley

Established Member
Well the graphics replacement will depend on whether you plan on on gaming with this rig.

If so, get either an 1gb Ati4850 or Nvida 9800GTX+.
if not a Ati 4650 will suffice (Ati is better for HTPC duties IMO)

Motherboard - Anything with a G33/P35/G43/P45 chipset will do, Gigabyte are pretty good IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom