1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Putting a centre speaker on its side

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jimmysil, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This may seem a daft question, but is there any reason why its not a good idea to put a centre speaker on its side.

Will this have a bad effect on the sound ?

The reason I ask is my new centre speaker (MS 905c) is a little large and would prefer it to go on its side.

2. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    No problem :smashin: Just try to keep the tweeter near ear level. Used to have a 504 as a centre rear and that was vertical.

3. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info Tons

I am very happy the 905c and my 903s can I add. :D

Regards

James

4. Nimby

Nimby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +669
    Putting it on its side might affect your center speaker's sound distribution in the room.

Having a drive unit either side of a tweeter must have a specific design purpose. Lower reflection from side walls perhaps due to a shaped (narrow) polar distribution pattern? For a more beamed effect at the listener. Better articulation on dialogue without delayed [phase shifted] reflected sounds spoiling clarity?

Best bet is always to simply to try it and see if you can hear a difference. If you can't, then there's no need to worry. Is there? :)

Nimby

5. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,147
    You are right but unless his room is very good indeed, there are umpteen other things that will get in the way first. Given that we have to voice centre speakers for a fairly large variation in mounting heights, turning it on one side will not prove very significant.