Putting 1st HD home kit together and upscaling confusion

Splash

OK sorry in advance for being a little thick. I'm putting together my 1st system.

Already have the following lined up...

1: Sky HD box
2: Sony 40" KDL-40W2000 LCD TV

Now I'm looking at the DVD and AVAMP / Receiver options.

Thinking about the Sony STR DA1200ES as What Hi Fi sound and vision has it listed as having upscaling. But looking at the Sony web site it appears not to have upscaling.

The chap from Sony recommended buying the RDR-HXD860 as this has upscaling... but I've already bought a Sony HDD/DVD writer 2 years ago and dont really need three HDD recorders in the house with the SKYHD box!

So couple of questions...
1: Upscaling.. does this upscale the standard sky signal or just DVDs? and is this different for upscaling in the AMP or DVD.

2: Where is it best to do the upsclaing or does it not matter.

3: Any other options?

Thanks
:thumbsup:

bigtim

OK sorry in advance for being a little thick. I'm putting together my 1st system.

Already have the following lined up...

1: Sky HD box
2: Sony 40" KDL-40W2000 LCD TV

Now I'm looking at the DVD and AVAMP / Receiver options.

Thinking about the Sony STR DA1200ES as What Hi Fi sound and vision has it listed as having upscaling. But looking at the Sony web site it appears not to have upscaling.

The chap from Sony recommended buying the RDR-HXD860 as this has upscaling... but I've already bought a Sony HDD/DVD writer 2 years ago and dont really need three HDD recorders in the house with the SKYHD box!

So couple of questions...
1: Upscaling.. does this upscale the standard sky signal or just DVDs? and is this different for upscaling in the AMP or DVD.

2: Where is it best to do the upsclaing or does it not matter.

3: Any other options?

Thanks
:thumbsup:
Unless you buy an expensive dedicated scaler or a DVD player with a good 1080p scaler in it you've best off leaving the scaler in TV to do it and feed it just a regular 576 signal.

See the thread here:
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3942949#post3941194

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom