Push Email - Can it push a bit harder please?

johnnyuk

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

Apologies for the thread title!

My wife has just bought an iPhone 3G and she uses a POP email account with Yahoo (the one where you pay $10 p.a.).

Since I've been playing with it, I have noticed something that in my mind would be a deal breaker to get me off my Blackberry (besides all the carrier locking business!). That's if I've understood the issue properly!

With my Blackberry, I get notified of an email as long as I have a GPRS connection. I've noticed that if the iPhone is not being used (i.e. in standby when you have to slide the slider!) then there is no notification. If it's being used and "awake" then emails do flow in. Have I got the wrong end of the stick? I haven't had a chance to try it out and about using 3G etc.

Any advice most welcome!

Cheers

John

You get a sound as a notification but no pop up like when you get a text message. A pop up message would be alot better as it would save you waking your phone up to see if you have had an email if you have been away from your phone.

You get a sound as a notification but no pop up like when you get a text message. A pop up message would be alot better as it would save you waking your phone up to see if you have had an email if you have been away from your phone.

Thanks for the quick reply - I don't get a sound unless the phone is awake..

If your wife is on 2.1 firmware there is an issue with push. 2.2 should fix it.

If your wife is on 2.1 firmware there is an issue with push. 2.2 should fix it.

Thanks - has 2.2 been released? She updated with iTunes about 5 days ago, but I don't recall what firmware version she ended up with...

EDIT: OK, just googled 2.2 and the lack of push on standby seems to be the major "wish" for this version - I'll have to wait until that's fixed before I part with my hard earned... Thanks to everyone for their help.

Last edited:
From what I've read 2.2 is with testers so it shouldnt be too long before its released.

Hello All

Further to my original post, I'm pleased to say that I have just received an unlocked iPhone from Italy and am using it on Vodafone UK with Microsoft Exchange and Push works perfectly (and even a little faster than my Blackberry, I guess due to the use of Wi-Fi at home).

Hope that helps!

John

I agree with the other posts about the push email it will only push when you are using the phone or push the " home " button " which for me has plus and minus,,, minus is it's not truly pushing the email as soon as you get it but on the plus side I'm not getting emails pushed to me in the middle of the morning and wakening me up.

On my nokia you could set up when you wanted your phone to check and you could specify the day and the times,,, for me it was normally Mon - Fri 7am till 11pm and the weekend was normally 9am till 11pm which meant anything outside of this time would wait until the following morning,,, but you could still manually retrieve if you felt you were missing something..

I've only got my gmail account set up so do get some spam emails at 2 in the morning so it kinda suits me the current set up unless they use the nokia idea of the user selecting the days and times for the phone to retrieve the emails... my opinion though :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hi

I have an iPhone 3G and a Blackberry Bold. When I get an email on my iPhone it looks better. I mean html emails open correctly, attachments are easier to open etc. However email truns up on my iPhone once in a while. Sometime if I check my iPhone first thing in the morning you can see that it has not checked for email since the night before. My Blackberry Bold appears to get mail as soon as it hits my inbox.

In my view if Apple could sort out the way the iPhone checks for email so thats its as quick as the Blackberry then the iPhone would be better than the current Blackberry's.

Rich

My Yahoo mail has also stopped pushing completely the last few days after working fine since i set it up around a month ago. Tried every fix I could find on the internet except a restore but no luck so guess I'll wait for the next update.

Off topic but will the iphone restore the music library from backup as I dont have my entire library on there and I'd hate to have to move it all manually again

Any news on when 2.2 is coming out? I hear that 2.1 totally broke Yahoo push mail, hopefully 2.2 will fix that.

I only just got my iphone but I can imagine how annoyed I would be to have this function just plain broken for the whole life of firmware 2.1 :(

If you use push email with a proper push server, ie Microsoft Exchange or Apples Me, then push works fine and has done since version 2.

The people having problems are those that use gmail, yahoo and similar free email services that are not proper push.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom