PUS9005 (and other 2020 models) - Changing HDMI Sources is a pain, how are people changing HDMI inputs with universal remotes?

PepsiWithIce

Standard Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately I cannot use my (or any) universal media remote with this TV. There are no dedicated HDMI Buttons on the remote to learn the codes from, and the HDMI buttons on the harmony remote do not work.

I cannot even use a sequence of button presses because the HDMI menu changes order each time depending on what the last active device was / is.

A USB keyboard should work to change the HDMI inputs, on Android TVs the function keys are normally mapped to HDMI inputs F1 = HDMI 1, F2 = HDMI 2 etc. but the function keys are locked out on a USB Keyboard so I can't use that either.

Next, i have tried sending commands to Android directly with ADB, but both "KEY_HDMI1" and "KEYCODE_TV_INPUT_HDMI_1" are also not functional.

Next I tried a Raspberry Pi with CEC-Client, now you should be able to change HDMI inputs with RAW CEC commands, but no. The CEC commands to change input, also do not work. (i can change the volume with this method)

All of the home automation (Home Assistant, OpenHAB, Smartthings) do not work as they rely on the Android ADB method.

All i want to be able to do is change the HDMI without using the included remote, it's been hours of tinkering and now I am out of ideas :( but all off the above should work

Last edited:
Mine happily changes between sources using the firestick 4k remote or sky remote, switches over fine if that's what you mean?

not quite, so I have a Harmony Universal Remote connected to Alexa. so i can say "Alexa, Movie Mode" and she will talk to Hue and dim the lights.

And then she talks to the Harmony Remote, which turns on the TV and sets it "HDMI 3". except it can't be set to an HDMI input direct, as there is no button on the Philips remote for the Universal harmony remote to learn from. So I have to use the Philips remote to open the sources menu and manually go down to HDMI 3.

Which defeats the point of a universal remote and smart features

not quite, so I have a Harmony Universal Remote connected to Alexa. so i can say "Alexa, Movie Mode" and she will talk to Hue and dim the lights.

And then she talks to the Harmony Remote, which turns on the TV and sets it "HDMI 3". except it can't be set to an HDMI input direct, as there is no button on the Philips remote for the Universal harmony remote to learn from. So I have to use the Philips remote to open the sources menu and manually go down to HDMI 3.

Which defeats the point of a universal remote and smart features

I can't be of any help, I'm afraid, but I am so glad you posted this. I have considered getting a Philips TV, but this issue completely rules that out.

I actually contacted Philips customer service and Logitech regarding this issue.
Logitech said that Philips never responded to their request for remote commands and Philips essentially said "nope, we don't do that. We might do it in the future. Could be a year from now though. Oh well."
I find it quite strange they don't have direct input selection remote commands.
Especially disappointing since I just bought a Philips TV.
I started a separate thread with a Poll to see how many "Yes" votes we can get for this feature. Hopefully, Philips will take notice.

I actually contacted Philips customer service and Logitech regarding this issue.
Logitech said that Philips never responded to their request for remote commands and Philips essentially said "nope, we don't do that. We might do it in the future. Could be a year from now though. Oh well."
I find it quite strange they don't have direct input selection remote commands.
Especially disappointing since I just bought a Philips TV.
I started a separate thread with a Poll to see how many "Yes" votes we can get for this feature. Hopefully, Philips will take notice.

Philips TV is weird organization which has plenty potential in their products but lack of drive in fulfilling right demand... They don't care as revenue drive is sufficient without worrying about minority with special requests.
Probably can't help much, but would you not be able to utilize button mapper app? Also did this model of TV not included Alexa? as I am sure I was reading somewhere than even last year models Alexa could control input? So surely there is command to flick over if it can.

As for philips support, I kinda doubt if you were speaking with anyone who has clue. Philips like others probably subcontract support so responds are shocking... They even refer you to third party websites when you ask more details about their own product ?!
One time I asked audio processing schematic and been told not available when there was actually page in manual to show it...

Philips TV is weird organization which has plenty potential in their products but lack of drive in fulfilling right demand... They don't care as revenue drive is sufficient without worrying about minority with special requests.
Probably can't help much, but would you not be able to utilize button mapper app? Also did this model of TV not included Alexa? as I am sure I was reading somewhere than even last year models Alexa could control input? So surely there is command to flick over if it can.

As for philips support, I kinda doubt if you were speaking with anyone who has clue. Philips like others probably subcontract support so responds are shocking... They even refer you to third party websites when you ask more details about their own product ?!
One time I asked audio processing schematic and been told not available when there was actually page in manual to show it...

I’m haven’t really looked into the button mapper app, however I think since I’m using one of their Saphi OS TVs, I don’t think this app is available. (Correct me if I’m wrong). Not sure about the OP who might be able to fix their issue with that app if the tv is android based.

The person I spoke to from Philips support was UK based (by their accent) and they also acknowledged that a few others had requested this feature, but it was up to the software team to implement it and that it was essentially out of his hands. Basically hit a brick wall then.

I’m amazed with this massive oversight on their part.
I’m really hoping enough Twitter, AV forum and requests to their support line will push them to implementing it.

we can do it together!

I’m haven’t really looked into the button mapper app, however I think since I’m using one of their Saphi OS TVs, I don’t think this app is available. (Correct me if I’m wrong). Not sure about the OP who might be able to fix their issue with that app if the tv is android based.

The person I spoke to from Philips support was UK based (by their accent) and they also acknowledged that a few others had requested this feature, but it was up to the software team to implement it and that it was essentially out of his hands. Basically hit a brick wall then.

I’m amazed with this massive oversight on their part.
I’m really hoping enough Twitter, AV forum and requests to their support line will push them to implementing it.

we can do it together!

I am sure pus9005 (thread name?) is Android TV OS. Saphi OS I think is some sort of fork of android just stripped down from most features. It still could possibly support same commands.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom