PUS8536 - Stopped turning on from standby

monkeyjim

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I vaguely remember reading something about this, but my search has proven fruitless. I updated the firmware the TV last Friday, all seemed well.
On Tuesday morning this week, my other half told me that the TV wouldn't switch on. I unplugged it for a minute, turned it on and it was fine until I switched it off, before I left for work. On returning from work, I found the same thing, it wouldn't switch on. It's been the same every day.

I've tried disconnecting everything, unplugging it for a while, turning it back on. Still the same.

I contacted Philips support yesterday and they told me to do the One Button Recovery (OBR), where you unplug the tv, hold the joystick towards you power on, and it does a reset and installs the previous firmware. After all that, I set up all the apps, went back through the picture calibration settings and everything seemed fine.

Turned off the TV, went to bed, got up, you guessed it - the TV won't turn on.

I'm starting to think that this is a hardware issue, but was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of this.

My set up comprises of an Apple TV, PS5 and a Sonos beam with which we use Alexa for turning on and off. All plugged into the HDMI ports. I also have a USB HDD, which I'm testing in a different USB port because I have heard the occasional ping from it. I may just be paranoid though.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
J

Hello,
I vaguely remember reading something about this, but my search has proven fruitless. I updated the firmware the TV last Friday, all seemed well.
On Tuesday morning this week, my other half told me that the TV wouldn't switch on. I unplugged it for a minute, turned it on and it was fine until I switched it off, before I left for work. On returning from work, I found the same thing, it wouldn't switch on. It's been the same every day.

I've tried disconnecting everything, unplugging it for a while, turning it back on. Still the same.

I contacted Philips support yesterday and they told me to do the One Button Recovery (OBR), where you unplug the tv, hold the joystick towards you power on, and it does a reset and installs the previous firmware. After all that, I set up all the apps, went back through the picture calibration settings and everything seemed fine.

Turned off the TV, went to bed, got up, you guessed it - the TV won't turn on.

I'm starting to think that this is a hardware issue, but was just wondering if anyone else has any experience of this.

My set up comprises of an Apple TV, PS5 and a Sonos beam with which we use Alexa for turning on and off. All plugged into the HDMI ports. I also have a USB HDD, which I'm testing in a different USB port because I have heard the occasional ping from it. I may just be paranoid though.

Thanks in advance for any insight.
J
I have this TV and migrated to the same firmware and did an OBR too, it sounds like as it is coming out of standby if you turn it off and then on that it is a firmware bug. You may need to request a full firmware from Philips rather than the upgrade file in case the upgrade has corrupted the wake out of sleep ( standby ) when it upgraded the firmware.

Seen it on the past with a Tesco TV I owned and returned it in the end, but that was crap software from out. But, does sound some form of firmware corruption..

Thanks for the reply, I've been away for a while.

They did release a new firmware version, which they told me to try - no difference.

Also, getting a weird symptom that if it does turn on first time, it turns off after a few minutes; leaving the Ambilights on for a short while.

They requested a video of this, which I did my best with, but as it happens spontaneously I can hardly get it at the exact time it's happening!

Anyway, will keep the thread updated just in case anyone else has this problem.

Quick update, after a couple of firmware updates Philips have arranged to repair my TV. Equinox picked it up on Thursday, so on the backup 32" Sony which is still going strong after ten years.
As good as the Philips was when it worked, I wished I'd gone for the Samsung I was weighing up at the time. Now I've had this fault, lost confidence in Philips entirely.

The TV came back last night, set it up watch TV, put it in standby. Guess what, wouldn't wake this morning!

EDIT
So, after a less than satisfactory email to Philips, I got in touch with the retailer and they agreed to let me return for a refund. I was actually gong to go for another manufacturer, but they had the Philips for £140 less than I paid, so I've bitten the bullet and gone for another. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom