- - - -
Improvements for wireless mesh networking
Improvements for playback in some VOD services
Improvements for Alexa
Now works with Google Assistant in DE and UK
General and stability improvement
Hi everyone!
i have the same problem with 55PUS7855.
updated the firmware today - the image has improved significantly.

Hi everyone!
i have the same problem with 55PUS7855.
updated the firmware today - the image has improved significantly.
In what way it is improved?
I don’t see any difference to be honest.

Before updating with these settings:
backlight contrast 80
brightness 50
the portrayal in dark scenes was very poor.
I had to reduce the backlight contrast to the minimum values and increase the brightness almost to the maximum.
After updating the firmware with 80 contrast and 50 brightness, the image is clearly better.
I mainly watch digital TV and films in FHD quality

I also don't see any improvement after installing the update, unfortunately. Still seeing washed out and grainy blacks/dark scenes.

I also don't see any improvement after installing the update, unfortunately. Still seeing washed out and grainy blacks/dark scenes.
After some experimentation, I set the settings like this:
  • backlight contrast 86
  • brightness 38
  • video contrast 86
  • expert control settings - all off!
The image, of course, is not perfect, but it has become much better.
Try it.

After some experimentation, I set the settings like this:
  • backlight contrast 86
  • brightness 38
  • video contrast 86
  • expert control settings - all off!
The image, of course, is not perfect, but it has become much better.
Try it.
Thanks, I'll give it a try later.
I just would have thought that if they're going to fix it that they would fix it on the default settings. I've been messing around trying to get it right since the update and it just always looks awful in certain scenes no matter what.

Thanks, I'll give it a try later.
I just would have thought that if they're going to fix it that they would fix it on the default settings. I've been messing around trying to get it right since the update and it just always looks awful in certain scenes no matter what.
I know your pain. If I turn backlight contrast above 5, I always have pixelated blacks/grainy blacks...

Hello everyone,

I've been following this thread as I have a 55PUS7855 too and a detail of importance that seems to have been shuned from the beginning is the one about the panel technology. As far as I know and from what I've read, and please correct me if I'm wrong, it seems that 50", 58" and 70" models use VA panels while 43", 55", 65" and 75" ones use IPS panels. And from what I've read most of you guys (7 at least) seem to either have a 50", 58" or 70" model except for one or two of you that may have a 55 or 43.

My 55" sure is IPS and while for sure it lacks details in dark scenes, there are oftentimes crushed colors and banding (the default settings of the november firmware really don't look very good except on colorful content like animation anyway). However I don't seem to encounter horrible dark patches issues like a lot of you have.

Most of my issue are saphi related like the integrated netflix app freezing and lagging to a crawl, the alexa skill barely working, CEC (easylink) suddenly stopping working and being very unreliable in general, the TV UI needing 10sec to pop up, the sound coming off the TV speakers is out of sync with other audio outputs (analog jack and digital outputs) resulting in a discernible echo if the TV speakers are let on, I didn't have that issue on my previous TV; it also seems that the auto contrast setting makes the picture flicker on fixed UI...

Received my OLED replacement from Phillips today, took around two weeks from them saying they were processing the repair/order to the engineer coming and swapping the TVs today. But the whole process was pretty painless, definitely keep pushing for a replacement if you're in the same boat as alot of us have been. Finally dark scenes don't look like a pixelated mess!

Hello all.

Coming from a 6 year old Philips Ambilight 55” tv to one of the 70” models listed in this thread I was thinking I was going mad. Washed out everything.

Came upon this thread earlier this evening and given I was watching something akin to a pavement chalk art version of blade runner I thought I’d try some of the settings listed here. Nothing made any difference.

Just did the latest update from the weekend and it looks a lot better. Wife has appeared now so blade runner had to stop, and no more testing today, but much as I’d love Philips to give me a new set, I’ll persevere for a little longer before trying that process, good to know it’s there as an option though.

Having had a Philips tv before, we gave up on the “smart” element within weeks of ownership as it was always very poor, zero updates and you can imagine how lousy a 6 year old Netflix app was, that’s if it even saw the network, either wired or wireless. I went into this with my eyes wide open and only wanted it as a viewing panel, but if it can’t do that very well, I’m out :)

As soon as I put 'backlight contrast on 1', I always have the following problem:
Zwartprobleem1.jpg

Even the 'black bars' at the top and bottom of te screen are doing something very strange... As you can see (Yes the grey/white blocks are on the screen also, has nothing to do with compression on the photo I've taken).

This was 4K content from Netflix (Movie: A sun)
I've contacted the Philips support.

After some more testing and me ultimately being sad that it's actually still pretty crap, I uploaded a series of images to Philips support Friday, only to receive an email asking me to send them some images. Hopefully they'll find them and get back to me.

This is a still from an episode streamed in Dolby Vision from an Apple TV 4K
IMG_3427.JPG

And this still was taken from the in-built Netflix app on the tv.
IMG_3431.JPG

I've spoken with Richer Sounds about this and they have a record of my indicating the TV is sub-par on the basis that Philips might do something about it, but to my mind, the images speak for themselves.

I'll try chasing Philips and see what they are intending to do after seeing the various stills I've sent them, but just in case, it'll have to go back to Richer Sounds.

What was the replacement unit they offered if you don't mind me asking @FatLog

After some more testing and me ultimately being sad that it's actually still pretty crap, I uploaded a series of images to Philips support Friday, only to receive an email asking me to send them some images. Hopefully they'll find them and get back to me.

View attachment 1464043

View attachment 1464055

I've spoken with Richer Sounds about this and they have a record of my indicating the TV is sub-par on the basis that Philips might do something about it, but to my mind, the images speak for themselves.

I'll try chasing Philips and see what they are intending to do after seeing the various stills I've sent them, but just in case, it'll have to go back to Richer Sounds.

What was the replacement unit they offered if you don't mind me asking @FatLog

I've now got model 55oled855/12 and the picture quality is immeasurably better and I haven't really changed it from the AI setting yet (I've had enough of tinkering with TV settings tbh)

Phillips did double up and request pictures from me a couple of times, even though I'd already sent them too - so I think that must be a common issue!

I too bought my original TV from Richer Sounds and they have carried over my 6 year warranty onto this one, once I had the serial number to give them.

Last edited:
I've now got model 55oled855/12 and the picture quality is immeasurably better and I haven't really changed it from the AI setting yet (I've had enough of tinkering with TV settings tbh)

Phillips did double up and request pictures from me a couple of times, even though I'd already sent them too - so I think that must be a common issue!

I too bought my original TV from Richer Sounds and they have carried over my 6 warranty onto this one, once I had the serial number to give them.
Appreciate that. The Philips I had for years was just left pretty much as standard, as is the Samsung in the other room. This was for a dedicated cinema room on a budget and I just feel so let down by Philips 😐 as I can’t be arsed to Fanny about with settings. On paper this ticked all the boxes too.

Tempted to send this back and just get a slightly more expensive Samsung really. Depends on what Philips say early part of next week.

Thanks for the reply.

View attachment 1464043

View attachment 1464055

What was the replacement unit they offered if you don't mind me asking @FatLog[/USE
[/QUOTE]
I had the same issus with my ATV4K, playing Dolby vision content. Latest update from apple fixed this. Do you have the latest update? Did you set tv setting HDMI to ultimate?
And on the ATV, I've put match frame rate and dynamic range to ON.

@JelGo it's the same image quality on the in-built Netflix client unfortunately.

I've decided to return the TV to Richer Sounds instead, and replace it with a Samsung. I'll forego the Ambilight in exchange for the extra 5 inches of a 75" instead. Shame really, but there we go.

i’ve contacted Philips in Belgium. They are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it with a software update. They told me to put the gamma to +4 in the meantime. This will fix most of the issues and I have to say, for me, it solved indeed most of the problems!

keep you guys updated with the info from Philips Benelux

i’ve contacted Philips in Belgium. They are aware of the issue and are trying to fix it with a software update. They told me to put the gamma to +4 in the meantime. This will fix most of the issues and I have to say, for me, it solved indeed most of the problems!

keep you guys updated with the info from Philips Benelux
Ahah they said to me to put gamma at -4. And it didn't solved anything on my tv (i think that i had already tried any possible settings combination)

I've tried both +4 and -4 and neither make much, if any, difference at all for me. Maybe if they gave a complete list of settings to try, it would be better.

I have the settings at plus 3 on gama and all processing turned of but dark scenes are still bad. Strange blacks and flat imagine. Any ideas?..

Having the same issue with blacks on my 50PUS7855, I've reported it to Philips on their website several days ago but not heard back yet.

Hey guys, I use this settings on the 58" version (VA panel) and I like how it looks

pic style: Vivid / HDR Vivid
colour: 100
backlight contrast : 85
sharpness: 5
brigtness: 50

expert mode:
colour enhancement: Max
colour temperature : Normal
contrast mode: optimized for pic
hdr plus: Med
video contrast: 80
gamma: 0
ultra res: on
noise reduction: Med
mpeg: Min
motion: Off

Attachments

• IMG_20210315_094514.jpg
    IMG_20210315_094514.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 464
  • IMG_20210315_093917.jpg
    IMG_20210315_093917.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 446
Hi all, need help with settings for 70PUS7805/12 been trying alot of diffrent settings but everything looks bad. Has anyone a good setup for this TV ?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom